Video: Driving a Chevy Spark on Snow Covered Roads

A front engine, front wheel drive car will have better traction than any a front engine rear wheel drive car! 

But once I owned a 1964 Corvair, with rear engine and rear wheel drive, and it had the best traction of any mass production car made. I was the only employee among 800 at our plant, who made it home without getting stuck during the record breaking 1967 snow storm in Chicago. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice video, a little bit of snow never hurt anyone. I feel the younger generation is getting *very* weak on dealing with snow with everyone crying and whining. Did you get winter tires? Usually you can dive right through snow in a good set of winter tires. I didn't get any this season, but maybe next year. I like to travel in winter.

BTW, that does look like quite a snow storm. I don't think we've had a snowfall as heavy as that here in the Toronto area for quite some time. It looks like the US east coast has been hit far harder this year than up this direction.

If I ever moved to a place where snow piles up, I want my 1964 Corvair Monza back! It never needed snow tires. But with any other car get winter/snow tires. Makes huge differece. We had this record breaking blizzard in Chicago in 1967 and I was one of the few who made it home from work.

Something about that rear engine+rear wheel drive car...best traction ever on snow. Too bad such cars are not made anymore, Another advantage of that configuration was that the front end was very light and thus did not need power assisted steering. 

It was air cooled engine, so none of the problems with coolant leaks and coolant hoses. The engine was a flat 4 with opposed pistons. The only weakness in the engine was the V-Belt . It did not last very long. Serpentine flat belts are so much more durable.

Edited by Bobby MSME
On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:20 PM, Fire Spark said:

Snow tires make a big difference but he's probably dragging bottom.  Even AWD vehicles get hung up when they run out of ground clearance. Like a turtle stuck on a rock. :)

True enough. It did look like a decent amount of snow. Its always somewhat hard to gauge in video vs real life.