• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 9:08 PM, sparkto said:

Is this at a specific speed? Do you lose power during the whine, and does it feel like its 'shifting' into a different ratio?

I do notice it slows down then speeds up for the 2 step part of the transmission. I didn't know if this was a characteristic or not. It seems to be working fine otherwise. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, zamlawls said:

yea i know about what hes talking about

ive got the samething

i just chocked it up to being normal

Based on other users' experiences, this is the way the CVT was designed. I wished the sales reps who sell these things would advise this, because for the first several months of ownership it took some time to realize this was a feature. Most CVT designs don't have this, I drove a CVT in several vehicles in the past (especially rentals) and they all either had a smooth acceleration gradient or a fake-gear ratio, but never this two step design.

It is new to me, but honestly it seems well designed. As long as its a well built transmission that lasts is the important thing. I hope it doesn't crap out at 150-200k.

13 hours ago, silverspark78 said:

Get the car from a dealership with a lifetime powertrain warranty like I did lol. 

I didn't know dealerships did that, at least not without doing it for a price. I'm skeptical of paying for extended warranties, companies have a lot of legal loopholes to classify work as not eligible so its taking a lot of risk IMO. And if they 'include it' at price, then I'd be skeptical they jack the price up when you are at the negotiation table.

The gentleman that sold me my Spark seemed nice, but he kept whining that the Spark was a 'starter car' and they need to make money and wouldn't go as low as I'd like. Considering I've had probably 10 cars I've owned over the years it is hardly a starter car for me, so I just laughed. But since I got a .49% interest rate I decided arguing another $500 off wasn't worth it and went with it.

Car salesmen know how to keep their numbers up, I doubt it was free. LOL

Edited by sparkto