2016 Spark - excessive oil consumption

Just had my first oil change at 5,000 miles. Engine oil life indicator showed 25% oil life remaining but I am old-school...and did not want it to go to 6K or 7K miles before the oil change.

Anyway, when the technician checked the oil level before draining it, it was down more than a half quart (.6 to .7 QT)

I checked the car a few days after I bought it and it read "full" so I know it wasn't low to begin with. 

Everything I've read says this is not normal. I've read a lot about first generation 1.2L Sparks with excessive oil consumption issues...but the 2016 Spark was a brand new "clean sheet" 1.4L engine (LV7). 

I'm feeling really nervous about this. I am going to go one more oil change and monitor this closely. If it is down another half quart I am going to take it to the dealer. 

Does anyone know about any TSB's regarding excessive oil consumption on second generation Sparks?

Thanks,

Tom

Spark_Oil.jpg

Only oil consumption issues I knew with the 1.2  engine were caused by a defective PCV which was recalled . I haven’t had any modern engine including my Spark  use oil between changes though your  1/2 quart in 5000 miles will fall under normal consumption by Chevy . If you complain to them they may run an oil consumption test and of course check for any TSBs . 

I appreciate the reply sparkfanatic. 

It's worrisome because I have never had a new car consume this much oil so early on. 

I am very respectful of your advice...but the research I did says that a new vehicle should not consume this much oil. Certain BMW, Audi, and Subaru models were the absolute worst...consuming up to a full quart every 600 - 700 miles...but of the top 30 oil consumers, the first gen Spark was #30 on the list. (probably because of the PCV issue you mention).

Research further indicates that manufacturers will state that oil consumption is "normal" when it is actually not. Subaru for instance claims that burning a full quart every 1000 - 1200 miles is "acceptable". That sounds fundamentally ludicrous to me and the article agrees. 

I've looked at multiple sources to get my head around the issue...but the best article was from Consumer Reports. I know they get slammed by people for a variety of reasons but I think this article is a particularly good piece of reporting.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm

On its face, adding a half quart between changes is not really an issue. The underlying reason of *why* is what bothers me. How will this affect the engine long term? Is it a piston ring issue? Will oil collect where it shouldn't and cause damage to the engine? What is causing the problem and what are the long term effects on the engine? Those are the big questions for me.

I tend to keep cars until they fall apart (250K - 300K miles) so I am looking at this as a long term issue. 

BTW - I absolutely LOVE the car. It's a street legal go-kart. 

Edited by tburick

I agree it shouldn’t be using any oil and it would bother me also . Your next oil change will be more telling , I wouldn’t rule out s leak either even if see no oil on the ground . I would register your concern so it’s noted that there’s a problem and you have it on paper and can always escalate things above the dealer level . 

• 8 months later...

I know I should have posted this follow up earlier...but I prematurely hit the panic button w the oil consumption. Yes, the oil was low at the very first oil change...but it has not used a drop since. I am on my third oil change and no additional consumption and no further issue. 

I am extremely relieved. I absolutely LOVE this car. At 13,000 miles it's been faultless.