Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KenL

Headlight mod idea

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I thought of a headlights mod idea, and wanted to ask you folks, if anyone tried doing something like that on your Sparks.

I like the way headlights background color matches the exterior color. So I thought of uninstalling my headlights and painting the inner part into blue. I wanted to do the same blue color my Spark is.

The main question I wanted to ask - is that legal? I know that redand blue lights are not allowed to use, yet that's not blue lighting, right?

Also, won't it peel off because of temperature?

I've already found instructions on how to take headlight assemblies off and how to take each of them apart...

Thanks,

Ken

spam link...

Okay, let me explain what I am saying without the link then, if you are so suspisious to the site that doesn't even sell anything after all...

Here are the pic of what I like and what I want to do, with the arrows drawn in paint.

And the questions I've got are above... hope someone will help here

111.JPG

1236.JPG

It is not illegal to paint the headlight housing. It is illegal to have blue/red strobes.

Take headlight out, bake in the oven, split housing from lens without burning yourself, clean, prep, paint, re-assemble headlight.

I read somewhere that the 12-15 spark headlights were impossible to split, I don't know about the 16 and newer. 

Edited by Mr.tozzi
KenL likes this

Oh thanks, man. I have also called my local dealer, and they say that really one cannot split this light.

I will talk to my local body shop that does car mods, we'll see what they say.

I haven't tried splitting my spark's headlights open yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  The only thing to be careful of is when you're baking, not to have them sit in there too long where it burns the headlight lens.  As for painting, if you're just going to paint the black parts of the headlight, then that should be fine. Just don't paint the reflector part of the headlight that way the light has something to bounce off of and light up the road.

7 hours ago, b00duh said:

I haven't tried splitting my spark's headlights open yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  The only thing to be careful of is when you're baking, not to have them sit in there too long where it burns the headlight lens.  As for painting, if you're just going to paint the black parts of the headlight, then that should be fine. Just don't paint the reflector part of the headlight that way the light has something to bounce off of and light up the road.

I haven't tried either, but I've been quite tempted to try, Just cant find enough time to go pull a spare set.I really want to retrofit a projector in it. 

With the size of these headlights, a retrofit would be awesome to do.  I think it would give my spark a much more aggressive front end look.  My '92 miata looks much more aggressive with it's happy face than my spark.  Lol.