KenL

Headlight mod idea

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I thought of a headlights mod idea, and wanted to ask you folks, if anyone tried doing something like that on your Sparks.

I like the way headlights background color matches the exterior color. So I thought of uninstalling my headlights and painting the inner part into blue. I wanted to do the same blue color my Spark is.

The main question I wanted to ask - is that legal? I know that redand blue lights are not allowed to use, yet that's not blue lighting, right?

Also, won't it peel off because of temperature?

I've already found instructions on how to take headlight assemblies off and how to take each of them apart...

Thanks,

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spam link...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, let me explain what I am saying without the link then, if you are so suspisious to the site that doesn't even sell anything after all...

Here are the pic of what I like and what I want to do, with the arrows drawn in paint.

And the questions I've got are above... hope someone will help here

 

111.JPG

1236.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not illegal to paint the headlight housing. It is illegal to have blue/red strobes.

Take headlight out, bake in the oven, split housing from lens without burning yourself, clean, prep, paint, re-assemble headlight.

I read somewhere that the 12-15 spark headlights were impossible to split, I don't know about the 16 and newer. 

 

Edited by Mr.tozzi
KenL likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh thanks, man. I have also called my local dealer, and they say that really one cannot split this light.

I will talk to my local body shop that does car mods, we'll see what they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried splitting my spark's headlights open yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  The only thing to be careful of is when you're baking, not to have them sit in there too long where it burns the headlight lens.  As for painting, if you're just going to paint the black parts of the headlight, then that should be fine. Just don't paint the reflector part of the headlight that way the light has something to bounce off of and light up the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, b00duh said:

I haven't tried splitting my spark's headlights open yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.  The only thing to be careful of is when you're baking, not to have them sit in there too long where it burns the headlight lens.  As for painting, if you're just going to paint the black parts of the headlight, then that should be fine. Just don't paint the reflector part of the headlight that way the light has something to bounce off of and light up the road.

I haven't tried either, but I've been quite tempted to try, Just cant find enough time to go pull a spare set.I really want to retrofit a projector in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the size of these headlights, a retrofit would be awesome to do.  I think it would give my spark a much more aggressive front end look.  My '92 miata looks much more aggressive with it's happy face than my spark.  Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is 2010 with big headlights. I too had some thought about fixing DRL and bi-focal halogen projectors in headlights and painting remaining in body color but immediately dropped it after thinking thay I am not going to get good sealant and other things in my city and getting online cost huge shipping.

I am reaching to end of my fog projectors installation, will share the pics soon.

One thing I missed is adding DRL on fog lamp cover, the way I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to disable DRL's during daylight hours. 

Don't think GM allows it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby, any specific reason you want to disable. I thought these are mandatory in US, just like in India these are mandated last year.

Though I really don't think its required for my car as the Big eyes ( headlights) and so much chrome is there on front that someone can easily discover it coming.:gold_star:

 

Best solution could be disconnect them from connector, if its easily accessible.

I can suggest this much since we don't have DRL in the last version here and GM shut the shop so we won't get new 2016 onward model here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During daylight hours, DRL is just unnecessary drag on battery & alternator & life of headlamp bulb life.

bhaisaab I have been driving in USA for 57 years without a single accident. the gov't should not play role of my mother haha. Anyway the head lights come on automatically each time car is started, and I can manually turn them off, which I do. But there seems to be no option to have the lights not come on automatically. 

ChevyBeat likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

bhaisaab I have been driving in USA for 57 years without a single accident. the gov't should not play role of my mother haha.

@Bobby, I am just a kid :baby:for you. I am 34 only.

 

Running the headlights for DRL is certainly funny. I have seen many bike headlights on in full sunny day, after Indian govt made DRL compulsory.

 

For me, DRL (LED type less watts) is for just showoff thing to make my vehicle little different from stock.

There were only couple of of cases when some biker came on wrong direction on highway (small patch, under construction for years, so just gravel road with lots of dust) and from distance that was not clear if they are going or coming towards me.

 

Edited by ChevyBeat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

During daylight hours, DRL is just unnecessary drag on battery & alternator & life of headlamp bulb life.

bhaisaab I have been driving in USA for 57 years without a single accident. the gov't should not play role of my mother haha. Anyway the head lights come on automatically each time car is started, and I can manually turn them off, which I do. But there seems to be no option to have the lights not come on automatically. 

Bobby, The drag on the electrical is very low and with the Spark being small..you want to be seen. Most people, when deciding to pass on a single lane highway look for lights coming at them as all cars have them and you could easily be missed in the quick scan of approaching cars and if the resulting accident ever comes to court...well you get my drift...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R.O.G

12 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Bobby, The drag on the electrical is very low and with the Spark being small..you want to be seen. Most people, when deciding to pass on a single lane highway look for lights coming at them as all cars have them and you could easily be missed in the quick scan of approaching cars and if the resulting accident ever comes to court...well you get my drift...

You are 100% right when driving on 2 lane highways, which were plentiful before building the interstate highway system. I done my share of hair raising passes on Iowa highways in the 1960's. But now my driving is mostly on 4 lane roads, and you will usually find me driving under speed limit in the slow right lane. But most drivers are not as passive & careful & good as me (haha), so I can understand why DRL's became standard. Also, I longer enjoy changing head lamps when they burn out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am surprised as Chevy US is using headlights for DRL. Small or more but yes, its a load on battery, alternator besides this isn't function of headlights. Any jerk to a bulb in ON is more prone than in OFF so if a bulb is gone in day can make night troublesome.

 

Today is era of LED, they give more light and dazzle which is required for DRL in much lesser power consumption. I have seen some good retrofit solution, where a dual LED system is used in Front indicator place, with white light for DRL and when turn signal is given its become yellow. It's hardly 15-17$ on AliExpress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now