After 600mi change the oil to synthetic. This gets rid of factory & break-in crap in the oil. That's a really good 'mod' for the long term of your engine and gas mileage. Keep tires at 37psi for good handling and gas mileage. Go to walmart and buy the cheap green tire shine spray and after doing the tires spray and wipe down the engine when cool..keeps it a shiny silver color..try to avoid hoses so they don't collect dust.

On my 4 cyl engines . If I do want a louder sound but dont want to spend alot of money . I will have the shop put on a cherrybomb /glasspack  and try it . They are

actually very mellow and nice sounding with minimal drone in a small 4 cyl. I havent changed anything on the spark yet . I do want dual center exhaust tip. Im just waiting on the new to wear off .

Edited by tfraser3
add a word
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 4:41 PM, Retired old Gearhead said:

After 600mi change the oil to synthetic. This gets rid of factory & break-in crap in the oil. That's a really good 'mod' for the long term of your engine and gas mileage. Keep tires at 37psi for good handling and gas mileage. Go to walmart and buy the cheap green tire shine spray and after doing the tires spray and wipe down the engine when cool..keeps it a shiny silver color..try to avoid hoses so they don't collect dust.

37psi:kookie:. Is it recommended by Chevy? In India its 32psi that too have mentioned as higher compared to other cars by enthusiasts, for better mileage.

Mods which I like to do are,majorly on lighting end, fog lamps if you're not having. Rear bench reading lamp, boot/trunk light, door puddle lamp with red small light for rear traffic, good DRL (continuous type instead of pearl one).

Ofcourse music experience too, but since I didn't drive much, its 2nd priority.

Upsize tyre, blackening some part like B&C pillar.

I am not good on mechanical.

P.S. assuming US spark too have common door azar indication, if you want to control individual door puddle lamp, I worked out a simple solution.

• 2 months later...

Half shaft your throttle body. I run my 2014 1.2 on E30 and I saw great mpg increase. It also seems to have made it zippier all around. I have donet this and the resonator mod so far. 

To clarify, the mods are responsible for the benefits. I run E30 because it's American made fuel. Also, I'm getting great mileage after these mods and paying way less at the pump

The picture is of my variation of half shafting the throttle body. I removed the TB, shaved the excess bolts off, and cut the middle of the braces on both sides out. Make sure you have a good connection when reconnecting the TB. I broke the red clip and had a bad connection, it triggered my reduced power, limp home mode. Fixed the connection and it runs great.

20180224_151702.jpg

Edited by LittleBlue!
Clarification/picture
On 2/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, LittleBlue! said:

Half shaft your throttle body. I run my 2014 1.2 on E30 and I saw great mpg increase. It also seems to have made it zippier all around. I have donet this and the resonator mod so far. 

To clarify, the mods are responsible for the benefits. I run E30 because it's American made fuel. Also, I'm getting great mileage after these mods and paying way less at the pump

The picture is of my variation of half shafting the throttle body. I removed the TB, shaved the excess bolts off, and cut the middle of the braces on both sides out. Make sure you have a good connection when reconnecting the TB. I broke the red clip and had a bad connection, it triggered my reduced power, limp home mode. Fixed the connection and it runs great.

20180224_151702.jpg

Can you explain how it is possible to get better MPG's with Fuel that has less BTU's per gallon then regular gasoline?

I'm learning as I go but if you increase compression you can benefit from the octane in the ethanol. I'm going to try and add a turbo from a sonic to increase the compression.  There is an interesting test with a Cadillac and Ford fiesta. They tinkered with turbos and saw great results with mid level blends. I'll post the link here.  

2018-03-03 02.06.56.png

Edited by LittleBlue!
It is a free pdf search high octane ethanol blend effects on four legacy. Oakridge National Laboratory

Remove the resonator. It is below the air filter. I acessed mine through the driver side wheel well. From what I understand it increases airflow; It seems to be good for performance. It's free and reversible.  Better instructions on this site. I am happy with the results.  

2018-03-03 01.39.50.jpg

6 hours ago, LittleBlue! said:

I'm learning as I go but if you increase compression you can benefit from the octane in the ethanol. I'm going to try and add a turbo from a sonic to increase the compression.  There is an interesting test with a Cadillac and Ford fiesta. They tinkered with turbos and saw great results with mid level blends. I'll post the link here. 

Compression on the Spark 1.2/1.4 is too high for a turbo and this car is not designed to accept a turbo.

This page should be renamed "Crazy mods that don't work"..I particularly like the tin-foil mod...Really??

1 hour ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Compression on the Spark 1.2/1.4 is too high for a turbo and this car is not designed to accept a turbo.

This page should be renamed "Crazy mods that don't work"..I particularly like the tin-foil mod...Really??

Ok, from what Ive read I can add small boost and the compression can still be increased. I've also seen quite a few people insulating intakes but I'm the type of guy who isn't scared to try these things and report my findings. Call me crazy. Have you tested these things or do you just know it doesnt work because, well, that's crazy? I'll let you know how the turbo goes.

Edited by LittleBlue!