Need head bolt torque and valve clearances

Hi All,

I am a new member and extremely grateful to have found this awesome Spark forum!

My daughter in the Philippines has a 2012 Spark LS with a  Daewoo 1.0 Liter DOHC engine, and Automatic Transmission with approximately 17,500 km (10874 miles) on it.  The car has been losing coolant and overheating for the past 18 months, and finally died (could not be started).  The nearest Chevrolet dealer is a 5 hour drive away, so a mechanic and I pulled it to his shop.  When he removed some of the spark plugs, he got sprayed with coolant.  The mechanic removed the head and had a machine shop check it out.  The mechanic tried to get a head gasket, valve stem seals, a thermostat, a waterpump housing (corroded), and a metal pipe (corroded) and a rubber hose that connects to the pipe.  None of the local parts stores have Chevrolet or Daewoo parts for a Spark, so I went to the dealer 5 hours away, and ordered the parts and had to pay $460 for them up front.  After nearly 4 weeks from when they were ordered, I finally got the parts.

Now, the mechanic wants to know the HEAD BOLT TORQUE/TENSION, and also the INTAKE AND EXHAUST VALVE CLEARANCES.  I tried to get the information from the Chevrolet dealer, but I'm told they are not allowed to give it to me because I did not bring the car to them.

I cannot find a Spark Factory Service Manual other than a paper copy from Helm at a cost of $200.  I purchased a year of access to a Chilton 2013 Spark Manual for ~$30.  It has torque specs on some items, but no head bolt torque or valve clearances.  The ENGINE section is sorely lacking, and only has Exhaust System torque.

Does anyone have a Factory Service Manual they could look in and provide the info?  I realize that in the USA, the Spark is a 2013 with a 1.2L Daewoo engine, but those specs should be similar, and would be better than nothing.  If anyone knows of a safe site to purchase a Factory Service Manual for download, please let me know.

I sent an email to the dealership I Cebu (where I bought the parts) asking for the specs and a chance to discuss if future customers would be more impressed by a Chevrolet that runs, rather than one that is broke down.  My next step will be to contact the local Chevrolet salesman to ask him the same questions.

Thank you all and keep up the great work!

Mark

I answered my own question.  I paid $10 for 24 hours of access to an online 2012 Chevrolet Spark Factory Service Manual at repairprocedures.com

Procedures Valve clearance adjustment (Intake: 0.075 - 0.125mm / Exhaust: 0.245 - 0.295mm) and cylinder head installation and head bolt torque [22 N-m + 82 degrees (16 lb ft + 82 degrees)] were clearly stated.

• 5 years later...
On 6/26/2017 at 7:02 AM, msls6 said:

I answered my own question.  I paid $10 for 24 hours of access to an online 2012 Chevrolet Spark Factory Service Manual at repairprocedures.com

Procedures Valve clearance adjustment (Intake: 0.075 - 0.125mm / Exhaust: 0.245 - 0.295mm) and cylinder head installation and head bolt torque [22 N-m + 82 degrees (16 lb ft + 82 degrees)] were clearly stated.

Absolute legend, thank you for this