Coolant Tank Part # Issue!

Hello!!! My 2014 Chevy Spark had coolant tank 95352005. I ordered a replacement one on eBay which had positive reviews, likely from some of you folks.

When the tank arrived it looked the same as what I had. I quickly removed my old tank which basically the hose connections crumbled on it as I removed it.

When I went to install the new tank the hose on the bottom of the tank wouldn't fit... The old tanks hose was too large in diameter! I thought I was crazy and compared the two tanks together and sure enough there was a visible size difference.

I looked on the bottom to find the new tank was part number 95352004. I went on eBay to complain to the seller and noticed in the item details that 95352004 and a few other ones were listed as superceded numbers. 

I couldn't find a single thing online about what to do in this situation so I'm hoping someone here has some advice. I can't go anywhere until I have a new tank since the spark is my only car and I can't even put back the old one since so much of the plastic deteriorated when removed.

I considered walking to the auto parts store and buying a series of hoses and adapters to step down but that seems counter productive plus I am worried about using a lower diameter hose than was originally used could cause an issue down the road.

20170618_103837.jpg

My understanding is a replacement coolant overflow tank can be purchased for $40 on line from a Chevy dealer, based on posts on this forum. That is the route I would go instead of buying it on eBay from a non-Chevy seller. There is a better chance of getting the right part that way, instead of messing with adapters.

What Bobby said is right . You really need to buy using your VIN number as there may have been running changes during a model year . If you buy from Ebay there's no guarantee it's the correct part or where it's from . You may get the  old original failure prone  part instead of a revised one . I Would go to  GM parts online and get another tank .

This is the one I ordered. Had lots of happy reviews. Not really sure what happened... Seller did not message me today and my local dealer never called me back. Ugh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122538955889

Oh! I see now that the reviews are different seller's! Man, that's not cool for eBay to put other seller's items reviews in with another seller. I'm going to request a refund and order the part from elsewhere. Hopefully I will get the correct one soon so I can get back on the road.

Edited by Dill

Thanks for all the help! Went to a local dealer today and got the right part. For any future folks who stumble on this thread please note that the part number ending in 2004 looks exactly like the correct part, all the hoses will fit except for the bottom hose. Make sure if you order you are getting the right part. Best to remove the old one first to verify. The part number was stamped into the bottom of the tank. Also! The dealers have varying prices. They tried to sell me the tank only for $60. I brought up another dealer who had told me earlier they had it and would sell it for $45. This dealer then lowered the price to $40. Your dealer absolutely has the ability to adjust the pricing on items.

20 hours ago, Dill said:

Thanks for all the help! Went to a local dealer today and got the right part. For any future folks who stumble on this thread please note that the part number ending in 2004 looks exactly like the correct part, all the hoses will fit except for the bottom hose. Make sure if you order you are getting the right part. Best to remove the old one first to verify. The part number was stamped into the bottom of the tank. Also! The dealers have varying prices. They tried to sell me the tank only for $60. I brought up another dealer who had told me earlier they had it and would sell it for $45. This dealer then lowered the price to $40. Your dealer absolutely has the ability to adjust the pricing on items.

Ha ha..Ya..Nice work on the price haggle Dill!...If they can do car pricing deals they can do it for parts as well..next time you are at a jewelry or other store or chain try the same method and suddenly an $800 item like a watch becomes $550...damaged/dented can of soup suddenly is half price, scratched wrench/battery etc at Walmart same thing. Good luck with the tank install..if you have some silicone grease you can apply that to the tank hose connectors for an easier, better fit and longer lasting seal and connection leak resistant.

Also..Bobby..your welcome and I find that site a big help and accurate source for tech and parts for the Spark.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
16 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

Old gearhead, I wish you ran a car repair shop in my town! 

You have heckuva good knowledge of car repair issues. I am certain

posters and lurkers on this forum appreciate your input.

Ha..Thanx for the nice words, but I am basically a retired pilot with a background (way back) in aviation mechanics and the car stuff is not much different from the old 'piston poppers' I used to work on before I got my wings. Cars and mechanics have always just been something I was interested in since childhood when my dad bought a used '54 Buick 350 Rocket and we worked on it together. Never worked as a car mechanic but I have restored some older cars and then sold them at a loss..latest and very last was a 69 Roadrunner 426hemi, but basically doing that as a hobby was almost as big a money pit as my boat that I work on as well...OK...'Nuff said on that..but thanx for the comp.