have a 2016 spark lt with cvt,,does not have temp gauge , am looking at getting a scangauge2 to hook to the obd2 port

question i have is does anyone know if the spark have a cvt transmission temp sensor, i would like to see the coolant temp and the tranny temp

asked the dealer and got a "whats a tranny" type look from them , you would think a trained mech would know something like this ,or at least where to look it up

thanks for any info in advanced

Be sure to check coolant level in overflow tank. If the coolant has no discoloration and if there is sufficient quantity of coolant present, it is unlikely for engine to overheat. For some reason (such as pump failure) the engine does overheat, the "idiot light" or in this case a message should appear. But it would still be nice to have a temp gauge just for peace of mind. 

When my 36 month warranty expires, I intend to leave the OBDII gadget in the socket all the time and use the Torque (Lite) app on my phone to monitor temp. Until then, I will let the bumper to bumper warranty worry about overheating issues.

Edited by Bobby MSME
phone
5 hours ago, fireeater said:

have a 2016 spark lt with cvt,,does not have temp gauge , am looking at getting a scangauge2 to hook to the obd2 port

question i have is does anyone know if the spark have a cvt transmission temp sensor, i would like to see the coolant temp and the tranny temp

asked the dealer and got a "whats a tranny" type look from them , you would think a trained mech would know something like this ,or at least where to look it up

thanks for any info in advanced

I hooked my obd2 with the torque app and it doesnt give me transmission temp nor engine oil temp.

4 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

Be sure to check coolant level in overflow tank. If the coolant has no discoloration and if there is sufficient quantity of coolant present, it is unlikely for engine to overheat. For some reason (such as pump failure) the engine does overheat, the "idiot light" or in this case a message should appear. But it would still be nice to have a temp gauge just for peace of mind. 

When my 36 month warranty expires, I intend to leave the OBDII gadget in the socket all the time and use the Torque (Lite) app on my phone to monitor temp. Until then, I will let the bumper to bumper warranty worry about overheating issues.

yup i hear ya but if i can see the problem before it happens  lol

2 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

I hooked my obd2 with the torque app and it doesnt give me transmission temp nor engine oil temp.

if i'm not mistaken the torque app only gives tranny temp and oil temp on some cars and pro version i am willing to spend the $200 on scangauge2 if i knew the sensors were there on the 2016

3 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

I was able to get "engine" temp when I used the Torque App. It is probably coolant temp, and not oil temp. However, in a normal operating car, those 2 temps would be closely related. 

Tranny temp is another matter. Tranny could get hotter than coolant temp if it is malfunctioning. My thinking is if the car is responsive to speed changes, the CVT is functioning normally. A malfunctioning tranny will feel sluggish and may be noisy.

Right now my Spark is only 4 months old with 32 months warranty remaining, so I am ignoring any possible issues with the car. Let GM worry about it during full warranty period.

In the meanwhile, my 2017 Spark LS is running like a well oiled clock. The CVT is very responsive at all speeds over 5 mph. Even from 60 mph, the car will accelerate quickly to 75 mph. When slowing down under 5 mph but not coming to a complete stop, if I suddenly press the accelerator pedal, the CVT seems to get confused. I have learned to accelerate slowly in those situations. The steering is very tight, with no backlash. The ride quality is similar to bigger cars because there is no overhang behind the rear wheel axle. In other words they have stretched  the wheelbase as long as possible.

8 hours ago, fireeater said:

if i'm not mistaken the torque app only gives tranny temp and oil temp on some cars and pro version i am willing to spend the $200 on scangauge2 if i knew the sensors were there on the 2016

I was able to get the transmission fluid temp and the engine oil temp after playing around with the torque app. It needs gm pids to get the sensor readings. Settings/manage extrap pids/sensors from the menu on the top right pick add pre defined set. After that it will show on the list to add the displays.

3 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

I was able to get the transmission fluid temp and the engine oil temp after playing around with the torque app. It needs gm pids to get the sensor readings. Settings/manage extrap pids/sensors from the menu on the top right pick add pre defined set. After that it will show on the list to add the displays.

Very useful information for those who wish to monitor those temps.  

On 6/17/2017 at 6:36 AM, Mr.tozzi said:

thanks ,so the 2013 spark has the sensor , now hope they didnt change for the 2016

thanks again

I have the torque app installed on my old phone, and adding the extra gm specific pids in the app's settings gives me a whole slew of extra sensors, like transmission output shaft speed, A/C high side pressure, and transmission temperature. 

One thing I've noticied with the Obd2 adapters in my case. My 2016 spark uses ISO 15765-4 11bit/500kbps communication settings, but after the car is shut off, torque will automatically cycle through all available communications protocols, and falsely "lock-on" to the wrong protocol. I've had simple problems like a tachometer spazzing from 4k rpm to 0 rpm really quickly, to a complete loss of power for roughly 10 seconds and 3 loud metallic bangs come from the transmission when pulling away from a stop with the wrong communications protocol selected. In both cases, I got code U0073 and I got code P0700 when the transmission started banging. I'm no expert, but I think the adapter started spewing garbage data into the car's canbus network, which caused the codes and erratic behavior, and the problems went away after unplugging the adapter.. In both cases the codes cleared themselves, but I'd leave the adapter unplugged when not in use, and make sure the right protocol is in use before shifting into gear. I used both a cheap obd2 adapter from amazon and a OBDlink MX. Just my 2 cents

11 hours ago, Mitchell McBeath said:

I have the torque app installed on my old phone, and adding the extra gm specific pids in the app's settings gives me a whole slew of extra sensors, like transmission output shaft speed, A/C high side pressure, and transmission temperature. 

One thing I've noticied with the Obd2 adapters in my case. My 2016 spark uses ISO 15765-4 11bit/500kbps communication settings, but after the car is shut off, torque will automatically cycle through all available communications protocols, and falsely "lock-on" to the wrong protocol. I've had simple problems like a tachometer spazzing from 4k rpm to 0 rpm really quickly, to a complete loss of power for roughly 10 seconds and 3 loud metallic bangs come from the transmission when pulling away from a stop with the wrong communications protocol selected. In both cases, I got code U0073 and I got code P0700 when the transmission started banging. I'm no expert, but I think the adapter started spewing garbage data into the car's canbus network, which caused the codes and erratic behavior, and the problems went away after unplugging the adapter.. In both cases the codes cleared themselves, but I'd leave the adapter unplugged when not in use, and make sure the right protocol is in use before shifting into gear. I used both a cheap obd2 adapter from amazon and a OBDlink MX. Just my 2 cents

Mine never gave me an issue, I don't mess with the com protocol in settings, I just leave it alone.