Christi

Brakes making a knocking sound

6 posts in this topic

Hello :noobie:. I bought a used 2015 Spark a couple weeks ago with 22,800 miles on it.  Today I noticed a knocking sound ..sometimes.. after I hit the brake pedal and before it stops, like when slowing down.  No squealing or anything, just a few knocks and that's it.  It doesn't do it every time I hit the brakes. Any idea what it might be?  I'm calling the dealership on Monday, praying it's covered under warranty!!

It is just a sound or do you also feel anything on the pedal? Did you take to the dealership? If so, what did they tell you?

Would love to hear an answer about this issue of knocking brakes.  I am having the same problem with my 2016 Spark.  Of course when I take the car to the dealer, it doesn't make the sound.

Posted (edited)

Are you certain the knocking sound is from brakes and not the engine compartment or body suspension? If it is, it could be a warped or defective disks or malfunction in the drum brakes, or defective brake pads which have flaked off. 

If car is under bumper to bumper warranty, any brake malfunction should be covered by the warranty. Beyond 36k miles and 36 months, probably not covered.

Edited by Bobby MSME

I am having the same problem with my 2017 Spark (only 8,000 miles on it).  Same knocking sound as described above.  

3 hours ago, Tina said:

I am having the same problem with my 2017 Spark (only 8,000 miles on it).  Same knocking sound as described above.  

Schedule a visit to the dealer. Your car should be covered by bumper to bumper warranty. Hopefully you can re-create the problem at the dealership.