Should I be concerned if I have a thick, black film caking up on some spots under my hood? Mainly on my air intake, just after the mass airflow sensor. It's looks like a dry oil-like dust that has built up. I'm at work but will see if I can snap a pic of it on my break. Thanks for any input.

• 1 month later...

It may be just an oil spill from an oil change that is gathering dust. Undo the clamp remove and wash the hose off, let it dry and check for cracks.

I got the same buildup on mine. Does not concern me, my oil level is good, the engine is running fine and i have no dirt past the filter.

When did you last change that filter? Get a new filter and dont get k&n judging by all the dust under the hood a k&n filter would just get dirty and get your engine full of dirt. 

Edited by Mr.tozzi

I replaced the K&N filter with a basic STP filter when I posted the pictures Saturday (5/27). My suspect was the PCV, due to recalls for other Sparks. I'm going to bring my concern up to the service department when I go in for my next oil change.

Edited by robstacles
1 hour ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

I know what is causing this on the filter but it's not the PCV as that issue takes place far back from the filter area..it's a long story but not a concern as long as you stay away from K&N coated filters that capture all the soot from diesel trucks etc. Check the new filter after a few weeks.

I'm actually curious of what is causing it. I have the build up on my intake hose also, it does not concern me as the car works fine, but it bothers me as it is a pain to clean up, I like to keep my engine bay clean.

Well Tozzi, I'm not able to pinpoint the issue with the intake hose..probably just grime from occasionally being in heavy traffic, but I can see by the pix of the air filter that the grime is exactly on the area coated on the K&N type filter, even on the slight over-spray on the plastic holder which also became sticky to whatever was coming into the intake..seems like a long drive behind perhaps a dirty diesel or environmental soot in the air as in heavy traffic. I had exactly the same issue with a K&N coated filter on the Spark back in 2014 after alot of driving behind trucks and into construction areas...That is my best guess as the air that enters the filter only comes from the intake point if all other connections before the filter are intact. Nothing to do with the old PCV malfunction as that was only an issue on the 2013 and that issue takes place far after the air has passed the filter and the MAS.