Tinted all 4 Spark's windows myself for $26.97 !!

Parking in the Florida sun, car interior gets hot. Bought window tinting film 

panels from this source on eBay...for $26.97 delivered free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131568095657?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All panel are precut to fit your Spark  windows exactly. If you order, be sure to specify your exact model and year. The material was good quality. The trick is to prepare your own solution correctly. Too little shampoo, and the panels are hard to slide around in exact position. Too much shampoo in the mix will make a weaker bond and too many visible bubbles to remove. The panels are cut to fit entire glass in the window. And lot of that glass is inside the rubber molding and does not need to be tinted. I found the job was easier by trimming 1/4" across the bottom of each panel. That way there is less to shove inside the rubber molding. The vendor has various shades of tint you can specify. I ordered a bit darker for the 2 rear windows. You will need help of another person initially to hold the panel up while spraying lubricating liquid which is 3% shampoo & 97% clean water. The panels are easy to slide around on the glass when wet. After that only thing to do is remove all excess water &  bubbles between glass & film panel. I used a small plastic flat squeegee with about 2.5" flat business end. That does require patience. I spent about 30 minutes on each window removing bubbles. While I was doing the job in our gated community parking lot, many passerby neighbors admired how good the tinting looked. 

I've been wanting to tint my windows for a while now. I'd probably go through the hassle to remove the door panels to do it, but I'd still be afraid of screwing up. It's probably just like putting on a screen protector on a phone without getting bubbles or dust under it, but a little easier since it's a wet application.

EDIT: What shade percentage did you go with on the tint?

Edited by robstacles
4 hours ago, robstacles said:

I've been wanting to tint my windows for a while now. I'd probably go through the hassle to remove the door panels to do it, but I'd still be afraid of screwing up. It's probably just like putting on a screen protector on a phone without getting bubbles or dust under it, but a little easier since it's a wet application.

EDIT: What shade percentage did you go with on the tint?

With this product, you do NOT need to remove the door panels.

The precut panels will fit the window glass as is. 

The panels are slightly bigger than the exposed glass surface.

The excess has to be tucked inside the rubber moldings.

So you will need a flat plastic T-shaped squeegee which is fairly thin.,

to tuck the 1/2" extra material inside the window rubber molding.

Plastic does not tear up the panel, like a metal would.

I picked tint shade in the middle of the range the vendor offers.

It is not too dark or too light. The tint project was not difficult.

Be sure to tell the vendor the exact tint number while ordering.

On eBay, I just sent him a eBay  message. It was follwed exactly.

After 1 month of parking in Florida sun, the self stick panels I used for tinting windows are performing flawlessly. Besides cutting down glare from outside,  it seems the car interior is cooler than before. Now I am looking to tint top part of windshield. About a 6" wide strip which should be fairly dark shade. 

16 minutes ago, Bobby MSME said:

After 1 month of parking in Florida sun, the self stick panels I used for tinting windows are performing flawlessly. Besides cutting down glare from outside,  it seems the car interior is cooler than before. Now I am looking to tint top part of windshield. About a 6" wide strip which should be fairly dark shade. 

I would recommend biting the bullet and paying a shop to install a clear film on the windshield, I had a shop install lumar air80 on mine after I purchased it and it was the best $90 I have ever spent on tint. It does not interfere with driving in any condition, and it kills the heat very well, it does not even look like you have film on the windshield at all unless you know what you are looking for. I also got 3m fx premium 15 all around. Car is cool as a cucumber when it is cooking outside.

I'm actuall taking my other car as soon as I have a few bucks to spend on it. I prefer to have a shop install as I like the warranty and not doing that work myself.

In the past when I was much younger, I have done brake jobs, changing fuel & water pumps, changing V-Belts, fuel filters, coolant drain and refill, improving front wheel alignment, tune-ups on many cars, and countless oil changes. Now I am on Medicare, and refuse to work under the hood. I can now afford to pay for the work. Applying tint film on the windows is easy. Does not require even a screw driver. All it requires is patience to remove those tiny soap and water bubbles. Hands do not get dirty, actually hands get cleaner from handling the weak shampoo water haha.  

Edited by Bobby MSME
!
  • 2 months later...

New York State as of January 2017 has made all state inspection stations mandatory to make sure that tint is no darker than 30% or it will not pass. Other states are joining this as Police Officers can not see inside safely, the best deal is a product called lumar air80 that Mr.Tozzi mentioned, which I am going to put on my Spark, I am glad also I got the car in Silver to keep some of the heat off it too.  

22 hours ago, Unbeatable2U said:

New York State as of January 2017 has made all state inspection stations mandatory to make sure that tint is no darker than 30% or it will not pass. Other states are joining this as Police Officers can not see inside safely, the best deal is a product called lumar air80 that Mr.Tozzi mentioned, which I am going to put on my Spark, I am glad also I got the car in Silver to keep some of the heat off it too.  

I ordered a lighter shade for the front 2 windows, and a slightly darker shade for the rear 2 windows. IThe Hatch window in rear of car I left alone because it is almost vertical and seems to have a light tint from factory. Here in Florida where I live, there are no emission inspections! 

For the windshield, I bought a tint strip from Walmart and it almost makes the sun-visors unnecessary. Besides, the factory sun-visors are so puny and small.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/14/2017 at 2:59 AM, Unbeatable2U said:

Similar thing I had in mind, as in India same law is there, the windows must must have 70% transparency. When I bought my Beat, 1st thing I did get the film removed, which previous owner have applied. Idea, just to avoid cop's unusual interference, as I no one can show them what % it is. I am currently having magnetic screen. Similar to this on eBay http://www.ebay.in/itm/152603023323.  except now these comes with a zip so you nees not to open door to pay toll. Actually I am not using on driver side. But found these are not sufficient to control heat. I am living in area where 45°c is peak in summer.

5 hours ago, ChevyBeat said:

Similar thing I had in mind, as in India same law is there, the windows must must have 70% transparency. When I bought my Beat, 1st thing I did get the film removed, which previous owner have applied. Idea, just to avoid cop's unusual interference, as I no one can show them what % it is. I am currently having magnetic screen. Similar to this on eBay http://www.ebay.in/itm/152603023323.  except now these comes with a zip so you nees not to open door to pay toll. Actually I am not using on driver side. But found these are not sufficient to control heat. I am living in area where 45°c is peak in summer.

After 5 months of driving the Spark with tinted windows, never been stopped by a cop. As I explained in a previous post, I used darker tint for 2 rear windows and a lighter tint for front 2 windows. The tint film has not come lose even after rolling the windows up and down several times. Before this glued on tint film, I was using a screen attached to the window with a suction cup. But that was no good when window needed to be rolled down, and had to be detached every time. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2017 at 9:51 AM, ChevyBeat said:

Hey there in hot India...I like those shades, and are they removable? But that eBay vendor does not ship to USA!

I live in hot Florida as well, and my front window tint is 70% clear. Rear windows is darker, may be 50%. The cops in my town have not bothered me at all. But then I am such a good driver hahaha..

On 08/26/2017 at 5:48 AM, Bobby MSME said:

Hey there in hot India...I like those shades, and are they removable? But that eBay vendor does not ship to USA!

I live in hot Florida as well, and my front window tint is 70% clear. Rear windows is darker, may be 50%. The cops in my town have not bothered me at all. But then I am such a good driver hahaha..

Hi, Bobby. I left query with couple of ebay India sellers, lets see if one can send to USA. Couple of thing from last 2 yr use.

1. I like these instead of film even though these are not sufficient in blocking heat. But you can keep privacy with window down as well and air don't hit on face.

2. These are having a thick metal wire frame with 4-5 piece of magnet attached around corners. So you can remove when you want.

3. Though manufacturer tried best to match shape, some time it slip from metal door frame. Even 1-2 magnet crushed between door and body and made some hairline scratch. Normally not visible as place hide between door and body.

4. They now make front window shade with zip so its easy to pay toll, adjusting mirror etc. You need not to open door.

5. I had a 2nd thought if a rubber type magnet (usually found in fridge door lining) can hold better than 1 magnet around corner. If no seller is shipping to USA and if you can get a car upholstery guy who can make it, this thing can be tried.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bobby, 2 of seller denied sending outside India. Possibly this might because of regulation on e-retailers.

I was doing some searh and found a good word, photochromatic sun film, though didn't find a seller. Interesting thing I got is, in 2012 our apex court have banned any type of sunfilm on car window. Again, its not enforced properly so many people still apply to their car.

I can understand limits on how dark the window tint is allowed to be. But in India, where I spent first 19 years of my life, it is always sunny and hot. Tinting all windows except front windshield and part of front windows is very necessary, desirable and causes no significant safety problem. I use my 2 rear view mirrors to view what is coming from behind. I never turn my head backwards while driving. My 2017 Spark has a very good rear view camera which shows clearly what is behind in reverse gear.

No body accused governments of being intelligent or practical. So we must put up with it's stupidity, unfortunately. I worked for a dozen years in a US govt funded agency, and the waste of tax payer money I saw was mind boggling.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:25 AM, ChevyBeat said:

For photochromic sun film I checked on AliExpress. Got a seller who makes it. He is a nice guy and shown good interest. But as the cost is high (60$+), I am not going to buy. He told he can send sample, so if anyone interested I will post the link.

Just buy a roll of tinting film. Make paper template for each window with each window completely closed. Because that is the only part of glass you really need to tint.  Cut the film using templates. Work inside the car with all windows closed. Wind is a killer for this project. If too hot outside work in a cooler garage. Good lighting is necessary to spot every bubble which will be formed during the process.

Peel off the protective transparent film from the cut film. Fill a small spray bottle with water + a few drops of liquid soap or shampoo. Shake it vigorously. Wet the sticky part of film thoroughly. Spray water mix on the window glass. Now apply the cut film to glass. It can be moved easily while wet. When properly positioned, the final step is to remove all the bubbles. This takes some time and patience. I used a flat plastic squeegee (not rubber tipped, just plain plastic, rubber will grab the film and move it) and then finished with a soft cloth to absorb all excess water expelled by the squeegee. 

Very important....DO NOT ROLL WINDOWS DOWN for 48 HOURS, or until film is totally dry. 

Edited by Bobby MSME