New flip key for my 2017 LS

I bought a new flip key from ikeyless and had my dealer laser cut it for free. Now I can unlock and lock the drivers door with the remote. Super easy to program. Just insert your original key and turn the car ON. Then remove it and insert the new key and start the engine. Enjoy your new flip key!

IMG_3862_zpsg17u4nxa.jpg

Edited by finklejag
3 hours ago, finklejag said:

Do you notice that it locks on drive off and unlocks when you remove the key? 

Yeah, I noticed that but I don't really consider that power locks. By power locks, I meant being able to unlock the passenger door as well as the driver door with a key fob. Shouldn't be that hard to make the passenger power, though.

Edited by Eric1984

This is very intriguing. The LS model also doesn't have a remote open or unlock for the rear hatch, despite the fact that the latch is electrically operated when you use the key. This suggests possibilities to remotely open the trunk:

Get the 4 button version, with the button to open the trunk.

Get the 3 button version, and install the LT trim panel and the release button.

Get the 3 button version, and drill/install a release button into the existing LS trim panel.

• 5 months later...

So my wife bought her a Spark LS yesterday. She is a hospice nurse and drives wads of miles. We thought this would be a good car for her to drive until the wheels fall off of. Anyway I'm very intrigued by the flip key and fob. Not to worried about most of the lacking amenities but keyless entry would be very handy for her. She carries a lot of stuff in and out of patients houses and the keyless would be a great help on her return trip to the car. I'm curious did the dealer program the transponder when they cut it or does the car do this when you train it? I would assume the training is just for the keyless entry and not the transponder. 

Edited by Gomer
On 3/28/2017 at 9:47 PM, Eric1984 said:

Yeah, I noticed that but I don't really consider that power locks. By power locks, I meant being able to unlock the passenger door as well as the driver door with a key fob. Shouldn't be that hard to make the passenger power, though.

That would be central locking Eric, and can be done easily with a cheap door lock kit  https://www.crutchfield.com/p_220PRPDL45/Audiovox-PRO-PDL-45-door-lock-actuators.html

since one door is powered and has a locking pin with a rod it would activate the other doors. The only pita is running the wires to the doors and finding spots to mount the actuators.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

i know this is an old thread but I thought I would leave my experience in case anyone is searching the internet for another example of someone this worked for.  I have a 2016 Spark LS and it was delivered with a standard transponder key.  I purchased the Chevy branded switchblade key fob with lock, unlock, and panic buttons from a local locksmith (I like to support local small businesses whenever I can).  It cost me about $65 for the key and cutting, and I was able to program it myself.  I turned the car on (not the engine) with my original button-less key, then I removed it when the instrument panel lights turned off. Next, I repeated the procedure with my new key with entry buttons.   That was it.  I have a new key and I can unlock my driver door remotely. Of course this is the only door that I can unlock as it is the only door with power and an actuator.  I mostly drive solo and when I do have a passenger this is a small enough car that letting someone in isn't cumbersome, so I do not see this as an issue.  The panic button will not work ,which was expected since there is no alarm system.  Hope someone finds this helpful!

IMG_1206.JPG

Nice thread..nix480!! Quite useful for someone who wants to lock /unlock car from distance.

Such as an individual getting back into the car during dark hours without security. Don't have to fumble

with keys and keyhole.

I depend on "My Chevrolet" App to open my driver side lock. I tested it, and works fine. Nobody has robbed me since I dress to look like a ...well....wear baseball cap backwards or wear a hoodie in dangerous neighborhoods and walk fast LOL

Last time I traveled to south Asia, which was long time ago, I had plastered a large address label on my suitcase showing my Chicago address. And I wore a felt hat pulled down on my forehead. People actually gave me space, probably thought I must be associated with Al Capone who is quite famous worldwide.

• 8 months later...

i have a 2016 spark ls

so i wanted to give this a shot after just having the normal ls key with no buttons i decided to go on amazon and purchase a 5 button flip key for $12 the key has the unlock button the lock button the trunk release button the automatic start button and the alarm button.

after getting the flip key cut and doing the easiest programming of a key i have ever done the only buttons that work are the lock, unlock, and the alarm button- the alarm button makes the car beep about 4 times. i wasn't worried about the automatic start button working i knew it wouldn't but i really wanted the trunk release button to work unfortunately it didn't. 

thought this might be helpful to anyone who was curious like i was to see if more buttons would work.

at least now i dont have to keep inserting my key to unlock my car door.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all. Be aware that, for the 2017 and later cars, the procedure NIX480 outlined above requires *two* working keys. If you have just one, you’ll need to visit a dealer (or have access to a GDS or aftermarket scan tool with immobilizer functionality)

10 hours ago, JonBoy470 said:

Hi all. Be aware that, for the 2017 and later cars, the procedure NIX480 outlined above requires *two* working keys. If you have just one, you’ll need to visit a dealer (or have access to a GDS or aftermarket scan tool with immobilizer functionality)

According to the 2017 owners manual it can be done it just takes the long way where it takes thirty minutes or longer. You start with the new key, and once its done program the old key. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2018 at 10:59 PM, Tiger said:

Has anyone else accomplish this through ikeyless.com. I called the dealer and they are clueless with regards to the door being powered. 

I would not use them.  I just went through that process and they are generic keys.  I found OEM flip key on eBay for less money. https://www.ebay.com/itm/333546276266

Make sure you do your homework before just buying from someone else's recommendation!