1st time changing brakes question

You need to measure and make sure there is enough left for you to run another set of pads on it. Plus, new rotors on this car are so cheap (less than $30 on rockauto) that I would just put new ones in, saves time taking the old ones to get cut.

46 minutes ago, Mr.tozzi said:

You need to measure and make sure there is enough left for you to run another set of pads on it. Plus, new rotors on this car are so cheap (less than $30 on rockauto) that I would just put new ones in, saves time taking the old ones to get cut.

yeah my thoughts exactly.

even if i dont need to replace the discs, just having them for when i do

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am looking to replace brakes on mine for the first time.  Not a mechanic and have never done any brakes before. 2014 Spark LS with 72K miles.  Just recently started making noise (brake wear tab thing?).  No squeals, no shaking or vibrating, just a light tik tik tik tik noise when rolling, goes away when brakes are applied.

It seems from these forums I should just replace everything? Garage quoted me over $400 for just the front - assuming I can do it myself for half the damage.

Suggestions on parts? How-to videos?

Brakes are super easy to do on these cars. I would replace the rotors and get ceramic pads if I were you. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Took about 2 hrs. Just make sure to get the correct size 1/2" socket type Philips for the rotor screw. It has a good chance of stripping out if you don't have one and try to use a regular screw driver.