Suspension noise on right turns

My 2015 Spark LS1 has 14,600 miles. About 1,000 miles back I noticed that any time I make a right turn there's a rattling/binding sort of sound that's coming from the left front area. The dealer installed a new strut, control arm and sway bar end links. They told me "it's fixed" but I could tell they didn't seem confident about it. They had the car 2 weeks, and said they brought in an engineer to look at it. Anyway, it's exactly the same as it was. My question is what's left that could be making the noise? It's consistently doing it, any time I turn right, whether it's a little or a lot. I'm thinking maybe it's the CV joint, but I really don't know. Obviously they don't know either. I wish they had just been honest and told me they can't find it. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts on it.

W. Carver

Loose Brake caliper slider pins. Quite a few have reported this same sounding issue..but never resolved..so that is my best guess as I have seen this before on a few Korean GM units that use the same Caliper and 3rd party supplier...2010 Aveo and 2012 Spark 1.0L Euro Model. Not a big issue as caliper assemblies made to very 'loose' tolerances during poor quality control. Shouldn't affect braking or result in caliper damage as long as the rubber slider pin boots have a good seal.

10 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Loose Brake caliper slider pins. Quite a few have reported this same sounding issue..but never resolved..so that is my best guess as I have seen this before on a few Korean GM units that use the same Caliper and 3rd party supplier...2010 Aveo and 2012 Spark 1.0L Euro Model. Not a big issue as caliper assemblies made to very 'loose' tolerances during poor quality control. Shouldn't affect braking or result in caliper damage as long as the rubber slider pin boots have a good seal.

Thank you for the input. I'll pass that along to the dealer when I tell them the noise is still there. I'm trying to visualize how loose brake caliper slider pins would be consistently rattling or binding but only during right turns (when I'm going over uneven or bumpy surfaces) and no other time.   

21 hours ago, 15LeftoverGrape said:

Thank you for the input. I'll pass that along to the dealer when I tell them the noise is still there. I'm trying to visualize how loose brake caliper slider pins would be consistently rattling or binding but only during right turns (when I'm going over uneven or bumpy surfaces) and no other time.   

Ya, me too, but that seems to be the reported symptoms and issue causing it in some older models and now in the 2015-2016. I just used process of elimination and user feedback...It was successful in resolving two cases on Euro 2010-2012 Spark/Aveo and one 2016 US model Spark.

On 2/17/2017 at 8:20 PM, 15LeftoverGrape said:

My 2015 Spark LS1 has 14,600 miles. About 1,000 miles back I noticed that any time I make a right turn there's a rattling/binding sort of sound that's coming from the left front area. The dealer installed a new strut, control arm and sway bar end links. They told me "it's fixed" but I could tell they didn't seem confident about it. They had the car 2 weeks, and said they brought in an engineer to look at it. Anyway, it's exactly the same as it was. My question is what's left that could be making the noise? It's consistently doing it, any time I turn right, whether it's a little or a lot. I'm thinking maybe it's the CV joint, but I really don't know. Obviously they don't know either. I wish they had just been honest and told me they can't find it. Anyway, thanks for any thoughts on it.

W. Carver

Welcome to the forum, 15LeftoverGrape,

We’re very sorry to learn of these difficulties with your Spark, and apologize for any inconveniences caused. If you would like to further discuss with our team, we encourage you to send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Helen

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 4 months later...

Update: After taking the car back to the dealer, going for a short ride to show the service manager the noise, they replaced more parts (brake caliper, CV shaft), and the noise remained. They ended up replacing the transmission, which took care of the noise. So, now I'm at about 20k miles and the noise is back. It's a little more subtle and less consistent now, but that'll likely change. Also there's another noise. Kind of a rattling/binding noise, only with a load on the transmission. If I let off the gas, the noise vanishes. Give it a little gas, it returns. It's not loud, but it seems to be slowly getting louder. This could be a long 100,000 mile powertrain warranty for the Chevy dealer.

Edited by 15LeftoverGrape
59 minutes ago, 15LeftoverGrape said:

Update: After taking the car back to the dealer, going for a short ride to show the service manager the noise, they replaced more parts (brake caliper, CV shaft), and the noise remained. They ended up replacing the transmission, which took care of the noise. So, now I'm at about 20k miles and the noise is back. It's a little more subtle and less consistent now, but that'll likely change. Also there's another noise. Kind of a rattling/binding noise, only with a load on the transmission. If I let off the gas, the noise vanishes. Give it a little gas, it returns. It's not loud, but it seems to be slowly getting louder. This could be a long 100,000 mile powertrain warranty for the Chevy dealer.

Is it automatic or manual?

Located the source of the new noise - a heat shield that the bolt came out of, rattling around. That still leaves the noise I suspect is the transmission again. I think I'll wait until it gets worse before I push the dealer to address it. I have 80k miles to go on the powertrain warranty so I guess there's no big hurry.

Many of the CVT tranny's in the '14-'16 Sparks have had issues that resulted in a new tranny under warranty. Seems like every other day there is another report of CVT issues with this bizarre Jatco hybrid CVT design. Apparently the issues are less with the 2016- 2017, so maybe some programming or hardware changes..I'd go for a total replacement push since the replacement may be of newer design...