Coolant Overflow Tank Seal solutions

I recently attempted to seal the bonded edge of a leaky coolant overflow tank with JB Weld PlasticWeld Epoxy and it started peeling after a week. I'm left with a few questions:

- Is it possible that I hadn't mixed the epoxy well enough or cleaned the tank enough for it to properly bond to it? I thought I mixed it fairly well, applied a sufficient amount and left it cure/dry for about a day.
- If I get a new tank, would it be worth it to try to seal it before putting it on the vehicle? I'd like to think a new tank would be fine but I'm concerned that it would be just as cheap as the one I'm probably going to need to replace.

- Would flex seal tape create a sufficient seal?

- Are there better epoxy products for this job?

Any advice would be helpful. I'd rather not buy a new tank for a four year old car.

The replacement tank I bought is a slightly different design than the original so hopefully it will last . The tank doesn't cost much , the GM list price is only about $42  and you can get one online for around $30. For the cost I think it's better to replace than try to repair . I bought mine online for just convenience of not having to drive back and forth to the dealer to order and pick up and saved a few bucks in the process.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OneLittleSpark said:

I was hoping that it would be easy. Is it just those 3 hoses? Remove clamps, remove hose, remove tank, replace? No additional parts needed?

Correct..Just don't break any clamps and make a note of exactly which clamp goes where..try to keep hose ends facing up to avoid a mess...yes..part you will need is a quart of the correct coolant fluid..forget the name but MUST be to spec as per manual..mix 50/50 with cleanest water you can find..bottled water is good as it contains few minerals and no chlorine..do not use mineral water...Florida tap water is OK..best to let it stand a few hrs for the chlorine to gas out.