My spark is having some issues..

Hello, so i recently got a spark from my uncle.

Yesterday i popped the hood for the first time and gave it a quick check over, by no means however am i an expert when it comes to engines or anything else car related this is actually my first vehicle.

I did however spot that there were several large cracks in a hose leading from the air filter box to the engine block as shown in the pictures listed below.

I have no clue as to where i can find a hose like this in order to replace it (or if it even needs replacing) and what it would cost, keep in mind that i live in Belgium.

Also at the very top left of the engine bay there is a container, the fluids inside of it seem to have gone yellow where as i belive they'd need to be red? Should this be changed? 

And when the vehicle reaches around 120 kp/h on the highway the vehicle starts to shake quite a bit, mostly via the steering wheel, is there a fix for this or is this normal?

Are there any known problems with the Chevy spark that i should be aware of or have checked out? Mine is a 2010 model.

I've also just considered getting rid of my 57.000km (35.000mile) Spark and buying a more powerful Golf or something like that which has a bit more kick to it, any suggestions/input?

Thank you so much for any help on any of the questions i appreciate it!

Screenshot_2016-12-28-09-54-10.png

Screenshot_2016-12-28-09-54-04.png

Edited by Egon Slosse

Welcome to the forum, Egon,

We’re very sorry to hear that you’ve noticed these cracks in your Spark, and apologize for any inconveniences caused. While I understand you’re seeking opinions, please know that our team welcomes the opportunity to assist you with this vehicle concern. Unfortunately, because we are not certified mechanics, we are not able to provide you any technical advice or feedback. However, we'd be happy to look into this on our end. If interested, please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information and name of preferred dealer.

Helen

Chevrolet Customer Care

• 1 month later...

You should immediately change all the fluids out (oil, transmission, brakes, and coolant.) for fresh, so you know the mileage on said fluids.

next, get some de-greaser for the motor and some different sided brushes and go to town on that motor. Build respect for your new wheels right away.

8 hours ago, Engraver said:

You should immediately change all the fluids out (oil, transmission, brakes, and coolant.) for fresh, so you know the mileage on said fluids.

next, get some de-greaser for the motor and some different sided brushes and go to town on that motor. Build respect for your new wheels right away.

Really?... First oil change after 1Kmi on new car..the rest just follow the schedule. Reason for the short OCI on a new engine there are shavings from break-in and left over metallic deposits from manufacture assembly. Short first OCI applies to all new, first driven, internal combustion engines. Should be no grease on a new engine and most de-greasers will harm rubber...Use a cheap Walmart tire shine spray..prevents corrosion and shines the aluminum and metal without harming rubber....'Nuff said on that...

8 hours ago, Engraver said:

"You should immediately change all the fluids out (oil, transmission, brakes, and coolant.) for fresh". This is the worst advice I have seen in a while. Please do not follow this. Change the oil if it hadn't been done and drive it. Unless the car has a ton of miles none of this is needed except the oil change. 

• 3 weeks later...

I would follow the fluids change advice on a car with 35k that I just got and don't know how well it was serviced. 

The hose is an easy fix, just get one from the dealer. The shaking at 100kpm can be unbalanced tires, alignment, worn out suspension soft parts, take it to a shop and have them check.

My input on trading for a golf is to keep the spark if it is paid for, fix the little issues and drive until the wheels fall off, the best car to have is one that you don't need to make payments on.

• 5 weeks later...

I did the oil on both my wife's Mitsubishi as well as my Spark.. We bought them used on the same weekend. Without knowing when the last oil change was how can you know how old the oil is? And with the OP receiving this spark in that condition...to me, it would the logical thing to do. A brand new one off the lot? No, of course not!

Change engine oil & filter, since you do not know when it was changed last.

Coolant should have pink-red color if it is a GM supplied fluid.

However there are other reputable brands on the market which have different colors. 

Coolant change may not be necessary on an urgent basis.

Check brake fluid if it has burned smell or dark color. If so, have it changed.

Otherwise brake fluid change may not be necessary.

Spark owners manual recommends changing automatic transmission fluid 

after 72,000 km with severe conditions. When your car approaches that milestone, 

it may be time to change transmission fluid. 

As for the cracked hose, retired gearhead has the link to purchase the part.

I would replace any hose with cracks. That is better than getting stuck somewhere

with a car breakdown and having the car towed. Changing air intake hose can be

done yourself. Probably needs just loosening clamp screws at both ends.

Edited by Bobby MSME
!
  1. Step 1: File Your Complaint at CarComplaints.com

CarComplaints.com is a free site dedicated to uncovering problem trends and informing owners about potential issues with their cars. Major class action law firms use this data when researching cases.Add a Complaint

2. Step 2: Notify the Center for Auto Safety

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) is a pro-consumer organization that researches auto safety issues & often compels the US government to do the right thing through lobbying & lawsuits.

3. http://www.autosafety.org/submit-complaint/Notify the CAS

4. Step 3: Report a Safety Concern to NHTSA

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is the US agency with the authority to conduct vehicle defect investigations & force recalls. Their focus is on safety-related issues.

5. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Actions You Can Take

This step is crucial, don't just complain on forums! The sites above will actively manage your complaints and turn them into useful statistics. Both CarComplaints.com and the CAS will report dangerous trends to the authorities and are often called upon by law firms for help with Class Action lawsuits. Make sure to file your complaint on all three sites, we can't stress that enough.

Edited by Bobby MSME
!