I'm looking seriously at purchasing a used Spark. Budget is an issue, and with my student loan payments, I'd like to buy outright instead of getting saddled with a monthly payment. I'm going to look at a 2013 LS with 50,000 tomorrow, and I've been doing a lot of research but coming up short on the longevity question. Does anyone here with a higher mileage 2013-14 Spark have any thoughts? Will I just be spending the money I save on a monthly payment on endless repairs? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by aremyers
Typo

So far what I have seen mileage wise they have been good. Mine 14 has 47,000 on it and I have only replaced the coolant tank on it. Cost me about $30 for the tank and about 15 minutes for me to install. Plus you would have the remaining drivetrain warranty on it that would protect the engine and transmission. 

I have over 100Kmi on mine (2013) with no issues and still runs and looks like new even though I run it fast and hard (very hard)..Use synthetic oil and tires at 42-45psi. When going for a pre-purchase drive make sure it idles smoothly and that the PCV recall has been done. At 50Kmi it would usually need new tires and brakes..so check to see if that has been done.

I can't talk about longevity as mine only has 17k, but so far it has been a good car. drive it, make sure it sounds right, and definitely try to get service records and get the carfax and look trough it. 

Before going to try the one you are looking at, try to find one or two with less miles just to test drive it so you have something to compare it to.

• 2 weeks later...

My car has 52k on it. I've done the suggested oil changes and put an air filter in it a few weeks ago. I had a wheel bearing issue that was a factory QC issue out of the gate, and the whole A/C debacle everyone went through. I would have no qualms about buying a 50k mile spark for my wife. 

My car also has a pretty brutal life as far as Sparks go. 17" wheels and tires since 14k, lowered since 30k or so, also has a hitch and tows on a semi-regular basis. 85mph commute to work + stop and go at either end. #1 issue is the loose nut behind the wheel!

Edited by TheDrip
16 hours ago, TheDrip said:

My car has 52k on it. I've done the suggested oil changes and put an air filter in it a few weeks ago. I had a wheel bearing issue that was a factory QC issue out of the gate, and the whole A/C debacle everyone went through. I would have no qualms about buying a 50k mile spark for my wife. 

My car also has a pretty brutal life as far as Sparks go. 17" wheels and tires since 14k, lowered since 30k or so, also has a hitch and tows on a semi-regular basis. 85mph commute to work + stop and go at either end. #1 issue is the loose nut behind the wheel!

The last comment, classic!!!!

I don't remember seeing a photo of you lowered on 17's. Can you post so I can see please?

i found it. 

20151226_132917.jpg?m=1451158352

Edited by bluer101

Hey Bluer, ya, he has put that unit to the test..17" and lowered...amazing it still has the tranny and shocks OK...trailer is no big deal as I think he has a small light unit..I'm over 105Kmi..2013 auto tranny...no issues and still uses almost zero oil in 7,500Kmi on synthetic Eonos oil...Drive it in low gear sometimes..like low speed zones (school zones) and all the other times I drive it hard with foot to the floor downshifts all the time except highway cruises...Nice post Bud..and Merry Christmas..

• 3 months later...

mine is close to 60,000 and its been a fun car and has saved me alot at the gas pump.

im just not about to change out the brakes (possibly discs) and get it aligned.

other than that, as long as its been taken care of the way it should. the car shouldn't have any issues.

• 6 months later...

Car is over 60k miles now, and still gets beat like a rented mule. I did finally have a "major" failure though.

Bearings in the transmission had to be replaced. The final diagnosis is that the manual trans was not designed for high-rpm down shifting with heavy engine braking. Covered under warranty.

For anyone who thinks the trailer hitch doesn't cause abuse, hook up 800 pounds to the back of your car and try driving some of the mountain passes in Colorado or California. 3rd gear, full throttle at 5000rpm to maintain speed. Turn the A/C off because you will need that extra 3hp. Dallas TX to Denver CO, and Dallas to San Diego with an 800 pound trailer. Neither was a pleasant drive.

My car should be retired into a museum of automotive abuse!