chirping belt and loss of power?

OK so I have a 2014 Spark.  We were on a  road trip saturday and the car started making a  chirping noise like a belt starting to squeak.  At the same time it would shift oddly and hesitate somewhat.  It wasn't a hard jerking shift but enough to be noticeable.  The chirping was simultaneous with the jerking/ shifting/ whatever it was doing.  We stopped at a dealership and they repaired some recalls including a transmission pulley, but after driving about 20 miles it started doing it again.  Has anyone had this happen before, and what is it?  The chirp last anywhere from one second up to 3-4 seconds.  Every mechanic I have talked to says they have no idea and cant duplicate the problem.  Any thoughts?  

On 11/21/2016 at 3:14 PM, Tanya Shelnutt said:

OK so I have a 2014 Spark.  We were on a  road trip saturday and the car started making a  chirping noise like a belt starting to squeak.  At the same time it would shift oddly and hesitate somewhat.  It wasn't a hard jerking shift but enough to be noticeable.  The chirping was simultaneous with the jerking/ shifting/ whatever it was doing.  We stopped at a dealership and they repaired some recalls including a transmission pulley, but after driving about 20 miles it started doing it again.  Has anyone had this happen before, and what is it?  The chirp last anywhere from one second up to 3-4 seconds.  Every mechanic I have talked to says they have no idea and cant duplicate the problem.  Any thoughts?  

Known issues with the Jatco-7 CVT tranny are many and some can be fixed by reprogramming and belt replacement..ultimately many have had the CVT replaced under warranty.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring back old thread, didn't want to start a whole new one describing the exact same issue I'm having.

I'm also having Tanya's issues. I did go ahead and replace both belts(serpentine and AC belt) and now the belt chirping noise is gone. But now the car still does shift oddly/hesitate. 

Went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, no resolve

took to mechanic, they drove and were able to find cylinder 1 and 4 slight misfire but no engine code. Unable to determine issue

took to dealership, unable to replicate issue and also went on a ride with one of their mechanic and car wouldn't hesitate(my luck)

Dealership told me to keep driving until I get an engine code to pop up and after just getting back from driving for an hour, still no engine code

Anyone have this issue/know of a fix?

thank you 

• 6 months later...

I have been having that exact problem for over a year. Dealer can't find any issues. It's getting worse. I'm just shy of 100k miles. I plan on trading it soon. Our 2013 Spark had a complete engine replacement at 35k miles. I had high hopes for these cars but unfortunately they just aren't living up to the GM reputation.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2017 at 0:29 AM, thereisnompg said:

Sorry to bring back old thread, didn't want to start a whole new one describing the exact same issue I'm having.

I'm also having Tanya's issues. I did go ahead and replace both belts(serpentine and AC belt) and now the belt chirping noise is gone. But now the car still does shift oddly/hesitate. 

Went ahead and replaced the spark plugs, no resolve

took to mechanic, they drove and were able to find cylinder 1 and 4 slight misfire but no engine code. Unable to determine issue

took to dealership, unable to replicate issue and also went on a ride with one of their mechanic and car wouldn't hesitate(my luck)

Dealership told me to keep driving until I get an engine code to pop up and after just getting back from driving for an hour, still no engine code

Anyone have this issue/know of a fix?

thank you 

Using process of elimination, sounds like the belts were the cause of noise since that was resolved by a belt replace. The CVT tranny issue may need a 'reprogram' to resolve the odd shifting issue. Many others have had the 'hesitation' issue while at a stop light and then trying to get up to speed again as well as hesitation while at speed and then suddenly giving gas to increase speed rapidly..say to pas traffic etc. The 2014's had more issues with the CVT than later years. I do believe there were one or two recalls for the CVT..hope that points you to a better understanding of the issue and you could inquire about recalls and a CVT reprogram. The CVT will rarely if at all give an error code.

• 3 months later...