I got a Spark because I was looking for a small inexpensive car--four wheels and a gear shift--to gin around town. Did not expect a Lincoln Towncar. I now have the car with the loudest road noise on the highway. Cannot carry on a conversation without constantly shouting and leaning sideways to hear. What a disappointment!!!!!

So I ordered this and installed it in the trunk area this morning:

Noico 50 mil 25 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AVX5HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AVb1xbFXGRN8V

I can honestly say I think it made a big difference. I only put it in the trunk area after removing everything. I'd like to also put some on the bare floor boards under the drivers and passengers areas but I didn't want to get into all that today. Give it a whirl!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think the kit I got (see link above) would not cover the entire floor along with the trunk. But I have four sheets left over which would give me a decent coverage.

So I would get two of the kits I got or at least 40 sq. ft. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/10/2016 at 10:37 AM, Jeff said:

So I ordered this and installed it in the trunk area this morning:

Noico 50 mil 25 sqft car Sound deadening mat, butyl automotive Sound Deadener, audio Noise Insulation and dampening https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012AVX5HQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AVb1xbFXGRN8V

I can honestly say I think it made a big difference. I only put it in the trunk area after removing everything. I'd like to also put some on the bare floor boards under the drivers and passengers areas but I didn't want to get into all that today. Give it a whirl!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great photo's! Confucius says "a picture worth a thousand words". 

On 3/25/2017 at 11:41 PM, Bobby MSME said:

Great photo's! Confucius says "a picture worth a thousand words". 

Although I think this is the best location and application for sound proofing..a nice clean job as well, I'm pretty sure Confucius was not only not around before photography was invented, but he was not familiar with the English language let alone that there was an England, in fact...well, you get my drift...Anyways.. a picture is darn swell when describing anything tech..specially on the site! I've seen a page worth of issue or mod descriptions that could have been better understood with just one line and a pix...B)

• 4 weeks later...

First determine source of most of the noise. Is it the tires, or the engine compartment, or rear trunk area, or mainly wind noise due to open windows. The 2017 Spark engine has a hood which should help with noise. Additional insulation layer attached to the hood will reduce noise coming into passenger compartment. Try adding insulation to the firewall. The pictures in this thread for applying insulation layer in the trunk and trunk lid could help cut noise. I understand this one of the cheapest car on the market comes with cheap tires. Why is that not expected? Replace with expensive tires known to run quieter.

If everything fails, and car noise is still obnoxious, do not wear headphones! Those are illegal in most states. However cotton balls in ears could be the last resort. Just take them out before talking to the officer who pulls you over :);)