Insurance Question - Is a Spark with a Salvaged Title that was Rebuilt, a Risky Purchase?

Hi all,

in my hunt for the perfect Spark, I came across a 2013 LS Spark with around 53,xxx miles on it. It has a salvaged title (that was rebuilt), however, so I am worried that it may be too risky with insurance. What do you all think? Does anyone have a Spark with rebuilt title that would like to share their experience(s) with me? Not sure if I should risk it. The price seems good though (it is priced at under $6,000).

Thanks,

Brandon

Edited by bkeberl

Could have some insurance implications, but the main thing is that a 'salvaged' & rebuilt unit is, well, basically just asking for unknown problems down the road.

$6,000 for a base '13 with no powertrain warranty and most likely extensive body work done, etc..is not a good price...Maybe $3,000 might be worth the risk.

Not knowing how much it was damaged, IMO...well, if you can afford $6K, there are a number of undamaged units out there...That's my take on that.

Yeah that's way too much money , you can get a clean titled Spark  for that price or less .That said , there is a dealer in my area that that only sells salvage cars , really nice ones . A salvage car is just car that's been considered a total loss by the insurance . Many of these are theft recovery like this particular  dealer sells . I was actually going to buy a perfect condition Mini Cooper S from them years back for a good price . Your at your own risk of course but you can snap up a bargain many times with cars that are perfectly good . In your case though , it's no bargain at all at that price .

• 3 weeks later...

If you are comfortable with $5K and not being able to drive or have it checked out, you could take the risk and bargain down a bit. Remember it is 3+ yrs old and the low end model. If I had to assume the risk I would take it at $4K since at 53Kmi it may need new brakes and tires...Personally I would never buy a unit without a drive and check up. Lot's of used 2013's in lots or private that you can drive & have it checked first at around $5K. That's my take on this and it may be a perfectly good car or may need a whole pile of money for brakes, tires, bearings etc...