So the only complaint I have about our cheap-o car is the lack of a trunk pop button. We got a KILLER deal on one with manual locks and windows. However, to open the hatch requires the key. I know it is an electronically actuated lock, but stupid GM didn't put a button anywhere (that I can find). Other cars I've had located it in the center console, next to the gas door lever, or in the glove box. 

Has anyone DIY'd a trunk pop button? 

I think that will be my first modification. 

Yep, I didn't think much of it when we looked at he car because I assumed there would be a button on the interior. With the automatic locks the button on the hatch works when all the other doors are unlocked. With manual locks there is no button on the hatch. I doubt many people will run into this because the vast majority of Sparks have automatic locks. However, once I decide to take apart our new car I will post a DIY. 

Strangely enough the driver's door is automatic and locks when you move it out of park. Real safe if the other 3 doors are unlocked, lol. Of course, the back doors dont count because I have to show everyone where the handle is (part of the reason I love the design of the car, it looks like a 3 door).

Edited by GammaRadiation
2 hours ago, GammaRadiation said:

Yep, I didn't think much of it when we looked at he car because I assumed there would be a button on the interior. With the automatic locks the button on the hatch works when all the other doors are unlocked. With manual locks there is no button on the hatch. I doubt many people will run into this because the vast majority of Sparks have automatic locks. However, once I decide to take apart our new car I will post a DIY. 

Strangely enough the driver's door is automatic and locks when you move it out of park. Real safe if the other 3 doors are unlocked, lol. Of course, the back doors dont count because I have to show everyone where the handle is (part of the reason I love the design of the car, it looks like a 3 door).

Lol, that's messed up. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have an appointment Monday to have remote locks installed. I will let you all know if the hatch has an electronic motor or if i have to ad it. He said if it is electric it will only be about $100.00 for the driver door and rear hatch, I am not really concerned about passenger door or back since I am usually by my self and I removed the rear seats and made the spark into an ultra micro mini van

Edited by atcspaul

My 2014 LT with manual locks has an electric lock for the hatch.  There is an lock/unlock button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.  Note that this only unlocks the hatch so it can be opened by the trunk release - it does not "pop" it open.

I installed power lock actuators to the 4 doors and keyless entry and was able to tie in the existing hatch lock actuator (I just tapped into the lock/unlock switch on the dash).

Edited by SparkDriver
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I installed a remote power locks kit for all my doors and wired the hatch release as well. I plan on doing a full write up eventually and posting it here. Anyways the wire you're looking for is Yellow w/ Blue Stripe, have the other side of your switch connected to ground and you're all set. I tapped into it under seat/floor trim piece in the back seat LH side. Keep in mind this switch remains active while driving!

20170502_183846.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

on my 2019  ls i found the wires going to the actual physical lock in the door. I wired in the wires to go to the front driver's side door. It took a while to figure out how to run the wiring down the upper part of the hatch door, through the rubber tubing and back into the car on the driver's side. Then connected wires to a momentary switch. Looking to later have the car door locks and viper system installed. I got a quote of 499 dollars locally in central Florida. Tinting later for about $149, also ebay has a really cool storm trooper rear window decal I want the tinter to install as well.

• 1 year later...

I didn't realize this base model LS was missing a rear hatch button and requires a key to open. I see LT models have the button, and some users have previously stated they will add a button but didnt report on the outcome.

I have verified that there in fact a wired signal from the key lock to an electrically actuated hinge to open, so GM actually just cheaped out on the button itself!? 

Does anyone know the OEM part for the LT model hatch door button or an aftermarket one that fits?

It seems to not be available online. This part claims to be the oem replacement 96940890 for the chevy sonic hatchback release 2012+, and visually the release buttons look to be the same, so I will buy it and try my luck. worst case some jigsawing and silicone caulk will make it work. 

I will update everyone with my progress.

b3c537dfe2aab59abdeefd12628caca6.png

I have confirmed the button I listed above is the correct button, and it can be bought for under $10.

The handle well with the proper cutout can be had for $5 part # 95388834 for those who prefer not to dremel the LS one which does not have a cutout for the button. One thing that is confusing is that I dont see which component is the switch itself, and the description of this handle well on some sources says that it has the switch. For $5 if it comes with the $10 switch, thats a no brainer. I will order it and report back.

Looking at the wiring, I believe the simplest way to do this for me is to wire the button in parallel with the keyswitch, which means only $25 for this upgrade in total, very very simple wiring, but from now on I can never lock the liftgate (i dont really care, was not planning on locking the doors anyways since i have manual locks and live in Canada). 

If someone is willing to climb over the rear seats to steal my sunglasses, they will be willing to smash the windows or slimjim the locks anyways. 

One lesson I learned, dont remove the interior trim when the car is -23 degrees celsius, the plastic tabs will all snap as plastic loses its toughness in the cold. Do this trim removal when the weathers warm. 

143807821_1384171245264890_5134064062010154252_n.jpg

143930501_247606363433476_7688924567886797407_n.jpg

144111787_2872359113043171_6039836221779492933_n.jpg

Capture.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

The sonic hatch switch ($8) contained the part for the spark, and I was able to install it as planned. Works great, definitely a worthwhile upgrade, and very easy to remove the trim to do it. 

I've tried the higher trim level spark hatch door and the two are indistinguishable. The cutout for the switch is 42 * 20 mm and the plastic is 3 mm thick, a special plastic cutting Dremel blade is probably best but I used a router bit and it melted through it. Cleaned it up with a file afterwards.

I used a wire splice kit to be minimally intrusive to the existing wiring and had to extend the wires that came with the OEM switch by a few inches using marrets. When I removed the trim I broke one tab but amazingly that tab was redundant and created a perfect size/location hole to run the wires.

I can load groceries without putting them down and looking for my keys like a chump now.

PXL_20210224_020131769.jpg

PXL_20210224_005442299.jpg

PXL_20210223_234828542.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 11/20/2016 at 12:07 PM, SparkDriver said:

My 2014 LT with manual locks has an electric lock for the hatch.  There is an lock/unlock button on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.  Note that this only unlocks the hatch so it can be opened by the trunk release - it does not "pop" it open.

I installed power lock actuators to the 4 doors and keyless entry and was able to tie in the existing hatch lock actuator (I just tapped into the lock/unlock switch on the dash).

I realize this is an older post but I just wanted to point something out and ask a question that someone may have found the answer to buy now. #1 the bar models with manual locks do have a driver's door power lock which you can unlock thru the OnStar app if you pay for the service and that's the reason they include that one for with a power lock is the potential to sell you the OnStar service as the ability to unlock your car is half of the selling point. But this is potentially a bonus for those of us with base models as I've heard that you can buy a factory keyless remote and either program it to your car yourself if you have 2 factory keys or have it programmed and it will work to unlock the drivers door since r even though we only have the one power lock the rest of the keyless remote system is built into the car the same as the higher end models but as it's not a listed feature on the car Chevy just doesn't include the remote. I've seen several posts from people claiming this works but I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this and had success? And specifically on a 2020 model. Additionally I'm curious to know if since the rear hatch does release electrically even when using the key does that mean it's also wired to the factory keyless system as well and could therefore be opened with the keyless remote? Or on the higher end models does the remote just unlock the hatch and then you have to open it by hitting the release on the outside of the hatch which base models doing come with? I'm really curious if buying a remote and programming it would give me another option to open the hatch besides the key as it's really annoying having to shut the car off in order to open the hatch Everytime due to the lack of even a a hatch release button inside the car. Seeing the other posts describing purchasing and installing a latch button or wiring one to the dash yourself may be the way I have to go but if I could simply buy and hook up a keyless remote instead that would be much simpler and have the added value of letting me lock and unlock the drivers door as well. I know it's possible to convert the other doors to power locks as well but that's not a feature is use enough to be worth it to me but the ability to open the hatch without the key would be great. I know I bought a base model car that's got minimal features but it's funny to me how those base features include things like Bluetooth, a touchscreen headset with GPS and a backup camera but it lacks something as basic as a button or latch to open the rear hatch and I especially wish they had included cruise control. 

• 2 months later...

@michatron,  Did the GM #95388834 (Handle well) from the GM parts website you mentioned come with the electronic button switch? I'd rather not have to dremel the cutout to fit the switch and if it comes with the switch, great. If not I will order the switch on amazon

Edited by Cory
forgot to address OP
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 9:56 PM, Cory said:

@michatron,  Did the GM #95388834 (Handle well) from the GM parts website you mentioned come with the electronic button switch? I'd rather not have to dremel the cutout to fit the switch and if it comes with the switch, great. If not I will order the switch on amazon

@CoryI confirmed it is not included with that part, luckily it's only $8 for the button and button housing if you order an assembly for another gm car and pull the button like I did

Edited by michatron
Forgot to address Cory
  • 3 weeks later...

@michatron I used your mod Idea  for the trunk popper and it worked great. quite easy. I had to remove one of the plastic fasteners and use the hole run the wires from the switch to key lock wires. There more than enough fasteners left to keep that part of the trunk on. I just added a bit of calking on the hole around the wires.

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, michatron said:

The sonic hatch switch ($8) contained the part for the spark, and I was able to install it as planned. Works great, definitely a worthwhile upgrade, and very easy to remove the trim to do it. 

I've tried the higher trim level spark hatch door and the two are indistinguishable. The cutout for the switch is 42 * 20 mm and the plastic is 3 mm thick, a special plastic cutting Dremel blade is probably best but I used a router bit and it melted through it. Cleaned it up with a file afterwards.

I used a wire splice kit to be minimally intrusive to the existing wiring and had to extend the wires that came with the OEM switch by a few inches using marrets. When I removed the trim I broke one tab but amazingly that tab was redundant and created a perfect size/location hole to run the wires.

I can load groceries without putting them down and looking for my keys like a chump now.

PXL_20210224_020131769.jpg

PXL_20210224_005442299.jpg

PXL_20210223_234828542.jpg

Did you just splice into the wires shown in the photo with the orange wire nuts?  Does the hatch still lock?

Edited by Redorange
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 4:20 AM, Redorange said:

Did you just splice into the wires shown in the photo with the orange wire nuts?  Does the hatch still lock?

the hatch does not lock anymore, the contact button is in parallel with the lock barrel so pressing the button has the same effect that turning the lock barrel does. i teed in using the tee splice kit and used the orange marrets to connect the splice kit wires to the leads of the button i bought.

• 9 months later...

Could always get ground from the shifter in park so that the button would only operate when car is on and shifter in park

or could also add a switch inside open disconnect ground closed connect ground as a digital lock. Bought my spark in winter so didnt mod mine yet as soon as its warm i plan to wire one button on dash that will operate when car is on and in park. One button outside in the handle with a switch to break ground inside as a digital lock that will work when in unlock position. Unless i find a way to use lock status to kill the switch. I do use a keyfob with the driver door already that was a easy mod