Telling ya, I'm about to let the bank repo my 2015 spark because of the cvt. 4 times in shop and now I can't drive with the a/c on because it creates a too heavy load for the car so it can't accelerate to interstate speeds. Been dealing with it for 4 months to get the runaround

• 3 weeks later...

The car 

On July 8, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Wub2Dub said:

Is that really a CVT issue though? xD

Yes, the car had no issues until the CVT transmission recall back in Feb. since then all they keep doing is reprogramming the transmission module and saying well we know there is a problem but no fix. 6 times after it goes in this week in 4 months. Was told when A/C is on, it puts the car in a heavy load so theCVT doesn't work properly which is why it shudders and can't accelerate to proper speeds 

On July 8, 2016 at 10:41 AM, VegasSpark said:

Im curious if the new 16s had the kinks worked out of them too.

Test drove the 16, and drive way nicer than my crap 15. Like a totally different car no shuddering, no whirling of the transmission, being able to accelerate. Transmission is also quiet. But the new 16's have the eco tech engine not the S-tec like mine 

On July 1, 2016 at 11:26 PM, spark2014 said:

does anybody on here drive a 2016 with the cvt? just curious if its as bad as the 2015-2015 cvt?

Well took my dad to go test drive Saturday to help prove that what mine is doing isn't normal... My dad loved it so much he bought it knowing how many issues I've had with my 2015. 

the 2016 is a whole new car. so what applies for the older models do not necessarily applies for the new one.

Flygirl just got a really bad car, I got a 14 with the cvt and had no issues so far, had it for 6 months now, got it with 6200 miles and it has 14000 now.

2016 has the Eco-Tec engine not the S-tec engines the 15 has. One dealership explained it to me that they knew the 15's has problems which is why they changed engines. The Eco-Tecs drive much smoother. If you compare the 16 my dad bought Saturday to mine, way different. 

GM changed the engine because they are working on unifying their platforms and having only one family of engines keeps cost down.

Also the new ecotec is more efficient, quieter and produces less vibration making the car more pleasant to drive.

The stech is a good motor and have been running on the gm korea(daewoo) built vehicles, ie chevy aveo, for a long time, its just old and it was time to let it go. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with having problems, which the engine itself does not have any issues anymore after the pcv recall.

• 2 months later...

i trade my 2013 spark for a new 2016 spark the cvt trans i have in mine is crap. i have to shift it to low when i come to a stop sign 90% of the time it dont down shift.other than the trans issue its a much better car.chevy said the trans issue is normal . i dont think so

Hello. Not sure if I should have started a new thread or not but my concern relates to the cvt.  My '16 LT has issues with acceleration from either a dead stop or at 5 mph.  It bogs down bad and then will accelerate. (I have not really tested the ac on/ac off idea.)  This has happened multiple times since when we bought the car in May.   This car has put me in situations that are not safe. When I mash the pedal I want to go, not wait for the hamsters to spool up and think about it. This is the first vehicle with a cvt I've had but didn't notice the lag when I test drove it.  When I spoke with the salesman today he did mention there might be a software update but didn't offer up anything else. I will be calling the dealership for an appointment to get it checked out. I hope this update will fix the issue but I'm not sure.  I'm not sure I'll own another cvt vehicle again.   Just my experience.  Thanks for your time.