Your Chevy Spark's Best Fuel Mileage?

I am assuming that is based on Imperial gallons which are larger than US gallons. So your mileage should be higher than ours. I assume your mile is the same length as ours... 5,280ft.

Yeah, that would be imperial gallons. We don't really measure stuff in gallons in the UK, its normally in litres; For some reason we don't calculate fuel consumption in Miles Per Litre though...

And yeah, i believe a UK mile is the same as a US mile.

I've often wondered why the US quote lower MPG figures than the UK, and now i know it's because of a difference in the measurement of a gallon! Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You must have mostly flat areas, no matter how hard I try I can't get anywhere near your mileage at the speeds you are traveling. At 75 I'd be down to about 35mpg.

My best was 52mpg driving a steady 50mph on cruise. Driving at 90mph on cruise I get 30mpg. Driving at 100mph I get 23mpg and flashing red/blue lights on my rear view mirror..if I continue at that spe

worked at Nissan for awhile. The folks who make the cvt for GM. Nissan CVT's in the V6 vehicles are just ok. the 4 cylinder Nissan CVT's are junk. other than that 11 month sidetrack, I have been with

Posted Images

I push the clutch in on long downhill stretches or approaching stops sometimes and on a 1/2 mile coast like that I watched the avg MPG climb at least .5 MPG. On the 13 mile commute home from work I can bump the AVG up 2 MPG sometimes. ;)

You are probably using more fuel doing that... Anything above 30mph or so the dfco along with the vvt nets you pretty much 0 fuel use. By pushing in the clutch the injectors have to operate to keep the engine running vs momentum turning it over....

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably using more fuel doing that... Anything above 30mph or so the dfco along with the vvt nets you pretty much 0 fuel use. By pushing in the clutch the injectors have to operate to keep the engine running vs momentum turning it over....

These cars are FBW and as you may have noticed they don't engine brake, at least very well. If you dump the throttle at speed there's little difference between the decel with the clutch in or out. My guess is that the ECU maintains stoic matching the revs to some extent in order to help emmisions. The best way to reduce fuel consumption is to hold the clutch in or shift to neutral in manual trans cars. That lets the revs drop back to idle. Neither of my Sparks close the injectors completely on decel and I suppose it's because of the FBW lets the ECU overide gas pedal inputs.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We took a trip with our manual Spark and averaged low 40's (40-43mpg), Mostly highway and county roads. I wanna know if people are going off what their cars computer says or if they're going off gallons they put in and divide that by miles traveled. Chevy claims they have a 9.3 gallon tank. Which is false. I've been able to get 10-10.2 gallons in the tank on several fill ups. I guess best way to see what the max highway MPG is, fill tank to the max. That means don't stop after the gas pump clicks. Don't be shy, tank will take another 1/2-3/4 of a gallon pretty easily. And then bring a full gas can. And now proceed to drive until tank is almost empty. I would love to try this some time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/10/2016 at 5:19 PM, jbaker2379 said:

44.61 at 600 miles. babied while being broken in. some 80mph highway jaunts still return over 43mpg. 2016 LS 1.4 MTM. real figuring, not off DIC

Yup..That's pretty good..I get that on cruise at 60mph (2013-auto tranny). Your all aluminum engine seems to be the way engines are going now...better heat distribution as well as no 'side slip wear' on the head gasket. Good thing you side stepped the CVT for a manual..I saw an increase in gas mileage and performance after about 10Kmi. I would change the first factory oil at the 600-1,000mi on this, well, in fact, any unit due to factory and run-in shavings..aluminum is not caught in the oil pan magnets like a iron block..using synthetic helps oil & engine life as well as gas mileage. Still hearing/reading about CVT issues in other models...3 yrs running bad data on the CVT's..Mostly Jatco on 3L and smaller engines and Jatco-7 also issues on smaller engines less than 2L. I can get 43Mpg on my Rover V8..well..as long as I put it on cruise on a long flat highway at 15mph..Ok..'Nuff said..

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:26 AM, Retired old Gearhead said:

Yup..That's pretty good..I get that on cruise at 60mph (2013-auto tranny). Your all aluminum engine seems to be the way engines are going now...better heat distribution as well as no 'side slip wear' on the head gasket. Good thing you side stepped the CVT for a manual..I saw an increase in gas mileage and performance after about 10Kmi. I would change the first factory oil at the 600-1,000mi on this, well, in fact, any unit due to factory and run-in shavings..aluminum is not caught in the oil pan magnets like a iron block..using synthetic helps oil & engine life as well as gas mileage. Still hearing/reading about CVT issues in other models...3 yrs running bad data on the CVT's..Mostly Jatco on 3L and smaller engines and Jatco-7 also issues on smaller engines less than 2L. I can get 43Mpg on my Rover V8..well..as long as I put it on cruise on a long flat highway at 15mph..Ok..'Nuff said..

worked at Nissan for awhile. The folks who make the cvt for GM. Nissan CVT's in the V6 vehicles are just ok. the 4 cylinder Nissan CVT's are junk. other than that 11 month sidetrack, I have been with GM for 20 years. I saw a 2013 Spark with a burned valve and a 2016 Spark that had a bad Kuhmo right off the carrier. 41 lbs of road force on the balancer. Not many problems, even while under warranty with these vehicles. my 2016 with 14 more hp and VVT and 5 spd. has no trouble entering the highways via the short on-ramps in PA. 

Sheetz gasoline is popular here in the northeast. after two back-to-back tanks of 43.39 with Valero and 43.38 with Exxon, Sheetz returned 42.23 running exactly the same routes. I will stick with top-tier fuels. Does anybody else live in the northeast and deal with junk gas in the winter? my last car lost 2.5 mpg in the winter.(88 Pontiac 6000 2.8 V6) Does the Sparks' mileage get worse in winter?

• 4 months later...
On 7/18/2016 at 2:21 PM, jbaker2379 said:

Sheetz gasoline is popular here in the northeast. after two back-to-back tanks of 43.39 with Valero and 43.38 with Exxon, Sheetz returned 42.23 running exactly the same routes. I will stick with top-tier fuels. Does anybody else live in the northeast and deal with junk gas in the winter? my last car lost 2.5 mpg in the winter.(88 Pontiac 6000 2.8 V6) Does the Sparks' mileage get worse in winter?

They change the gas during winter.  It has a different RVP.  Also your car takes more time to warm up in winter months.  Colder temps = longer to warmup meaning car is less efficient = lower gas mileage.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...