Sophia Nicole Pifher

2016 Spark Upgrades

32 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, ANewSpark said:

I was given the price of $200-300 for headers from a local custom auto fab shop, still deciding on exhaust. I have a 5spd it makes it way more fun to drive. There is no tune for the trans, but if you go to the dealer and get a reflash for the trans i guess it makes it shift better. When you pay for the tune from BNR you also get the handheld to load tunes on and do logging. You send files back and forth the Jerry until the tune is to your liking.

Headers and exhaust mods will slow you down as the sensors will see less back pressure and compensate with retarding the timing as well as VVT timing...sorry bud..with a computer controlled system there is very little you can do other than tune, clean air filter and synthetic oil. ONLY real HP increase can be done with a head shave to 12:1 compression and then you need to run higher octane. Only a very good mechanic can do this as the clearance will be tiny.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

4 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Headers and exhaust mods will slow you down as the sensors will see less back pressure and compensate with retarding the timing as well as VVT timing...sorry bud..with a computer controlled system there is very little you can do other than tune, clean air filter and synthetic oil. ONLY real HP increase can be done with a head shave to 12:1 compression and then you need to run higher octane. Only a very good mechanic can do this as the clearance will be tiny.

The ECU will keep the power as close to stock as possible no matter what you do as far as bolt ons. These cars have TQ management system that retards the power at a certain point. Though typically the ECU won't retard timing and VVT. Once you hit the torque limit it will just slightly close the throttle and limits air/fuel into the motor.

A tune will open up the stock limitations and take full advantage of the better flowing engine. 

Torque management also slows the speed at which the throttle body opens. So no matter how fast you press on the accelerator the throttle will open at a set value. This helps with stress on the driveline.  Here is a video done on a C7 Corvette. I had a Chevy Tralblazer and it was the same way. 

21 hours ago, ANewSpark said:

The ECU will keep the power as close to stock as possible no matter what you do as far as bolt ons. These cars have TQ management system that retards the power at a certain point. Though typically the ECU won't retard timing and VVT. Once you hit the torque limit it will just slightly close the throttle and limits air/fuel into the motor.

A tune will open up the stock limitations and take full advantage of the better flowing engine. 

Partially correct: Ignition timing and VVT angle is constantly being changed and mods will not change that. Since air is not forced into combustion but drawn in, a zero restricted airflow will only draw in the amount of air needed for combustion at pre determined #'s. A clean stock air filter does this. Changing exhaust flow will make no difference as the ECM will compensate. PPL need to realize that a faster more powerful car can only come about by buying a more HP/torque vehicle.

For every new component put in you need to adjust the tune to be able to take advantage of it. The computer was programmed to make the car run at a certain ammount of hp/torque and it will always try to do exactly that. 

You don't necessarily need to buy a car with more power, but sure need to know if there's any support to tune the car. 

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 4:56 AM, denware said:

Hi Sophia and welcome!

I'm also a new member and I recently purchased a 2016 Spark LS Manual. The main reason I'm replying is that I just had a cruise control kit installed. I purchased the Rostra 250-9619 (250-9618 automatic) from Amazon for just over $240 and had a local shop install it for $80.00. It's basically plug & play except for one hot wire. I was going to install it myself, but couldn't figure out how to remove the steering column cover without destroying it, or even worse, messing up one of the airbags.

Anyways, it works like a charm!!

And, I wish you the best on your mods!

Will this cruse control kit fit a 2017 model? Ive been looking and cant find anything.

I'm pretty sure it will work since it does on my 2016. Though, give them a call to verify.