New Owner, Super-Base Model

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 2016 Spark LS for my Fiance for under $11K Tax, Tag, Title included! So far I am very happy with the car. It is nothing compared to my Miata, but taken by itself it is a blast to drive. I have actually quickly grown to enjoy and appreciate the CVT transmission.

It has manual locks, windows, and mirrors. The weird thing is the drivers door has a power lock that only operates when you take it out of park.

We are taking it to the autocross next month to see how it does! If enough spots are open I will run both my '92 Miata and the Spark.

Every time I drive it I have to turn the traction control off. I've found the traction control causes unnecessary hesitation off the line when you punch it. I've already tested the ABS and Traction Control. TCS is not really necessary in my mind, but she doesn't seem to mind or even notice it so another layer of safety is good, I guess.

Plans for it include tint, aftermarket wheels and tires, and plasti-dip the badges (I find them to stick out like a sore thumb, otherwise a cute car). I wanted to dip the whole car at first to blue. On second thought, though, the Miata is already blue. For wheels I am thinking something very light like Konig Helium 15x6.5's 40mm with Toyo TR1 195/45s. This should cut 8lb per corner unsprung mass and reduce the diameter by around 4% from stock. I hope this will make it even more nimble and give it a bit more acceleration.

Is there anything I should know? My hope is this will be a reliable A to B car for the next 6-7 years and I wont have to do much work to it after its out of warranty.

13335613_10206440983199361_1305072562005

13343016_10206440982839352_3094372792927

13418930_10206440989959530_2983387753146

13412859_10206440989119509_1148595005113

Congrats! I just took delivery of a 2016 2LT, and I wouldn't have bought the top end model if not for the 20% off incentive and having $1750 in GM Card earnings. Good on you for making an already well priced car an even better deal!

It's surprising how much I enjoy driving the little thing. I came from a first gen Kia Soul, which I bought used and drove from 40k to 95k with not a single maintenance issue - it was my first Kia and I was surprised with the reliability. That being said, despite an engine with 140hp, you could easily feel the difference on the highway going 80mph versus going 55-60. I find myself going 80 in the Spark where I would have thought my Soul was putting along at 55. I'm much more excited to make my commute to work along 408 and I4 everyday :)

Standard Apple Carplay had me looking into the Spark, the highway compliance made me feel much more confident about buying such a small car when I test drove, and the incentives were the kicker that got me to sign the bill of sale.

Again, congrats on yours - I'm in Orlando, so maybe I'll see you around the next time I go to the beach!

• 1 month later...

I agree with that. We just took it on its first road trip. 39mpg through Tampa rushhour traffic and FL thunderstorms to NoFla. 32mpg on the way back with me TRYING to get terrible mpg. This thing feels great at 90mph, I dont go over that on public highways. 

We also took it to its first autocross

Not a bad handler, when it lets go it's nice and neutral. 

Looks like you had a good time! How do you think the CVT did during your autocross outing? I have the 5 speed manual and I will be taking it autocrossing once I am done breaking in the engine. My one grind about the manual is that the pedals aren't very heel-toe friendly. Glad you had fun!

-Oscar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Absolutely loving the fact that people race these things. Fantastic. Since the 98 hp is WAAAAAY under what the block is capable of I'd love to see how long they'll last racing. They use the same engine (with a turbo) in the Cruze, sonic, and Buick Encore all of which are significantly heavier. I'd like to see how people do in their classes racing since under 100hp and only 2200 lbs makes it a weak class.