rear bumper lower trim insert removal?

Has any one taken the the trim inset piece off the rear bumper? that little lower gray/black thing with the reflectors on it? or the whole rear bumper or both? which is easier to do. I have an LT2 and need to access the end of the tail pipe in that hole.

thanks

side note: removing the exhaust resonator and the replacing the muffler with a high flow one both make it slower and together add up to a lot plus lost mpg.. but sounds freaking awesome!! trying to figure out a away to add some back pressure back into the exhaust system with out paying to put the stock stuff back on and making it quiet again. going to try a reducers on the end of the pipe first. any cheap do it your self ideas are appreciated.

Ah yes..the primary exhaust resonator is more than just there for sound and show..there is a little spring loaded flap on the internal tubing that controls the back-pressure at different speeds/rpms by opening or closing as required to keep the bk-pressure even or to spec..not a big deal, but as you say, less power richer burn..I've heard some good things about some 3rd party performance units for small engines..various manufactures and bk-pressure specs..talk to yer mechanic or some web research should get you going..but you gots to have some bk-pressure on these units or your burn will be too rich - out of sensor range - producing more carbon crap.

Ya Skids..these things happen and going back can be a pain..but I really recommend you get that primary muffler back on , then take it from there..giving you a wider selection of swell sounding add on units without having to take back pressure into consideration since it is to spec with the primary in place....gotta research that crap more before the hack saw comes out...Right? BTW: saw a neat little end unit..very compact and probably sounds deep by design..forget the name..something like dynaflo or magna flo...very small.

• 2 weeks later...

well the end unit on these is the muffler and how the lt2 is pipe sticks right out of/in the bumper no space for ricer muffler add ons. anyway got a reducer and screwed it in there 2" to 1.5" and though it did lower the exhaust volume greatly it's faster than it's ever been and throttle response is better than ever too no more spooling when you floor it when the light turns green like before it actually starts moving its ass. still not flying and winning any races but very happy with performance improvement theres still some exhaust volume and sounds very throaty when you get on it. not sure about the mpg going back up yet I rarely drive these days and when i do I'm having to much driving it fast. (staying at around 26 mpg these days when i was daily commuting id get 33, possible the cvt reprogramming may have affected some of this??) I'm going to pick up a 2" - 1.75" reducer today just to compare. It's pretty interesting what an amazing increase in performance this has created. I'm curious to see and looking for some to give it a shot putting a reducer on a stock exhaust just to see what it might do.

so picked up a 2"-1.75" reducer. got my loud exhaust back.. granted not as loud as the 2" but still good sounds great throaty and aggressive. and still quick not as fast off the line at 1.5" but better acceleration when going over 40 compared to the 1.5" good times