I wouldn't at all be surprised if there were differences between the radios in different models, if the radio doesn't even have the option to fade in it, then it is very likely that it does not have the internal requirements to drive any more speakers... base models are all about getting the car fro as cheap as possible, and if Chevy can save even just a few dollars by being able to put a cheaper amplifier inside the radio, they are surely going to do it as when your are talking about shipping as many cars (often world wide) as a company as large as GM is, a couple of dollars here and a couple of dollars there can really add up quickly.

I agree Gearhead, if there were no speakers in the rear door from the factory, I probably would not go through the trouble of adding any unless I was trying to build a really great audio system, but if that was the case, I would probably be starting with a different car.

the problem I would have with them sounding "OK" is that I spend a lot of time in my car and since enjoying good music can make hours in the car fly by, just OK would never cut it for me. it has to sound great. and often since a lot of OEM system are pretty lacking in the sound quality department especially for how much even the upgraded systems cost, I would just rather start with a more basic system since I know I will just be pulling it out anyways.

your money would be best spent on really great speakers for the front of the car and (in my opinion) a subwoofer... adding rear door speakers would only be beneficial if you always had passengers riding back there

You guys seem to know a lot more about this than I do, so I have a few questions.

Doesn't the 2016 LS come with the MyLink radio now?

Since it does (I just checked Chevy's site), wouldn't the radio have the same outputs for front & rear speakers that it has in the LT1 & 2, since I doubt they made 2 different MyLink radios?

So even if the wiring isn't already there, wouldn't it be a simple matter of adding the rear speakers and running the wires to the radio?

Might there be a software upgrade needed if the OP's radio doesn't show a front and rear fader control, or would it perhaps come on (or the option to turn it on) appear once rear speakers are attached or detected?

Since I am still on the fence as to whether or not to get a 2016, I'm interested in how this works out.

From what I gather, the MyLink is just a 'graphical user interface' (GUI) and controls various things connected to it..it is not a radio..just controls it. How does a techno ignorant person like me know this? Well, my boat has a similar screen on the bridge area that controls whatever the techie guy hooks up to it and then programs it from a laptop..lighting, servo motors, safety stuff, alarms all kinds of minor low voltage stuff..not major stuff like engine, blowers, A/C etc..so that is what I think the mylink is..just a interface that has been programmed to recognize the things it controls...Not a fact..just my thoughts on that... I didn't really want it on the boat..but my boat tech guy says there just is no enough room to get access to all the switches it replaces when seated while driving the boat..if it fails..no big deal because I am a huge believer in redundancy and everything it controls has mechanical switches elsewhere on the boat. The screen is connected to some box type things where the actual components are connected to and one is where the programming is done.

I'm pretty sure my that the Mylink setup (on the 2013 - 2015 at least) is the radio.

It does have a GUI that controls other things linked to it, but it is the radio.

If you look on eBay you can find them and see that the screen is a part of the radio itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-15-Chevrolet-Sonic-Spark-Mylink-Touch-Screen-Audio-Radio-95144118-/281992787994?hash=item41a814781a:g:RyMAAOSwh-1W4IqW&vxp=mtr

Mylink is the/a name of Chevy's interface, just like CUE is for Cadillac, in this case, it is the interface to the radio. however, just because it has the same name, doesn't mean there their isn't multiple versions of the hardware for different version. also the beauty of a CAN bus in new cars is that one system can control other systems that are on the same bus.

the easiest way to know for sure would be to remove the radio, and check out the harness on the back, you would be able to see if it had the wiring in the harness going out to the car, you would also be able to look at the connector on the radio itself and see if there is any pins where the rear speakers should be or if there are empty.

you will skip the spark as an option because the most basic model offered does not have rear speakers, even though you are also contemplating a slightly larger fully loaded car? I mean I get that if you want something different for your next car is cool, but seems odd that its basic offering being too basic would be something worth noting.

I said "this is ANOTHER reason"

the main reason is simply i dont like the new look of the spark. It completely looks like chevy tried ripping off the fiesta instead of having keeping the old sleek design

I spoke to the dealer today. I was getting my after market cruise control put in - I drive a lot. I asked if I put speakers in, could get the controls to 'fade to back' setup too. He said "no". He said there may be an update sometime on the software, but as of now, I could add them but have no control over them (separate from the front anyway). I want to be able to fade to the back so my daughter can listen to audio books and I don't have to (as loud) if I don't want to. As of now, she complains she can't hear because the spoken word does not carry to the back well. Oh well. I'll write gm and ask for that in the software update but I'm only one voice. Maybe if a lot of people ask for it. 😀 Till now my dealer said they would put after market stuff in for me at their service department so it shouldn't mess with the warranty if they do it. I'll keep following but good luck everyone!

Edited by Jessi

I spoke to the dealer today. I was getting my after market cruise control put in - I drive a lot. I asked if I put speakers in, could get the controls to 'fade to back' setup too. He said "no". He said there may be an update sometime on the software, but as of now, I could add them but have no control over them (separate from the front anyway). I want to be able to fade to the back so my daughter can listen to audio books and I don't have to (as loud) if I don't want to. As of now, she complains she can't hear because the spoken word does not carry to the back well. Oh well. I'll write gm and ask for that in the software update but I'm only one voice. Maybe if a lot of people ask for it. Till now my dealer said they would put after market stuff in for me at their service department so it shouldn't mess with the warranty if they do it. I'll keep following but good luck everyone!

How was it getting aftermarket cruise control installed? Thinking of doing that as I do lots of highway. In a manual LS

It works great! I did it at the dealership but they took it off cite to a local car shop that does stuff like this. But I went through the dealer! The aftermarket control knob doesn't match the other knobs and that bugs me but not enough to say "undo it". I'll add a pic when I figure out how. It was put in on the left side of the stealing column just below the control shaft that has the menus buttons on it. (I hope that makes since). I was worried my knee would hit it but it doesn't and I'm tall. So totally worth it for the amount of driving I do.

I will assume that the wiring is not present at the rear door. My malibu 1lt has the regular mylink with the 4 speakers. It came with holes for 6x9's on the rear deck, but no wiring, also no speakers. The 6x9s on that car are available with the upgrade to a pioneer audo system, but all the cars without the upgraded stereo dont have the wiring.

I would not expect gm to spend the extra few bucks to run wiring in a car that is made to be as cheap as possible if the trim level does not offer the extra 2 speakers as an option.

Edited by Mr.tozzi
  • 4 months later...

The my link does come standard with the LS model. They are not wired for the back you would have to use an amp and have someone wire those speakers. I've already tired different solutions I just went with the kenwood sub that slides under the seat and 2 front kickers with little modification other than an adapter for rca. 

In the earlier comments someone mentioned that he or she will sta7 away from the newer models yeah you should lol. I have a 16' Spark I really like the previous gen sparks with the interior color and huge door and center cup holders cargo space and the interior seat color options. And the accessible speakers on top of the dash and rear. I weighed that option also to put rear speakers but decided to just eventually install 2 Kicker speakers with a small amp and a kenwood powered sub under the seat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right I found that out a couple weeks after I purchased the car. I was bending down to get something and I heard nothing in the back I'm like huh then I'm like oh the 2 tweeters are considered 4 speakers I'm going to replace those for after market tweeters I now have some kickers for the door and a powered sub. I looked after at the previous gen sparks I'm like wth I really like the huge door cup holders spaced out center cup holders and in dash speakers cool space maximizing ideas. 

Edited by Erik Gonzalez
Correct words
  • 2 months later...

The LS has no wiring for rear speakers and no software to update for rear speakers. It will not make the rear speaker adjustment work on the radio by hooking up rear speakers. I ended up putting front and rear Alpine speakers including tweeters and a small power amp to run the extra 2 speakers. Worth every penny just a pain to do. The radio is awesome that comes stock but the speakers are junk especially the tweeters. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

so i also have a Chevy spark LS 2016 and it doesn't have the two speakers in the back. so i'm thinking about adding the two speakers in the back also with a sub-woofer. i know i'm going to need a amp but i was wondering what channel amp do i need, to help all the speakers in my car (2 speakers in front plus the 2 twitters in front, 2 speakers in the back and 1 sub-woofer)... do i need a 4 channel amp for 5 channel amp?

3 hours ago, esco said:

so i also have a Chevy spark LS 2016 and it doesn't have the two speakers in the back. so i'm thinking about adding the two speakers in the back also with a sub-woofer. i know i'm going to need a amp but i was wondering what channel amp do i need, to help all the speakers in my car (2 speakers in front plus the 2 twitters in front, 2 speakers in the back and 1 sub-woofer)... do i need a 4 channel amp for 5 channel amp?

4 ch compact amp driving the speakers and a mono driving the subwoofer or a powered subwoofer to save room.