Free onstar basic for 3 years

Just to let everyone know I received an email for 3 years of basic onstar for free. Then when activating it in car they also gave me 3 months of full onstar. This email came from my dealers email too. Si I'm happy just to have the onstar app again for free to see oil life, tire pressures, gas, and lock/unlock.

Just to let everyone know I received an email for 3 years of basic onstar for free. Then when activating it in car they also gave me 3 months of full onstar. This email came from my dealers email too. Si I'm happy just to have the onstar app again for free to see oil life, tire pressures, gas, and lock/unlock.

I got the free offer a few weeks ago. I'm about three weeks into the full service, then after that it reverts back to basic, which consists of the monthly scan report, and they also notify your dealer when you are due for scheduled maintenance. For me, the only useful part is the app, that I believe will remain active. Being I have a scangauge plugged full time into my OBD port, they can't scan my car, to email my report. So for me, it is useless. But hey, the price is right. ;)

When I bought my spark I too had the full version for 3 months.

This is a full for 3 months again then the basic. This is what my email and accounts says:

The OnStar Basic Plan is available for up to 5 years from the original delivery date on new, eligible 2014 model year and newer vehicles and is transferable; and for three years for new subscribers of eligible 2011 model year or newer, OnStar-equipped, inactive vehicles. Basic Plan includes Advanced Diagnosticsc, Dealer Maintenance Notification, and access to RemoteLink mobile app features. Basic Plan does not include emergency, security, or Turn-by-Turn Navigation, which require a paid subscription plan.

I did see this for 2014 models:

For 2014 model year vehicles, Basic Plan may be called RemoteLink Key Fob Services in some instance.

So from my email I should retain the use of these items.

My email reads the same as yours, down in the fine print, but up in the body of the message, the part that pertains to the remote app states,

The RemoteLink®2 mobile app 20151215_ONSM228_00.gif

"Remotely start your vehicle and lock and unlock your doors with just a tap of your smartphone."

Nothing in the body of the message regarding full features, as for now I have full access on the mobile app, but will it still be there when this offer reverts back to basic? I hope so, but if not, I had Onstar for a year beyond the trial period, and outside of the app, I never used it, so if they pull it, so be it.

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2016 at 3:01 PM, bluer101 said:

All I care about is key fob, fuel, tire pressure, and oil life.

Fuel, tire pressure & oil life are built in functionality in my 2017 Spark.

I do not think On-Star has anything to do with it.  

I bought a gadget for less than $20 on eBay. It analyzes and displays every

error code, and allows me to zero out any error code. I bought that gadget

because on my 2007 Pontiac G5, the engine light came on. The gadget told

me exactly why the check engine light was on. The car had misfire in cylinder #1.

The gadget is Can OBDII/EOBII Memo Scanner.

Our other car, a 2011 HHR displays tire pressures, oil life, fuel, and many other

data numbers.  We have never paid a dime to On-Star.

As for reminding oil changes, my rule is to get it done every 5000 miles.

That is sooner than recommended, but oil change is good insurance for

longevity of the engine. GM would prefer my car wears out on their schedule!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, when OnStar membership is active, such as during the first 3 months, 

I can see the tire pressures, fuel remaining, oil life on my smart phone from anywhere,

even when I am laying in bed watching a scary movie haha. But when OnStar expires

without paid renewal, I can still get those readings directly in the car using built in system.