Roof rack vs. Hitch & Cargo tray?

I'm not a very knowledgeable person when it comes to vehicles, customizing, maintaining, whatever. I can do some things, and figure most things out. But I lack the experience needed to have a "common sense" answer, which is why I am here. This is probably going to end up very long. I apologize in advance!

So I'm driving ~15 hours to Florida in roughly six months. For the first time, I'll have 2 adults, 2 small children; instead of just myself. It's highly unlikely that we can fit luggage for four humans in the "trunk" of the spark, right? So, my question is: Do I invest in a roof rack? Do I get a curt hitch installed, for a cargo tray and a waterproof cargo bag to put the stuff in? Or should I rent a "family" car?

First came the car rental. I got it down to around $280, I think. Plus gas, which of course won't be near what I'm used to, and it's not permanent. I'd like to avoid that if I can. Plus, I know my car is comfortable! But, I'm open to all options.

Next: Roof rack. It's the most expensive, as I have a "naked" roof and would need everything. I think the rack alone is around $280+. I saw the posts on here about the Rhino-Rack, and it looks good, too. Then I would need a cargo bag or something of the sort. It's permanent, I can use it for other things, like hauling my bicycle. Then I read about the wind noise, and a decrease in mpg (obviously).

Finally, the hitch & cargo tray. I could get everything needed, for about the price of just the roof rack. ~$300 It wouldn't be a drag on MPG like the roof rack (I don't think?). Also permanent, I could carry four bicycles with it. Makes more sense in my eyes.

The only thing I'm carrying is luggage. Which is the better option? I was dead set to get the hitch setup, but am wondering if that's too much weight for the rear of the vehicle? Is it better to have it centered on the top of the vehicle? Would the overall weight be too much for the Spark for that long? Or should I pack it as tight as possible in the trunk, and not add any extra weight?

It seems like when traveling, every other car you see, is packed to the ceiling with luggage, the windows are blocked and the rear wheels are /---\ like that from the weight. I don't want that. If it would do more harm than good for any of the options, I'd rather rent a vehicle.
Hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction before my head explodes. :sos::thumbsup:

Next: Roof rack. It's the most expensive, as I have a "naked" roof and would need everything. I think the rack alone is around $280+. I saw the posts on here about the Rhino-Rack, and it looks good, too. Then I would need a cargo bag or something of the sort. It's permanent, I can use it for other things, like hauling my bicycle. Then I read about the wind noise, and a decrease in mpg (obviously).

Decisions, decisions, I'm afraid I can't be of much help, outside of the fact that I have a 2LT with a full roof rack, crossbars on the factory roof rails, I installed them about 6 months after buying the car, when I couldn't bring home two furring strips from Home Depot. The only drawback was a light whistling noise, at around 70 mph. I purchased a fairing, and that solved that problem. I didn't notice any decrease in mpg's. The recommended load on them is 150 lbs. As far as price, I put together a decent setup for under $100 on ebay, $50 for the crossbars, and $40 for the fairing, and they still look as good as the day I put them on. I realize that you need the whole ball of wax, but if you shop around, there are always deals somewhere. Just a little info on the roof management, I'm sure some others will jump in with some info.

• 6 months later...