Does removing the exhaust resonator cause problems?

Love the spark just wish I can make it a tad louder. I want a muffler that will keep the back pressure whilst making some noise. Currently getting 41mpg here in Illinois. Temps are around 20°. The dealership said it won't void the warranty. Should I remove just the muffler and replace it with a cherry bomb turbo?

Love the spark just wish I can make it a tad louder. I want a muffler that will keep the back pressure whilst making some noise. Currently getting 41mpg here in Illinois. Temps are around 20°. The dealership said it won't void the warranty. Should I remove just the muffler and replace it with a cherry bomb turbo?

The stock muffler has a baffle plate hatch in the internal tubing that is closed at lower RPM's & opens at higher RPM's to keep even back pressure at all RPM's. If you want a louder/deeper engine sound in the cabin, remove the resonator box..there is a thread or two on how to do this on the forum...makes very little change in performance, mostly very slightly more gas consumption due to more direct air stream past the MAS (mass airflow sensor) and the sensor will compensate with a timing or fuel delivery change. No big deal. The direct flow muffler will give you a louder sound but due to the small, high compression engine and high RPM's it may sound more high frequency rather than a deeper sound you hear from larger engines. As far as back pressure, you will have less at most RPM's and this is not a big deal as sensors will compensate with timing and VVT adjustments. As far as performance, you won't find much of a change, if any. I would go with a small Cherry Bomb Extreme with 2 exit ports for a deeper sound where the staight thru will give you a loud high frequency small engine sound...get a second opinion from your mechanic or parts shop.."Nuff said on that..

i put a flow master on and left the resonator and its sounds deep and purs not fart muffle rice burner crap .. sounds great and seems like theres added back pressure versus stock. not too loud at idle or low rpms but at 2.5k and higher it gets to growling. its pretty loud inside that phone convos while driving are near impossible.. prefomance increase none

I agree with Skids...Flowmaster systems always sound great with the kit designed for your car and will keep correct back pressure for the model. More expensive as most are cat back systems but well designed for the specific model..Cherry Bomb produces mostly just mufflers and are a bit less pricy, but hit and miss for the sound you are looking for.

I kept both resonators and just removed the muffler. Used a 1.5" diameter piece of pipe in its place and got an adapter with a 1.5" to 1.75" adaptor, then a 1.75" to 2.25" adaptor to an "upswept " tip to clear the bumper. Hung it with a universal exhaust hanger to car's factory rubber hanger. Nice growl to exhaust tone. Not loud and raspy. Car has no problems getting to 80mph when floored. (In addition, I have drop-in K&N with 2" holes in lower part of factory air box.) Seems to pull a little harder at high RPM's.

Car has no problems getting to 80mph when floored. (In addition, I have drop-in K&N with 2" holes in lower part of factory air box.) Seems to pull a little harder at high RPM's.

Well, there you go. Car should easily reach 100mph+ when floored. I've had mine up to 107mph when floored and even did a 25mi cruise at 104mph without any issues. Car will use only as much air as it is able to draw in, no matter what intake system you may have. The only thing you can do is reduce the intake resistance with a 'hi-flo' filter..and this makes no difference because the small engine does not need much air.. holes in the airbox bottom will actually put a resistance to air intake since it is the opposite side of the intended intake direction. Just my 2¢ worth on that little mod.

Well I ended of having a shop install a thrush turbo. Smallest size all auto parts stores had were 2inch. Muffler shop made it work. So far it's still quiet as stock but around 2k-3k it has more drone inside but not bad at all. Left the resonator on. Seems like when I left off the gas pedal it holds the speed and slowly decelerating before with the stock muffler on it would decelerate quickly. Honestly the muffler is still too quiet for me but I'm keeping it on. The muffler has 2 resonated chambers.

As long as you don't have any popping or loud crackling from exhaust when you're off the gas pedal from a high RPM. This could instantly burn piston ring(s) or burn/suck a valve down the road...but I doubt you do because I have my muffler removed and I don't- but I do see you have a manual transmission...

Well I ended of having a shop install a thrush turbo. Smallest size all auto parts stores had were 2inch. Muffler shop made it work. So far it's still quiet as stock but around 2k-3k it has more drone inside but not bad at all. Left the resonator on. Seems like when I left off the gas pedal it holds the speed and slowly decelerating before with the stock muffler on it would decelerate quickly. Honestly the muffler is still too quiet for me but I'm keeping it on. The muffler has 2 resonated chambers.

Because it has 2 chambers and 2 ports you should be just fine for back pressure. As Slimer said..he has a no muffler straight thru and no issues..but he is correct about the loud crackling/popping noses that can cause issues if present, but that usually occurs when people remove the cat...Honestly, I don't think you will have a single issue and the xtra coasting when off the gas is not something to be concerned about.