Hello Everyone
so while stopped on the highway a guy in a work van behind me decided to attempt to drive through me. 2014 spark is totaled (bought it march 2015 so ouch). I can vouch for the air bags, although totaled the car held up well. Im gonna miss her. (pictures attached.)

so last night i bought myself a 2016 LS (the only spark in a 20 mile radius of me). Payment is 30 bucks cheaper a month which is nice. Only problem is it came with manual windows and door locks. Windows i can deal with but them door locks are driving me nuts already.

So my question oh fellow lovers of the spark....What should i know before shopping around for keyless entry/alarm systems for the 2016 spark? Are there certain models of alarm that wont work? anyone have any recommendations? how much should i expect to pay for installation. Im sorry i didnt search.

Thanks A bunch.

post-2321-0-73162400-1453381710_thumb.jp

post-2321-0-08976100-1453381715_thumb.jp

Sorry to see you got smashed up pretty good. Glad you both walked away. That was a good car, better IMO than the '16LS..There are some topical threads around here about remotes and keyless stuff and as I always say..anything is possible at the right price...so check that out and let us know how you like the new model compared to what you had...K? BTW:..Ins Co. treat you OK? Only reason I ask is that sometimes you got to arm wrestle a bit with them to get what you think you contracted for.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Sorry to see you got smashed up pretty good. Glad you both walked away. That was a good car, better IMO than the '16LS..There are some topical threads around here about remotes and keyless stuff and as I always say..anything is possible at the right price...so check that out and let us know how you like the new model compared to what you had...K? BTW:..Ins Co. treat you OK? Only reason I ask is that sometimes you got to arm wrestle a bit with them to get what you think you contracted for.

Thank You. Ive only had the 16ls for less than 24 hours now but i can already tell i like it more. Honestly the only thing i miss is the keyless entry. While i did enjoy plasti-dipping the rims on the 141lt, im not all that bothered by the hub caps. I love the extra horsepower and quieter ride. i can actually feel the difference and im not really a "car guy" The new mylink compared to the 14 is at least 5 times better. The sound isnt even a contest. I was able to get my speaker box out of the old one, but i dont even know if i need it. The rearview camera, physical radio buttons, new dashboard, and the body design out weigh the power windows IMO.

i have Erie Insurance. Its a local PA company. I have nothing but good things to say about them. I actually totaled my car previous to the 14 spark (my fault hit a boulder swerving to avoid a dog) and had a check in hand within 2 weeks ( fair value was more then i owed). This time (not my fault) the value they quoted was more than the MSRP of the 16 that i bought (luckily i had gap insurance as well). My lawyer is handling all of the medical aspects so im not sure how thats going but like i said nothing but good things (after the accident that was my fault my insurance only went up about 11 bucks)

i found this on best buys website http://www.bestbuy.com/site/avital-3100l-1500-ft-security-system-for-select-vehicles-geek-squad-installation/9999173000050046.p?id=pcmprd172700050046&skuId=9999173000050046

Im sure there is more i would have to pay but 150 installed before extra parts seems good right? EDIT: i just realized i can use the onstar keyfob app if that makes a difference.

TL:DR I like the new spark better, Erie insurance is good, how much more would i have to spend if i purchased the above?

Edited by Thomas Taco Schulz
  • 5 weeks later...

If you need to lock and unlick with a fob you need to get a keyless entry system(alarm) and a kit with the door actuators to pull the locking rod for all the doors.

If you dont need a fob, then all you need is the actuators, lock/unlock one door and all of them will lock/unlock at same time

I had this one http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220PRPDL45/Audiovox-PRO-PDL-45.htmlin my chevy cobalt ls. It works with a alarm system as it has the signal wires for that.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the onstar app but it only lock/unlocks my driver side door. I'd like to know if it CAN control the other doors too. The locks are technically manual but since the app on my phone can control them they are clearly hooked up to something electrical already. I'd like to know if it is just the driver door or all the doors. Again, they all have some electrical elements because when I take off they lock. How much are they programmed to do? can I get a fob? Can I use the app for all of them?

I'm not at all that good with electrical/electonic stuff, but the following answer is based on my observations when I programmed the MyLink on my '13-1LT. I was able to follow the manual given instructions to lock/unlock only drivers door or all four as well as a delay for locks to close or for drivers door to remain unlocked until I locked it with remote..this prevents us old guys from repeatedly locking ourselves out with the key in the ignition..some of my my previous cars did not have this and the roadside assistance dispatcher got to know me on a first name bases..so you may want to look into that programming thing that should be easy to understand in your owners manual..not sure how that works with the standard radio configuration..I could look it up for you but I will leave that to you younger ppl who can figure that stuff out much better. On my Rover I had to get the dealer to configure ALL the options from the screen interface since there are options for just about everything you can think of and my thought on that unfamiliar stuff was that if you pay a lot of money for a luxury car..well the dealer should help me out with that..and they did ask me what I wanted and punched it in for every option...Sorry for the ramble but that is my way to try and give a broader perspective..and hope it kinda points you in the right direction....OK...'Nuff said on that......

So, onthe vehicle settings screen I do not have door options. In fact I only have two options, one for my rear camera and one for the lighting. So, I guess I can't control them. 😢 It is a 2016 Spark LT manual transmission. If anyone know how to make the doors 'automatic' I'd love to hear it. Until then, I think I will just have to remind my daughter every day to lock her door. I guess that's what my parents did and it worked for them 😃

Yup, that's what we did before they invented electric door locks...I guess the other 3 locks are not programmed into the MyLink or not connected to it..just remind her to never leave the car with the keys in it and see if you can get a cheap roadside assistance..but I think GM gives her 5 yrs of that..I get a $4 a month on my cell plan and I hear it is faster service than the GM 1-800 # that should be programmed into her phone.. Don't want her stuck in the middle of a Nebraska winter..

Lol yea, I'm the driver - she is 5yrs old. Independent enough to 'get out her side- herself!' I'm always with her when we are around the car but I have to remind her to lock her door each time. My old car had power locks so she would get out and go. Now I find myself calling her back to lock doors. Not really a big deal; it teaches her some responsibility. 😀 I have all the road side stuff for me- I am likely to lock myself out just as much as her lol. Thanks for the advice.

LOL indeed..I thought you got the car for your daughter. I think there might be a setting on your MyLink to not lock the drivers door without the remote when you exit the car..Lock out prevention. This is probably one of my favorite features on both cars since in the past on older cars I would lock myself out all the time and have to wait 20 min. for roadside assistance to open it up for me. One time I was halfway to Key West with my niece who was about 14 at the time and not all the kids had cell phones back then. I left the keys and cell in the car and locked it..we had to flag down a car to use the cell the driver had...but I had did not know the # as it was on my phone..we ended up calling my ISP (3 digit * #) to connect us..now I always carry my cell with me and have never been locked out since 2013..with this new system it is impossible for us old guys to get locked out.

Getting locked out sucks, good news is I'm attached to my phone and my onstar app acts as a remote key to unlock the driver door (only). I have the LS manual (so no frills) I can't control the other doors at all. The MyLink controls to change what doors lock is not available on my car 😕 It is on the LT versions, so I've heard.