2014 15 Spark Transmission Pully Belt Damage Recall

I just dropped off my 2014 Spark for the 15k mile service and was told this recall went live 1-9-2016.

I can't find any information online about it.

Since I see a lot of people on here have had transmission issues, I thought everyone would like to know.

Will update if my vehicle has the belt damage.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is a recall on the transmission I was told today I guess mine didn't need anything done other than a reprogramming of it done 15000 miles on mine not really happy with the transmission at all st

Your Husband is correct! You need to insist on 5W20 oil..that is the recommended oil for the Spark because of the small engine and small diameter oil transport system both inside and outside the engin

I'm not familiar with this, I've got the '13 auto, with the gearbox, but as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If it is running great, it doesn't need to be fooled with. Just my

Posted Images

There is a recall on the transmission I was told today I guess mine didn't need anything done other than a reprogramming of it done 15000 miles on mine not really happy with the transmission at all still won't start out in the lowest gear unless you stop completely and take your foot off the brake and let the car roll forward then it starts out in the lowest gear . If you don't stop completely and take off it sluggishly starts moving then it revs to its lowest gear and keeps revving . I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be driving this thing

Apparently this issue first presents as a sort of shuddering and a 'whining' sound as the transmission fluid heats up. Not uncommon to need belt replacements in some models at 50Kmi..some just last forever. Apparently the fluid in the tranny gets much hotter than a regular auto tranny. Since it is part of the driveline, the 5yr-100Kmi warranty applies. That being said the only issue you could face is the inconvenience of a warranty issue job.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped my 2015 Spark LS on 02/12/2016. Recall was for 20710: Driver Quality Degradation and/or Transmission Harsh Shift but not for the 2014-15 CHEVY SPARK TRANS PULLEY/BELT DAMAGE not like what it say on the My Chevy Owner Site.

I just got a note yesterday for my 2015 Spark yesterday and it mentioned the belt and pulleys being damaged and they would re-program the transmission control module. Never said anything about this being a note being a recall. A post by Angrybird said they done their trans and it made a big difference

!!! I noticed on your thumbnails pic ( work order) you also had a oil change. The first thing I noticed was how many quarts of oil they put in your car. It only takes 4 quarts. They did this to my car and my husband caught it, it was way over on the stick and I brought the car back to the dealer, no problem and they will add on a free oil change.

I just got a note yesterday for my 2015 Spark yesterday and it mentioned the belt and pulleys being damaged and they would re-program the transmission control module. Never said anything about this being a note being a recall. A post by Angrybird said they done their trans and it made a big difference

!!! I noticed on your thumbnails pic ( work order) you also had a oil change. The first thing I noticed was how many quarts of oil they put in your car. It only takes 4 quarts. They did this to my car and my husband caught it, it was way over on the stick and I brought the car back to the dealer, no problem and they will add on a free oil change.

Work order shows correct part # for oil filter but indicates 5qt used..that is one qt to much..half a quart over is the max before you run into foaming due to the crank whipping up the excess oil level..Half a quart over shows as about 1/4 inch over the hatched area on the stick and is fine..anything more and you gonna run into issues. Also he should get both CVT recalls done on for the programming and the other for the belts.

Looks like they used 0w-20 oil . A lot of dealers including mine did away with 5w-20 and only use 5w-30 now . When mine was overfilled the oil level was probably an inch over the full line , I caught it right away though . That was with 5 quarts listed on the bill . Or they may have put a little more than 4 quarts in and charged for the full 5 quarts . It will be obvious when you pull the dipstick .

bro

Work order shows correct part # for oil filter but indicates 5qt used..that is one qt to much..half a quart over is the max before you run into foaming due to the crank whipping up the excess oil level..Half a quart over shows as about 1/4 inch over the hatched area on the stick and is fine..anything more and you gonna run into issues. Also he should get both CVT recalls done on for the programming and the other for the belts.

Brought my car in yesterday and had the trans re-programmed.It seems to operate alot better. I'll know better after I drive it awhile to work. Now here's the good part, I also had my oil changed also. I get home and my husband is looking at the work order and starts laughing, he tells me they over filled the oil again and not only that, they put in 5-30 oil. He tells me I need to have the problem corrected. I read in another post under yours(sparkfanatic) that they did away with the oil and use a heavier oil. My husband says they need to put the oil the car calls for. No way he says they can just change the grade of oil my car use's. He also stated that these cars had issues with the oil when they first came out.

Brought my car in yesterday and had the trans re-programmed.It seems to operate alot better. I'll know better after I drive it awhile to work. Now here's the good part, I also had my oil changed also. I get home and my husband is looking at the work order and starts laughing, he tells me they over filled the oil again and not only that, they put in 5-30 oil. He tells me I need to have the problem corrected. I read in another post under yours(sparkfanatic) that they did away with the oil and use a heavier oil. My husband says they need to put the oil the car calls for. No way he says they can just change the grade of oil my car use's. He also stated that these cars had issues with the oil when they first came out.

Your Husband is correct! You need to insist on 5W20 oil..that is the recommended oil for the Spark because of the small engine and small diameter oil transport system both inside and outside the engine. Synthetic is best but conventional is OK as well...no more than 1/4 inch over on the dipstick.

got a letter in the mail yesterday for this. talks about reprogramming and not actually replacing anything. Is this reprogramming the same reprogramming as most of us have already done last year or another/different program? My spark is driving great. Talks about so it doesnt shift hard or the rpms don't go too high or some thing?? (I forgot already) so it doesn't damage anything. my lil guy is driving great if it's the same programming cool, but if different I'm worried they'll tune it down and make it slower.. any body done last years reprogram and now this one? whats the effect on the drive?

got a letter in the mail yesterday for this. talks about reprogramming and not actually replacing anything. Is this reprogramming the same reprogramming as most of us have already done last year or another/different program? My spark is driving great. Talks about so it doesnt shift hard or the rpms don't go too high or some thing?? (I forgot already) so it doesn't damage anything. my lil guy is driving great if it's the same programming cool, but if different I'm worried they'll tune it down and make it slower.. any body done last years reprogram and now this one? whats the effect on the drive?

I'm not familiar with this, I've got the '13 auto, with the gearbox, but as the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If it is running great, it doesn't need to be fooled with. Just my .02.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2014 Spark LT1 with 8000 miles, shifted absolutely perfect until they did this Recall now my car starts off in 2nd gear and then drops back in the first every time I take off. Calling the dealer tomorrow to have them undue this recall. I am seriously starting to hate this spark because of all the issues I've had with it already with wheel bearing noise and whistling coming from the roof

Ya that seems to be where the most CVT complaints are..the start off in second and it not dropping to first on a full stop. The re-program was supposed to fix that making sure it dropped to first just before a stop. As far as the wheel bearings are concerned...8Kmi is definitely a problem with assembly or defective part...this was an issue on some 2013 sparks but showed up after about 40Kmi..still too early but apparently not under the warranty...at 8Kmi you can argue that this is way too early and see if they will replace them as the cost for a bearing/hub job is about $300 per wheel on these units. Good bearings should last a minimum of 100Kmi. While shopping for another car last year, my mechanic said to stay away from any model with a CVT matched to a small engine. He knows his stuff and has seen it all since opening in '84.

What happened is that they did fix the issue of it not dropping to first with a software update. That update introduced a new issue. They trans is just a tad slow to drop to first at times but will shift and will bind causing a severe vibration which is the belt slipping in the CVT. I noticed it right after they did a reprogram to mine.

Somebody a while back had a brand new 2015 and was complaining about the same thing which meant they were using that software version in the new 2015's. That is why the 14 and 15's were recalled. I have not yet had the recall done as I was pretty sure it would take it back to the crappy way it was.