Extended Warranties, Decisions, Decisions

A lot of us are moving out of our three year bumper to bumper umbrellas. Now there are some educated decisions to be made, regarding how we are going to finance future problems. Granted, the power train coverage is good for another two years, or 100,000 miles. But a lot of these cars are loaded with gadgets that won't be covered, and can get pretty costly. A/C, Mylink, Cruise Control, TPMS, on and on, etc., etc. Sparkfanatic had the idea, that it would be helpful to have a thread here, where people could post problems they had, such as the nature of the problem, the mileage at which it occured, the severity, any pertinent information, as to what can be coming down the road. The purpose of this thread, is to help people decide if they feel they should invest in an extended warranty, or ride it out. This thread will be for reporting only, not for solving. Because this could fill fast. we can continue discussions, on the appropriate topics as always.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 12/15/2015 at 1:15 PM, sparkfanatic said:

35K miles , pedal position sensor failed . Car was put in reduced power mode ( 35 mph ) and required tow to dealer . Fixed under warranty . Part is $29 online and can be replaced in 10 minutes .

Hey, would the sensor cause the car's acceleration to be slow to respond? I've been having issues and wonder if this would fix it.

9 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

Did you get the CVT software recall/update done?..that may help.

I actually just got a callback from GM Customer Assistant after submitting a form asking if there was a buyback program since I still had issues with my vehicle. He told me that they performed the following recalls;

Noncompliance Recall    2017130 17130   Key Reminder Chime      04/27/2016      Closed
Customer Satisfaction Program   2020710 20710   2014-15 CHEVY SPARK TRANS PULLEY/BELT DAMAGE    01/12/2016      Closed
Product Safety Recall   A140456 14456   SECONDARY HOOD LATCH CORROSION  12/31/2014      Closed
Product Safety Recall   A140453 14453   LOWER CONTROL ARM BALL JOINT RETAINING BOLT LOOSE       07/18/2014      Closed

I don't remember any dealership telling me that they performed any recalls other than the hood latch and a software reprogram, but the software reprogram isn't even on the list.

Maybe someone who has a 2014 CVT can give you the # and name of that recall as I don't have that, but it does look as though it was not performed for some reason maybe that is something to look into since most users who had it done were happy with the improvement to the CVT operation..mostly in the first gear to second response as well as getting rid of the lag at stop between giving gas and first gear engaging to actually move the car quickly.

The software reprogram is there. Its the trans pulley/belt damage listing. The second one down. That was a reprogram to stop the pulley and belt from being damaged due to slippage. There have been three software packages for the trans. There was the original, then the second one helped with the not going into first and improved the shifting a lot but introduced a horrible vibration at times during takeoff. The vibration was the belt slipping on the pulley. So then they released the third software package that fixed the slippage problem. 

Edited by Ray Dockrey