What tools go in that foam insert in the trunk?

I just purchased a 2015 Chevy Spark "pre-owned" from a dealer in Iowa. It only had 8800 miles on it, and runs GREAT!

I was digging in the trunk today where a spare tire SHOULD be, and I noticed there is a cut-out in the Styrofoam for a special tool between the air compressor and the screwdriver. However, for the life of me, I can't figure out what is supposed to be there...

Was there actually a tool, or is this another GM "eventually we'll provide something for that space" idea?

Way to make me want something, even though I don't know what I want!

It's been quite a while, since I've even looked back there, but to the best of my recollection, there was the air compressor, a bottle of sealant, and the screwdriver. I do remember there being a blank cutout, I don't recall what was supposed to go in there, but I believe it was for the European models. It may have been a towing hook, maybe someone else will jump in here, with more of an answer, but I don't believe you are missing anything.

Congrats, on the Spark purchase, and welcome to the forum!

Like Walt said, it is a cutout for a towing loop that is threaded at one end and screws into the area under the cut-out removable panel on the front passenger side of the front bumper. Only for Euro models as that is required by law to have that available and is not included with the US models.

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2015 at 5:42 AM, Retired old Gearhead said:

Like Walt said, it is a cutout for a towing loop that is threaded at one end and screws into the area under the cut-out removable panel on the front passenger side of the front bumper. Only for Euro models as that is required by law to have that available and is not included with the US models.

Did I get a Euro model even though I bought the 2017 Spark from a dealer in Florida?

I do have a donut spare tire in the trunk area and found a towing loop there as well. If it screws

into the front bumper area, the owner's manual says the car should never be towed with front wheels on the road? Please comment if you read this.

7 hours ago, Bobby MSME said:

Did I get a Euro model even though I bought the 2017 Spark from a dealer in Florida?

I do have a donut spare tire in the trunk area and found a towing loop there as well. If it screws

into the front bumper area, the owner's manual says the car should never be towed with front wheels on the road? Please comment if you read this.

The loop is not for towing the car, it is for loading the car on a flat bed, or pulling it out of a ditch.

9 hours ago, Mr.tozzi said:

The loop is not for towing the car, it is for loading the car on a flat bed, or pulling it out of a ditch.

Thanks! That makes much more sense. The loop seems a bit over designed though, lol...it is 3/4" dia, with 1/2 inch dia at neck of thread end.  which could lift 7 tons force...and this Spark LS weighs only 2246 lbs = 1.123 tons. That loop is strong enough to pull a loaded Mack truck out of a deep ravine. Note that to tow a rolling body on wheels requires much smaller force than the weight of the body. 

Edited by Bobby MSME
typo
On 4/5/2017 at 6:12 AM, Mr.tozzi said:

I stand corrected..that does make a lot more sense. As for Bobby thinking he may have got a euro model..not very likely at all since USA has different specs with regard to lighting and side lighting turn indicators and a different door beam sticker with the DOT, etc compliance. Probably just a factory mistake where they loaded the wrong tray or forgot to remove the eye-bolt or maybe all 2017's have them as they could be handy for the above application.

15 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

I stand corrected..that does make a lot more sense. As for Bobby thinking he may have got a euro model..not very likely at all since USA has different specs with regard to lighting and side lighting turn indicators and a different door beam sticker with the DOT, etc compliance. Probably just a factory mistake where they loaded the wrong tray or forgot to remove the eye-bolt or maybe all 2017's have them as they could be handy for the above application.

Hey Gearhead, you post lots and lots of the really informative posts on this forum.

After driving this 2017 Spark LS with CVT, I am amazed how peppy this car is. She keeps on accelerating without that geared automatic's jerky drop off in acceleration upon shifting into progressively higher gears. Reading you like to drive the heck out of your Spark with that 1.2 liter engine, I am certain the newer CVT's with 1.4 liter engine will be a blast for you.