intake kills off the line acceleration, and just adding a free-er flowing muffler caused a loss in power. I bet headers would be a terrible idea. there's little tweaks you can do here and there to improve acceleration but major anything just hurts and is a waste of money. unless you want a really slow loud car of course...

Yup..This engine is pretty well maxed out as a 'naturally aspired engine' (no turbo) and borders on the high performance edge with the higher than common compression ratio, VVT 16 valves..not alot that can be done to boost power, but a few things can be done to improve performance over the long run. Quality, correct oil, clean air filter..I use a hi-flo 3rd party filter that gives me (a bit) better hi-speed passing acceleration, good brake adjustment..(car should roll in neutral on a very slight incline)..tire pressure slightly higher ..say 42lbs when cold...Can't adjust timing as it is automatically controlled variable, no valve lash adjustment ever needed and anyone using premium gas is just burning money since just because it is called 'Premium' does not mean it will give you premium results..just slower and less complete ignition and dirtier oil. That's about all I can think of to keep yer Spark running pretty darn good.