GM Welding Breakthrough Enables More Use of Aluminum

Aluminum is highly recycleable so it can be pretty cheap, cheaper to use recycled than new aluminum so it makes a lot of sense with cars. I expect the welding tips are several times the price of the tips for steel, and probably need to be replaced more often, but given time it should work out to be the same. The anodizing would be the hard part since it takes a certain length of time to build up the layer, so I hope they can find a way to deal with it. Cost of anodizing would not be that much more money than the zinc they used to dip cars in before painting. The navy anodizes everything on the aircraft to prevent corrosion, but we all know how much military aircraft cost.

I know this news article was concentrating on sheet metal work, but the manufacturers could already see major weight reduction by using aluminum for other parts that can be cast or forged, not sure why this isn't more popular for suspension parts, engine mounts, things like this.

Titanium too, not sure if it is cheaper than carbon fiber though. The aircraft industry is starting to consider gluing some structures together, if glue is good enough for an airplane, then glue could be used for things like the outside door skin. Aluminum for door skins, hood, hatch, etc. would save a lot of weight and still provide the steel safety cage that some people insist on having.