I'm having issues with the overflow tank leaking on a 2014 Chevy Spark. At first, I thought there was a small hole or crack in overflow tank. I noticed coolant on bonded edge of overflow tank and along bottom of tank where the rubber hose meets the tank. I have filled the overflow tank several times. on one of the times of filing tank, witnessed the coolant surging to the top of overflow tank right to the cap. The coolant pretty much came immediately back down. I removed cap and noticed the pressure relief spring in it. So I got to thinking that the overflow tank was still good. Now I'm leading to possibly believe the thermostat might be going bad. Anybody have similar issues

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As my son pointed out, I've had several coolant overflow bottle issues. The point of failure has been the return coolant hose nipple. It's plastic with a metal inner sheave. It failed on the origina

And now going on overflow tank number 2....  Same issue with first tank, bad Manufacturing on bonded seem of tank.  Definite design flaw with these tanks

I would still get it checked out with the dealership but if it's full (where the line says it should be) when cold (check in the morning before driving) I wouldn't worry about it. Liquid expands when

Posted Images

I would still get it checked out with the dealership but if it's full (where the line says it should be) when cold (check in the morning before driving) I wouldn't worry about it. Liquid expands when its hot (and it's been getting hotter) might have just noticed the little bit that over flowed (thats what the hose and all that stuff is for) topping it off puts way too much fluid in the resivor and as soon as you run the car it'll get hot and the fluid that is still in the engine will pump out making too much coolant and bunch will dump out of the extra over flow tank. This is normal and happens on every car. Also possible if you've had a oil change or something recently the service guy poured some in and spilled it on top never wiped it off

I would still get it checked out with the dealership but if it's full (where the line says it should be) when cold (check in the morning before driving) I wouldn't worry about it. Liquid expands when its hot (and it's been getting hotter) might have just noticed the little bit that over flowed (thats what the hose and all that stuff is for) topping it off puts way too much fluid in the resivor and as soon as you run the car it'll get hot and the fluid that is still in the engine will pump out making too much coolant and bunch will dump out of the extra over flow tank. This is normal and happens on every car. Also possible if you've had a oil change or something recently the service guy poured some in and spilled it on top never wiped it off

This is a recurring issue with the overflow tank losing coolant. About every 3-4 days it needs coolant added. You can even smell coolant when vehicle is being driving or parked. I really don't trust the dealership. We had a 5 free oil service changes when vehicle was purchased. On the 5th change, mechanic did not tighten down oil filter securely. Engine had lost over a quart of oil and the undercarriage was covered with oil. I did the next oil change myself! Lol

Oooh and one more thing about the coolant system. If the coolant gets low and car throws out check engine light cause of over heating, bye bye AC. I had to disconnect battery to clear out engine light. Chevy put a safety system in play so you don't blow your engine. It was quite weird to me, cause the engine had coolant running through it and overflow tank was full. And yet the AC compressor would not kick in because of the check engine light being on.

ya thats not good then if you can smell it something some where is messed up. go to another dealership. If you still want to investigate your self I'd try wiping everything down clean inside the engine bay and run the car in park for a while let it get hot and keep looking see if you can determine where the leak might be coming from. check your oil too make sure the coolant inst leaking into there ( busted head gasket) and no smoke coming out of the exhaust. White smoke would be coolant.

Oil is clean. No smoky exhaust. I have wiped and cleared area up twice now where coolant is noticed. The vehicle seems to lose coolant after its been ran(warmed up). The problem lies in the cooling system somewhere. Sensors, Water pump, thermostat, possible Clough, faulty radiator, etc.... Could be one of these, gonna have to do a little hands investigating. What's happening is coolant is building up pressure, than releases in to tank. That sudden surge of pressure and heat causes the overflow tank to fill quickly. When the pressure relief cap gets hit by this coolant surge it will release the pressure from the tank. There is a 90° elbow that is located just on the side neck of overflow cap. That's where the coolant is coming out from. I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting that pressure surge.

I'm having issues with the overflow tank leaking on a 2014 Chevy Spark. At first, I thought there was a small hole or crack in overflow tank. I noticed coolant on bonded edge of overflow tank and along bottom of tank where the rubber hose meets the tank. I have filled the overflow tank several times. on one of the times of filing tank, witnessed the coolant surging to the top of overflow tank right to the cap. The coolant pretty much came immediately back down. I removed cap and noticed the pressure relief spring in it. So I got to thinking that the overflow tank was still good. Now I'm leading to possibly believe the thermostat might be going bad. Anybody have similar issues

Looks like you’ve got some great advice here, Mtf1980. We apologize for the difficulties you’re experiencing with your Chevy Spark. After reading the thread, I understand your hesitancy to work with your current dealership, but if you’d like to have another certified Chevrolet dealership take a look at your Spark, we’d be happy to get you connected. Feel free to send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message if interested.

Best,

Jasmine

Chevrolet Customer Care

Edited by Chevrolet Customer Care

***I find it confusing when the same topic is posted in more than one place as one person may post and another may give a similar post and pretty soon no one knows what the darn heck is going on when all we want is to help the OP with a problem or making the correct decision....Maybe one of the 'admins' could blend some of these double same topic postings?

As I mentioned in an earlier post in the other section ( HERE ) I believe the problem to be a leaking head gasket. Remember that if there is no leak, the coolant has to go somewhere. Because the major symptoms, like coolant in the oil, rough running engine, overheating and whitish smoke of a blown head gasket are not currently present, I suspect the head gasket may have a very small tear between 2 cylinders resulting in the coolant blowback and disappearing coolant in the absence of a leak. If this is the case then it would take a while for the coolant entering the crankcase to show up as the small amount of coolant is most likely being burned off is small enough in volume as not to present any whitish smoke with very little, if any, making it to the crankcase and the engine not having any problem running smoothly at load. Another problem I have seen, but far less common is a very small crack or wear-through of a thin area between a coolant channel port and a cylinder. I doubt it is the thermostat as the only function of a thermostat is to open and close. The check engine light is closely associated with emissions and if some coolant were to be burned during the combustion process it should illuminate. If the Spark had an actual temp guage you would be able to see if it is overheating or not but the temp idiot light on the Spark is actually just reading the coolant level and most likely not the temp. Try driving under load (fast acceleration or speed) for a few miles without the AC on and with the engine running at idle and vehicle in park open the hood to see if the fan is running or coolant surging or bubbling. Bottom line is: take it to the dealer as this would be a warranty issue..try to explain the symptoms or show them a printout of this forum topic since minor leaks can be hard to quickly diagnose and murphy's law dictates that the symptoms vanish upon arrival at the dealer and return when leaving. If a gasket issue, it will only get worse and damage other components such as the CAT or other parts not under your current warranty.

I have seen people drive for a year or more with a very minor gasket tear without realizing any real difference in operation until one day they are going at full throttle on a hill or other high speed full load and the head gasket completely blows.

***I find it confusing when the same topic is posted in more than one place as one person may post and another may give a similar post and pretty soon no one knows what the darn heck is going on when all we want is to help the OP with a problem or making the correct decision....Maybe one of the 'admins' could blend some of these double same topic postings?

As I mentioned in an earlier post in the other section ( HERE )

Sorry, we can't merge the topics, only move them.

The vehicle is going to dealership tomorrow to check with this issue. I'm just hoping they don't say, ooooh it was some other problem and replace something that doesn't need replacing. And then have the coolant problem come back 3 days later.

Dealership replaced coolant tank. Problem seems to be fixed. I'm Gonna check coolant tank over next few days. Just to make sure problem is fixed. I myself am baffled on why a overflow tank failed so soon. Low quality and Cheap parts I guess. I own a 20 plus year old car with over 180k on it and it has its original overflow tank.

Dealership replaced coolant tank. Problem seems to be fixed. I'm Gonna check coolant tank over next few days. Just to make sure problem is fixed. I myself am baffled on why a overflow tank failed so soon. Low quality and Cheap parts I guess. I own a 20 plus year old car with over 180k on it and it has its original overflow tank.

Glad to see I was wrong about the head gasket failure causing the issue!..Must have been a defective pressure retention at the filler cap or somewhere else..anyway glad it was resolved under warranty!..As you say..keep an eye on it for now..

Glad it's fixed and stays that way.

We had to pay for it. Was not under warranty. Cheap part though ($25). I bought a new overflow tank prior to bringing it in. I wasn't to sure if it was the tank or something more major. Figured I'd let them run a pressure test on system just to be sure. Feel like an idiot, should've just installed it myself. Dealership only charged us $40 and some change. Funny story is. Bought the overflow tank from different dealership, called that place several days later and asked to speak to a service tec. Service tec was busy, left my name and number with receptionist. Never got a call back. So I called another dealership which is few miles further. Was pleased by the way this dealership handled us. Don't use Gordon Chevy on Dale Mabry Tampa FL. Highly recommend Ferman GMC on Hwy 54 in Lutz FL.

WTF? how would this not be covered under warranty? unless you've got a ton of miles on your spark. It's not a wear item. That's some BS. Thinking back I did get a thing in the mail for my Sonic about coolant loss (which seems to be happening now) I have to go find the letter but I have a feeling it had to do with the overflow tank and the seal around it or something.

• 7 months later...

Have the same issue, had to constantly refill reservoir and noticed coolant around the reservoir where its bonded together. I was unable to find the leak until today. Took out the reservoir and noticed a pin hole leak on one of the hose connections. I will try to post a pic below.

20sadxf.jpg

Edited by Gabriel Diaz

We had to pay for it. Was not under warranty. Cheap part though ($25). I bought a new overflow tank prior to bringing it in. I wasn't to sure if it was the tank or something more major. Figured I'd let them run a pressure test on system just to be sure. Feel like an idiot, should've just installed it myself. Dealership only charged us $40 and some change. Funny story is. Bought the overflow tank from different dealership, called that place several days later and asked to speak to a service tec. Service tec was busy, left my name and number with receptionist. Never got a call back. So I called another dealership which is few miles further. Was pleased by the way this dealership handled us. Don't use Gordon Chevy on Dale Mabry Tampa FL. Highly recommend Ferman GMC on Hwy 54 in Lutz FL.

You should not have had to pay for that bottle! I had mine replaced last year under warranty. It should be under the powertrain warranty.

I have had mine replaced once so far on my 2013 Chevy Spark. As I am writing this, today about a hour ago my Overfill Bottle failed again, coolant everywhere! My Father has had issues with his on his 2013 Chevy Spark as well. Obviously these overfill bottles are defective, especially if they are failing within about 30000 miles or less. My point is, you will be replacing this bottle again in the near future and constantly having to pay for the fluids; You will also be wasting your time and without a car during the repairs or waiting on parts.

Edited by bmixon148