Was driving my 2015 Spark with the drivers side window rolled down. All the sudden a piece of foam appears from the back of the dash near the windshield. Took my car into the dealer so that they could fix the problem. Service person said that he would order a new dash or a new foam pad that is under the dash and that this would fix the problem.

Got a call two weeks later that the dash came and that I would need to leave my car for a few days for them to fix it. Dropped my car off and was given a loaner car.

Five days went by and I got yesterday to come and pick up my car, was told that the dash that was ordered didn't come with the foam part and that GM engineering was looking into how to order the foam pad. Service person was very eager for me to return the loaner car.

Now I seat here and wait for GM to figure out how to get the foam pad, when that happens I have to drive back down to the dealer and pray that they have the right part. I should have been able to keep the loaner car tell the problem was fixed and not have to play games.

Bad choice to buy to a GM product....

post-2479-0-84697900-1440012536_thumb.jp

Edited by hippieelmo

because this car is made over seas and all the parts come from over there, its tough to get parts and know what parts they need. this is also because there are so few issues with these cars or they're random things like seeing a piece of foam that they haven't had to repair that before, so they haven't had the experience in doing so. Took the body shop a week to replace my dash after an accident (probably one of the most difficult piece to replace because of the layout) There were no driving or safety issues with your car, they're not going to pay for a rental while your car sits there for a week waiting for a part to come in. All cars have issues and manufacturing defects not just GM. It's under warranty its being replaced for free and you'r in a rental that probably cost $10k more than the spark you bought, plus your issue is a cosmetic one, not affecting drivability performance or safety, cut the piece of foam off and move on.

because this car is made over seas and all the parts come from over there, its tough to get parts and know what parts they need. this is also because there are so few issues with these cars or they're random things like seeing a piece of foam that they haven't had to repair that before, so they haven't had the experience in doing so. Took the body shop a week to replace my dash after an accident (probably one of the most difficult piece to replace because of the layout) There were no driving or safety issues with your car, they're not going to pay for a rental while your car sits there for a week waiting for a part to come in. All cars have issues and manufacturing defects not just GM. It's under warranty its being replaced for free and you'r in a rental that probably cost $10k more than the spark you bought, plus your issue is a cosmetic one, not affecting drivability performance or safety, cut the piece of foam off and move on.

I did cut the piece off as I got tired of looking at it. Service person was kinda of angry that I did it. I was driving in a Cruze (a little more $ then the Spark, but not a lot) it had foam sticking up in the same place as my Spark.

Had a 2005 Grand Marquis, never one problem with anything expect it got a very low gas mileage. The money I spent on the Spark, it should be flawless of any defects or it gets fixed since I have a bumper to bumper warranty.

I am with Skids. You haven't even started to play games with them. If that is the only thing you ever have to deal with feel very, very lucky.

The Spark could be a great car but it seems like GM and some dealers just don't care at all. What I have learned over the past year and the past 9 days while my dealer has had my car would make your heads spin.

I would hate to be a person that knows nothing about cars and have to deal with these people. It's bad when the dealers techs have to call a help line most of the time to get trouble shooting help then approval from them.

Even if you can identify the issue but they cannot they will not fix of replace it. The famous line "ITS WORKING AS DESIGNED"

The other thing that ticks me off is, you can ask multiple techs, service writers, and service managers the process of a certain problem and will get different stories that contradict each other. It's the blind leading the blind. Also the employee turn around is faster than McDonald's during rush hour!

The money you spent you bought the least expensive car in america unless you got an automatic trans then the second least expensive. these things are massed produced in korea a bit of foam sticking out is nothing. my dash/head unit had some white cloth sticking in between them, I scooped it out.. easy peasy. I haven't had any issues with this car or my 13 sonic and only recently started having little things start happening on my 07 silverado which have all been taken care of under warranty with in a day and normal things that happen after 8 years the tpms glue can't hold forever. I think you're making amountain out of a molehill for something you could have just taken care of yourself to being with. Dealerships are hit and miss find a good one and keep going there, piss them off and they have you on record forever, and usually treat you accordingly. It's like a waiter that brings your food, except this is your car, either way you want to be nice.

Time really flies, It seems like I just bought this car, and I have about four months left on my bumper to bumper. I am going over this Spark with a fine tooth comb, looking for anything that may be a problem, or a potential problem, so far she is good, but it usually strikes the day after the warranty ends.

I stopped by my pharmacy this morning, and was speaking to a guy there, who bought a Ford Focus, three months ago, turns out his transmission crapped out a few days ago, and he is driving a loaner, and has sworn off Fords, and is now a GM fan. :) It's all a crap shoot.

Welcome to the incompetence of GM.

Was is a black piece of soft wool padding?

Hippieelmo Replied: Yep, it was a black piece of soft wool padding.

That piece is one of a few (3-4) buffering pads commonly used in most vehicles between the upper dash and the front windshield creating a buffer to eliminate any rattle or vibration since the main windshield vibrates and the dash moves and vibrates different amounts to each other..so the black padding acts as a tension buffer by creating pressure between the windshield and the dash..usually about 3-4 pieces. If you have no rattle..yer good to go and replacing the dash is a bit extreme, will lead to more problems if not done 100%correctly and you can bet that the guys replacing the dash have never done that before on a Spark while the factory is more accurate since they have done it every day and follow very specific specs and steps. All that was needed was to slide some similar material between the dash edge and the windscreen...even a piece of folded cloth pushed in with a screwdriver or similar flat tool would do the job if you were hearing a rattle..if not just leave it be.

Time really flies, It seems like I just bought this car, and I have about four months left on my bumper to bumper. I am going over this Spark with a fine tooth comb, looking for anything that may be a problem, or a potential problem, so far she is good, but it usually strikes the day after the warranty ends.

I stopped by my pharmacy this morning, and was speaking to a guy there, who bought a Ford Focus, three months ago, turns out his transmission crapped out a few days ago, and he is driving a loaner, and has sworn off Fords, and is now a GM fan. :) It's all a crap shoot.

Yep, pretty much any car manufacture can have all types of issues. It just stinks when you have a subpar manufacture that seems to have forgotten the spark owners.

Just look at the Mylink, where are all the apps that could be made available to us. There has not been a update since the bringo fiasco.

I still wish that Chevy would allow a backup camera upgrade as we all know it's possible and even had a RPO code for it as a dealer add on.

Would also love the factory body kit available to which was in the original accessory add on for customers. It was labeled the z-spec and all that they released was a grill, pedals, and floor mats?

I wonder if Chevy could get a body kit shipped over in a new Spark to a dealer here. They could add it to a dealer order and ship inside of a spark so no additional shipping. I would love to do this.

As the the black foam/wool I would not even bother with it as your asking for trouble.

The money you spent you bought the least expensive car in america unless you got an automatic trans then the second least expensive. these things are massed produced in korea a bit of foam sticking out is nothing. my dash/head unit had some white cloth sticking in between them, I scooped it out.. easy peasy. I haven't had any issues with this car or my 13 sonic and only recently started having little things start happening on my 07 silverado which have all been taken care of under warranty with in a day and normal things that happen after 8 years the tpms glue can't hold forever. I think you're making amountain out of a molehill for something you could have just taken care of yourself to being with. Dealerships are hit and miss find a good one and keep going there, piss them off and they have you on record forever, and usually treat you accordingly. It's like a waiter that brings your food, except this is your car, either way you want to be nice.

I have the automatic one. To some this could be a inexpensive car, and others a expensive car. For me it is a expensive car, since I don't make a lot of money. I only buy want I need and not what I want. I tired to fix the issue myself by cutting some of the foam padding off, took it to dealership to have them check it out, was told that I'm not the only one. Service manager has seen a lot of vehicles not just the Spark come in with the same exact problem but there's was easier to fix, just order a new foam pad and install it and then your done. The dealer was willing to work it out, but GM dropped the ball since it is a imported vehicle not one that is made in the USA sounds like they don't much about but they want to sale it.

I'm happy with the dealership, but GM needs to help them a little with there imported models. If it gets fixed I will buy another car from them, I paid them for the car and I want to get all my money's worth for it.