• 4 months later...

Its rubbing a little nub in the well liners up front on high speed bounces now. just wearing some plastic. Have to slow my roll from 85 to 75 going to work.

As for the tires being used, I just wanted to be forthright in what the setup was, I don't know how close I would be cutting it with brand new tires. I did the drop with the used tires in case there were issues. Tear up old tires, not brand new ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Over 1k miles on city streets and in-city highways now. Plenty of pot holes and construction. There are definitely jars at times, but no $$$ problems yet.

The car's light weight helps a lot when it comes to pothole strikes.

I don't think anyone lowers a car and steps up on wheel size while expecting a smoother ride as an end result.

As far as looking silly, these cars look 'silly' to the vast majority of the population anyway. I'm sure everyone on this site has been the butt of jokes like "do you take that inside with you?" "wheres the rest?" "where does the carry handle go?" and such. Maybe someone thinks your hair looks silly, but you chose it and you like it.

• 1 month later...

And another update on my car. 3k miles into driving it lowered, and the front no longer rubs. The little plastic nub has worn away enough that it never touches the tire anymore.

I also just changed tires, still a 205/40R17 Hercules. I went from the Raptis WR1 to the newly released Raptis R-T5. The new tire leans more towards a high performance touring tire than a strict performance tire. The upside is the shoulder is more rounded, and I no longer have a rub in the rear end either!

So lowered with B&G springs on 205/40R17 on 17x7 +38 wheels, and no rubbing at all. It is possible after all.