Who all has 40,000 miles on your Spark?

We are getting very close to 40K on our 2013.

Just wondering anyone else with more or the same miles?

All in all, been a great little car.

I am very happy with the purchase. Love it.

I am anxious to see the 2016 models.

We may buy another Spark.

So how many miles do you have?

And how do you like your car after all those miles?

Edited by stevesparky
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad to see frustration free experiences so far for those of you in the 50k+ range.

I took delivery of a 2015 LS two weeks ago to replace my aging Mini Cooper S as my business beater. The Mini is to be retired to project car / pleasure duty while the Spark will be getting the full wrath of my lead foot and iron butt. My car had 2 miles on the ODO when I drove it off the lot and I'm already at 750 miles just 12 days later.

By this time next year I'll probably be around the 25 to 30k range. It took me less than 4 years to rack up 122k on the Mini before it had to go in for a rebuild. Here's hoping the Spark proves to be a cheap business traveler's best friend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just hit 72,000 miles on my '13 1LT-4Sp-Auto. New front shoes, rotors & tires at 50Kmi as well as new exhaust tubing from cat to muffler as the loop over the rear axle had corroded with a small hole at the top. Other than that..no unusual issues and the engine starts with a flick of the key and idles with virtually no vibration and still has the same pep at all speeds as when new.. indicating good and even compression. I run the car very hard with constant foot to the floor auto downshifting and long stretches of over 90Mph or higher. I am now using a Japanese made synthetic (Eneos) approved as excellent by our Range Rover Sport dealer in both cars. My Range Rover dealer, as part of warranty service wanted to send in a sample of the Rover oil to a lab for analysis and got him to send in a Spark sample after 6Kmi on the oil at the same time. The Spark results came back as in better condition than the Rover big V8 with about the same miles on the same oil...Neither car had any metallic in oil issues..all within spec, but the Rover had more carbon and far less life left than the Spark....so there you go..My Spark is still tight and much more fun to drive than the big Rover and to be honest..it handles better than the Rover..so Ya..it certainly has far exceeded my expectations for 72Kmi on it. I know someone who has over 100Kmi on his Pizza delivery Spark..also with no issues...Only thing I can complain about regardless of cheap price is the cruddy wiper blades that smeared from day one..and Florida has lots of bugs to smear..replaced them with a premium brand but still not 100% because of lack of pressure on the windscreen due to weak wiper arm spring..should have that replaced...OK..Nuff said..

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quickie note: An easy fast way to check the condition of the powertrain, wheel balance etc is to find a flat, cop free road and run the car to the max cut-off speed..if you can attain a speed at where the limiter kicks in, usually around 103-104 mph then the entire drive train is in excellent shape with good compression and other components. Due to the fairly heavy wind resistance of the Spark it takes a pretty well perfect engine and tranny etc to get there. Mine has over 70Kmi and will easily and quickly reach & maintain 104 mph with only a very minor wheel balance vibration at 75mph that goes away at 80...no shimmy or vibration at 104 indicates good suspension and steering components such as tie rod ends that will cause a shimmy at high speed if defective or loose.

Just a quickie note: An easy fast way to check the condition of the powertrain, wheel balance etc is to find a flat, cop free road and run the car to the max cut-off speed..if you can attain a speed at where the limiter kicks in, usually around 103-104 mph then the entire drive train is in excellent shape with good compression and other components. Due to the fairly heavy wind resistance of the Spark it takes a pretty well perfect engine and tranny etc to get there. Mine has over 70Kmi and will easily and quickly reach & maintain 104 mph with only a very minor wheel balance vibration at 75mph that goes away at 80...no shimmy or vibration at 104 indicates good suspension and steering components such as tie rod ends that will cause a shimmy at high speed if defective or loose.

Why does this sound like a dare to me? As in do it, I dare ya.

Haha...no...I guess I'm not very political correct and maybe I shouldn't suggest someone break the law. Maybe if you are a new driver you shouldn't do this, but it is a very simple way to test the car..Just make sure the road is straight and no surprise curves or cops..so, nope not a dare. A dare would be to ask if you can do that while blindfolded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
40 minutes ago, Chicagoan said:

Mine is 46k. A 2014 model and bought in 2014. Everything went fine. Just a few small problem (broken coolant bottle, no idea how it happened. I got a coolant flush and tube change half year ago).

Just too many manufacturer recalls.

The the leaking coolant tank is a known problem , a bunch of us have had that issue . Mine just broke recently at about the mileage your at now . 

I got 63k miles now and just replaced tires yesterday. I keep them inflated, rotated and balanced. Few minor issues since I got my 2013 2lt auto trams. Some I feel should be fixed by GM not me. Some have been fixed by GM. We all know the numerous recalls. I thought about starting a forum of complaints and suggested improvement. I do love my spark. But miss my 1996 chevy Truck (recently got rid of it). That truck only had minor and very fixable issues every arise. The one exception was an issue with the intake manifold gasket that the GM Orange coolant eats away. GM knows this and doesn't care b/c it takes awhile to do it. The replacement part is all metal and no issues. I also really miss my Hyundai it needed no maintenance for 8 years not even a battery. I just feel like my Spark is always at the dealer for something. 

Soon I'll hit the 50K mark . I had all the recalls done except for the door chime . My AC always worked fine so nothing was needed but a BCM update . For repairs I have had a pedal position sensor fail under warranty  and I replaced the leaking coolant tank myself for $29 . I have original brakes , rears like new and the fronts will probably go another 20K . I do oil changes at around the 50% mark . I have done the transmission fluid flush and cooling system at 30K . Of course air filter and cabin filter as well . I changed out  the battery recently as well  at the 3 year mark to be proactive  . I replaced the tires 20K miles ago even though they were perfectly  fine  with Nokian WRG3  all weather tires for winter capability . My Spark still looks and runs like brand new , it's been a good car .

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Lovgun7 said:

almost at 50, been traveling to mexico and nevada alot this year... i love it

With all that long distance and hot ambient temps...have you had any issues with the coolant tank?? Just wondering if this issue is across the bord or just on some units.

BTW..Always nice to hear of a trouble free car...mine is now just over 100Kmi and only issue was the overflow tank and a blown head gasket that was entiely my own fault as I had the car in D-low (4sp-auto tranny) and zoomed on down the highway constant at 6+Krpm's didn't hear it because my music was loud. My mechanic owed me a favor and since it was not a warped head..he shaved it a tiny bit and put in a quality stainless gasket, new stainless bolts, cleanup and rad flush...under $700..dealer's price (I Called just for interest) They wanted $2300 for new head and labor...

3 hours ago, Retired old Gearhead said:

With all that long distance and hot ambient temps...have you had any issues with the coolant tank?? Just wondering if this issue is across the bord or just on some units.

BTW..Always nice to hear of a trouble free car...mine is now just over 100Kmi and only issue was the overflow tank and a blown head gasket that was entiely my own fault as I had the car in D-low (4sp-auto tranny) and zoomed on down the highway constant at 6+Krpm's didn't hear it because my music was loud. My mechanic owed me a favor and since it was not a warped head..he shaved it a tiny bit and put in a quality stainless gasket, new stainless bolts, cleanup and rad flush...under $700..dealer's price (I Called just for interest) They wanted $2300 for new head and labor...

Wow how fast were you going and for how long ?. 

Well..I think it was around +60mph and in that gear I think it is redlined..drove about 20min then went to pass. Couldn't hear the engine rev due to loud music and then all hell broke loose. Not far from my mechanics shop..called him and my tow and he was right on it as I am a good customer mostly with the work he has done on my boat over the last 20 yrs. Only reason he shaved the head was just to be safe and it would be very clean..checked it all out, new stainless gasket, oil, coolant..compression is a tiny bit higher due to the shave but that's fine. One year warranty as always. Two Cuban brothers run the place and they have for over 20yrs...they sure know how to fix rather than replace...they do hi-end cars mostly and due to the small space they have a waiting list for customers.

I have driven 50mi or more in the proper gear on the 4sp auto at the max speed I could get foot on the floor the whole time..so maybe those tests had something to do with it...runs perfect and smoother idle now...I was told by him that the 1.2L Spark engine is rock solid and a gasket going..well, mine was the first he had seen....His parting words: "Senior, some times you can be not very wise for your experience and now I worry about your boat"....Ha..

Edited by Retired old Gearhead