Who all has 40,000 miles on your Spark?

Were you already past the 100K powertrain warranty ? I wonder if GM would have covered it as a goodwill if you weren't far past it . You certainly have put the Spark through its paces over the years and I would say it's held up real well . I'm looking forward to see how your Spark does over time as you seem to rack up the miles pretty fast . . Mine is still running like brand new as I near 50K . I'm surprised I have put that many miles on but I find myself driving the Spark much more than I originally intended . It's just so easy and hassle free to drive , very enjoyable ride .

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2016 at 8:09 AM, Retired old Gearhead said:

With all that long distance and hot ambient temps...have you had any issues with the coolant tank?? Just wondering if this issue is across the bord or just on some units.

BTW..Always nice to hear of a trouble free car...mine is now just over 100Kmi and only issue was the overflow tank and a blown head gasket that was entiely my own fault as I had the car in D-low (4sp-auto tranny) and zoomed on down the highway constant at 6+Krpm's didn't hear it because my music was loud. My mechanic owed me a favor and since it was not a warped head..he shaved it a tiny bit and put in a quality stainless gasket, new stainless bolts, cleanup and rad flush...under $700..dealer's price (I Called just for interest) They wanted $2300 for new head and labor...

no not at all.

the only issue ive had with my spark is Air leaking from the rear tires... apparently a few others reported the same so im not worries

On 9/10/2016 at 11:58 AM, sparkfanatic said:

Were you already past the 100K powertrain warranty ? I wonder if GM would have covered it as a goodwill if you weren't far past it . You certainly have put the Spark through its paces over the years and I would say it's held up real well . I'm looking forward to see how your Spark does over time as you seem to rack up the miles pretty fast . . Mine is still running like brand new as I near 50K . I'm surprised I have put that many miles on but I find myself driving the Spark much more than I originally intended . It's just so easy and hassle free to drive , very enjoyable ride .

I was at 106Kmi..and yup...I did inquire about the dealer or GM giving me a warranty break...but first off he is not too happy that I bought the Rover as I have been buying from him for years and secondly he would have to lie to GM about the mileage or he would have to absorb the cost..anyways, $700 is not hard to absorb after 106Kmi and it was my own fault. No, car still runs great and even though it is a low cost unit I still pretty well look after it proactively from a mechanical standpoint, keep the engine clean inside and out and all underside rust free, calipers and other area get a regular tire shine spray as it acts as a safe on rubber rust proofing..engine is shiny and calipers and rear drums shiny...just habit I guess..I'm like that with with all mechanical stuff and my boat engine is so clean you could...well you get my drift. Actually the Spark surprised me in that it runs like new at my mileage and still handles better than I expected..no rattles and the tranny is very responsive and the engine idles very smoothly..original battery still good and stops on a dime now on my second set of pads and rotors and drum shoes replaced once. No mods other than tires at 195/55/15 only because that size is a bit easier on the butt when driving on a rough, pitted road. Still get between 36 and 50mpg mostly because the compression is good and even and I use synthetic oil changed at about 5% or less oil life monitor and at that point I have burned about 1/2 Qt oil. I do agree with you that this is a very easy to drive car, handles and parks well and I actually drive it more than the Rover..I originally bought the Spark for my wife who had the nice Impala, but complained about parking and driving in tight traffic and narrow streets when she and her friends would often go to Miami Beach impossible parking and traffic on the mostly narrow streets...now I have put on more miles than she has but it's her car and she gets first choice when she needs it. I would buy another 2013 4sp auto tranny but not the newer ones with the CVT..that or a Sonic 6sp auto..for me it is all about size as the Rover takes us on the longer or only hyway trips...OK...TMI..'Nuff said.

What really surprises me is how well built the Spark seems to be . No squeaks or rattles , it just seems like it's still brand new . I just bought a new Buick Encore , which is small and that's about as big as I will go . I decided against another Spark only cause of dealer distance. I kept my 13  Spark though. I always wanted the Encore since it first came out  so I  fiqure now  is a good time to buy an AWD before winter hits .

Edited by sparkfanatic

My Spark manual has 49k! Had new tires which are the Hankook optimo, custom exhaust, installed my own fog lights that's connected with a fuse spliter. Lately I've been having alignment issues. I hit 2 nasty railroad tracks and caused the car to a delayed steering response and feels like it's "floating". Went to the dealership twice in 2 days to fix the issue. Thus so far it actually handles well except for the cross winds lol. I had the manual transmission fluid changed along with my last free oil change. I stocked up on oil and filters for another 15k miles. My car does this random thing were after driving and I stop and about to turn the key the car shuts off by itself. Once in a blue moon it does but nothing I should be worried about right? If I'm going 40mph in 5th gear I do hear what I call "rattling" and sounds like the throw out bearing is going or maybe a bad mount? I am worried the clutch is going because I bought the car in June of 2015 and haven't drove stick since 2011 so I basically taught myself. I hear people saying they are having problems with getting accustomed to the clutch. What I do is release the clutch until it bites and slowly give it gas while holding the clutch for a second and then slowly relase the clutch pedal. I'm getting currently 45mpg average and 42 rural driving with 60 highway/40 city.

Since it is past warranty, have your local trusted mechanic come along for a drive with you driving and see what he comes up with since a description alone does not narrow it down enough. I do, however think it is most likely clutch area related..could be a warped component or unlikely but possible, a damaged or loose throwout bearing or fork. Key/ shutdown issue is most likely electric or way to much stuff on your key chain...Just my best guesses on that as only a visual can confirm...

• 3 weeks later...

Well Abdul, you know enough that you like the car and that is what counts. Might want to consider changing to synthetic oil and change the oil now since a new engine throws a lot of junk into the oil when first driven. (Called break-in) a new engine. Lebanon winters are cool, dry and dusty and synthetic oil will help your engine health as well as mileage.

10 hours ago, Abdul Hafiz Al Masri said:

It's been about two months since i bought 2016 spark and now 4500 km. i know still little. but i absolutely love this car

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has 22000 and I'm done with it. I can't get out it quick enough. worst mistake of my life. I will never get another Chevy again. Worst customer service. 12 times in shop, 5 dealerships, 3 states, and 70 days in shop. AC issues, transmission issue that my rpms are usually 4-7 range to go anywhere or else no go, some sort of chemical is leaking into passenger compartment making everyone sick, poison control and public health department seems to think it's Ethenol glycol poisoning but yet GM won't fix it or even look at it 

• 9 months later...
On 11/20/2016 at 3:34 PM, Flygrl said:

Mine has 22000 and I'm done with it. I can't get out it quick enough. worst mistake of my life. I will never get another Chevy again. Worst customer service. 12 times in shop, 5 dealerships, 3 states, and 70 days in shop. AC issues, transmission issue that my rpms are usually 4-7 range to go anywhere or else no go, some sort of chemical is leaking into passenger compartment making everyone sick, poison control and public health department seems to think it's Ethenol glycol poisoning but yet GM won't fix it or even look at it 

Sorry to hear about your experience with Chevy dealers. I have owned 1964 Corvair, 1967 Impala, 1971 Nova, 1977 Malibu, 2011 HHR, 2017 Spark, all purchased new, and had always received decent service from Chevy dealers. But here is a clue, I prefer taking my car to either a Buick dealer or Cadillac dealer for service when possible. Those folks seem to be more responsive, and have much better manners, and seem to have the parts needed for Chevy cars, or they can order the parts.

On that 1971 Nova, I had 60K miles on it,  when engine suddenly began making horrible hammering sounds. The nearest Chevy dealer wanted to overhaul the engine for thousands of $$$. I studied the manuals, figured out what the problem most likely was, went to a Buick dealer and they repaired the bent rocker arm for 1/20 th cost estimate from the Chevy mechanic. Then I drove that car to 150k miles with no problems.

Edited by Bobby MSME

I knows guys back in the day who would always buy GMC trucks instead of the almost identical Chevy trucks just because they would be serviced by the the more professional Buick/Cadillac/Pontiac dealerships. Chevy garages have improved quite a bit over the years so I doubt if the difference is so great now. 

On 8/27/2017 at 10:31 AM, Fire Spark said:

I knows guys back in the day who would always buy GMC trucks instead of the almost identical Chevy trucks just because they would be serviced by the the more professional Buick/Cadillac/Pontiac dealerships. Chevy garages have improved quite a bit over the years so I doubt if the difference is so great now. 

It is not so much about competence of mechanics. It is just that at Cadillac dealership they treat you like a big shot. The nearest GM dealer for me is Cadillac and every time I am in for any service, even just an oil change, they feed me a custom order breakfast, free of charge. And Buick dealership personnel are also more respectful of customers than at Chevy dealers. Just a personal observation. With thousands of GM dealerships out there, I am sure there are plenty of exceptions.