Engine takes long to start...

It was going well when I took it for its 50,000 km service. A few weeks later, it began taking longer to start in the morning, until finally I was running the battery flat trying to start it. If I recharge the battery overnight, it still takes a long time to start in the morning, but eventually it does. After it starts it runs fine, and starts easily the next time if it isn't left for a long time. To me this sounds like the fuel pump isn't working properly. But the service people tell me it's the battery.

I asked them not to replace the battery, because it seems to me that if it can run the starter motor for much longer than normal, it must be in pretty good condition. But they will happily charge me to replace a perfectly good battery.

What I'd like to know is what make them so sure it's the battery? It seems obvious to me that it isn't.

• 3 weeks later...

A flick of the key to the start position should start the engine if everything is working as it should. Use a process of elimination to diagnose. A weak battery under load of turning the engine via the starter motor may turn it too slowly to properly initiate the ignition cycle which requires fuel, compression and spark at two of the four cylinders (1&4).

As Ray suggested "just turning the key on for a bit before starting" If that does not help the fuel delivery, have the battery (under load) test & If the battery tests OK under a load test as Miraj suggested, the starter motor/solenoid may be weak or binding. If the starter checks out OK move on to spark delivery test that involves the entire spark electrical ending at the spark plug, next, fuel delivery test and if that is OK, finally, a compression check. To start/run a gas engine requires only 3 things. Compression, fuel and spark. Fast way to resolve the problem is to go to a known good garage and have them check the above in the correct sequence since the fuel and spark delivery will have quite a few depenent parts and sensors and may even be a timing sensor that should retard the timing during the start-up sequence...Hope this post does not confuse & is somewhat helpful. {]:-(\)

•Since we all like a good technical mystery...please let us know the outcome of the fix.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

We had a problem of the car not starting. Turned out that there was a wire that had got thin (at least this is was the mechanic said), a wire inside the steering column, and he replace the wire. Had something to do with the car not being able to recognise the key and so the immobiliser? would stop the car from starting. Would get a sound of the car trying to start but never starting, then sometimes aft a few attempts it would start. Always thought is was a problem with the battery or the engine but turns out that is was an ageing wire. Car is sold now but is was starting fine since the wire got replaced and the problem never repeated itself.