I found a thread somewhere about this, I think on a different site that was several years old, but I cant find if its actually been done aside from where chevy did it for the WTCC.

I am curious if anyone knows what all would this entail? Would it just be a motor/trans/ecu swap? Would the mounts line up, wire harness, steering? If anyone has info that would be awesome because this could potentially be a very cheap and fairly easy swap with great results.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget the Turbo & clear the road boys. Momma's got a new blower!

Although I have a lot of respect for people doing their own mods or work on a car, I think the turbo mod for the Spark is a bit over the top. It would be very costly with unpredictable issues as this

You got it right, The 2k helps cover the medical expenses associated with the accident. It generally covers medical expenses for you, your passengers, and any family members driving the insured vehic

Posted Images

I have been wanting to find out the same thing as i am sure that motor will make the Spark run like hell. The only real concern would be how big would you have to go on brakes, what would the side shaft lengths have to be and would the gearbox still work or need changing and if it needs changing what would it need??

I have been wanting to find out the same thing as i am sure that motor will make the Spark run like hell. The only real concern would be how big would you have to go on brakes, what would the side shaft lengths have to be and would the gearbox still work or need changing and if it needs changing what would it need??

If you're looking for power, why the hell did you buy a Spark?

I would figure this swap would cost more than it would be worth, It would make a crazy quick spark, but it would also probably cost you as much as buying another spark in parts and labor. Too costly for me. Better to just by a sonic and tune it.

Just because we bought a small car doesn't mean we don't want to make it be the best it can be!!! No, it'll never be a Civic SI - but it's still got some potential to be a LOT funner to drive than it is stock. Besides, I can never leave ANY vehicle I own alone for long...

Just because we bought a small car doesn't mean we don't want to make it be the best it can be!!! No, it'll never be a Civic SI - but it's still got some potential to be a LOT funner to drive than it is stock. Besides, I can never leave ANY vehicle I own alone for long...

I hit up the VIP guys about their turbo hopping to get more info, the'yre working on a US version. I think the 1.2L in south america i the same as the US 1.2L ? isn't it? the videos they have showing acceleration don't look any faster than what we're doing now though :(

And hey I'm spank and probably embarrassing Civic SI drivers all day long with my CVT those fools can't shift to save their lives I'm doing 40mph and about to brake for the next light before they start to catch up lol

Couldn't tell a lot from video, but there's basically NO WAY that adding a turbo wouldn't increase the performance of this car! It's gotta be a complete upgrade though - would require upgraded plugs & injectors as well to match additional air & pressures.

Although I have a lot of respect for people doing their own mods or work on a car, I think the turbo mod for the Spark is a bit over the top. It would be very costly with unpredictable issues as this car was not designed for a turbo. Sensors, if not re-calibrated or replaced, would override any benefit to power. It would need a complete overhaul of all components that control the engine including the variable timing and VVT controllers, airflow sensor and injectors. Perhaps even the entire cooling system from the rad onward & an auto or CVT tranny may not be able to handle the extra HP and torque. I suppose that it is possible to do this, but you would gain only some acceleration improvement but I think the top speed would still be the same given that is limited by the gear ratio and max rpm.

I recently drove the 100mi length of the Everglades Pkwy (Hwy-75) with no stops or real traffic on cruise at 100mph and the same on the way back...so 200mi at 100mph is about as hard as you can push the 2013 Spark 4sp auto. No issues at all..but the point I'm trying to make is that a properly turbo converted Spark making the identical same trip would get there and back at the same time with the turbo Spark at greater risk of issues due to heat etc. My brand new Rover with the supercharged 500+hp would also make the return trip in about the same time at 100mph, however when slowing a bit in traffic and having to pass vehicles, both the turbo Spark and the Rover would arrive faster due to the passing power at high speed. I find the Spark quite adequate in city traffic acceleration with the use of the auto downshift when hitting the gas harder. So at $3K+++ is it really worth it to go this turbo route with unpredictable issues that may need additional $$$ correction? IMO the 10.5 compression VVT 16 valve engine is pretty well maxed out for power at a reliable engine configuration....OK..Nuff said...

so youre saying engine swap is the way to go? I always thought the guts from a pontiac solstice or saturn sky (maybe gtp or red line) would make this a sick little bugger if its possible to fit the engine and axle in the back.. 200HP RWD spark? yes please!!

Installing a turbo on the Spark engine is not inherently "dangerous" or bad for the engine... If you use the right parts, increase the injector size & have it tuned specifically for the turbo it'll work great - custom tunes address sensor inputs & wouldn't cause it to "override any benefit to power". The biggest thing to worry about is NOT going overboard on the amount of boost you actually use!!! In my case with a manual trans, I'd also require a blow-off valve to account for the surge while shifting.

Installing a turbo on the Spark engine is not inherently "dangerous" or bad for the engine... If you use the right parts, increase the injector size & have it tuned specifically for the turbo it'll work great - custom tunes address sensor inputs & wouldn't cause it to "override any benefit to power". The biggest thing to worry about is NOT going overboard on the amount of boost you actually use!!! In my case with a manual trans, I'd also require a blow-off valve to account for the surge while shifting.

Totally agree. I had a big post i was going to post yesterday basically saying the same thing but in more detail then decided it just wasn't worth it. You just have to keep in mind that there are people on here who aren't as informed as they think they are.

Might as well do performance connecting rods. Different head gasket would be needed. Custom intake runners as well and custom exhaust header too. Another thing would be a programmable ECU. It would take some money but would make a great sleeper.

Yeah but if you're going THAT FAR - the whole Sonic turbo engine swap would be a more idealic way to go. I doubt ANYONE makes off the shelf hop up internals for this engine.... Our ECM is programmable - just not sure how far it can be pushed but guess I'll know more come the 14th when mine is tuned.

Converting a Spark engine turbo is more trouble than it's worth. I agree the sonic 1.4L turbo would be ALLOT easier. If the sonic engine is built well, should be able to handle more boost then the factory boost. Auto manufacturers like to down tune there performance as to keep the engine proper running order. Often the more horse power you throw in to engine, parts break faster.

How would installing a bolt-on turbo kit engineered specifically for the vehicle be harder than a complete engine swap to a motor from another, larger car?????????

Again, if you bolt a turbo on & push more than about 6psi of boost into this little motor you could have issues - especially if your foot is heavy, but if you get it tuned accordingly, run supreme fuel, drive it decently as well as monitor boost & exhaust temps you'll be fine.

So you think bolting a turbo kit designed for this car is harder than installing a complete engine assembly out of a totally different car???? Can guarantee you'd need to fabricate some parts or at the very least adapt things to fit & it won't come with instructions and customer support like a turbo kit would!

10.5:1 compression only limits you on how much boost you can throw at it - it doesn't mean it cannot be turbocharged at all.... Yes, you would need to be more cautious of detonation, but higher octane fuel (93) & the right tune could easily sort that out or you could run an inexpensive methanol injector if you so choose to.

And I'm just not that into the Sonic's personally - I like the look of the Spark better and it's smaller & lighter as well. Not to mention I only paid $11,400.00 for it brand new!

If you're so against the Spark as a performance platform of any sort - why do you peruse this forum??? There are Sonic forum's out there after all...

An small engine with a current 10.5 compression ratio would need about 4-6psi to get a decent power boost. This would increase the compression to 13.5:1 at 4psi to almost 15:1 at 6psi..Other than needing the absolute highest octane fuel or retarding the ignition via the variable timing on the Spark (this would negate any turbo boost) to prevent 'pre-ignition' the 13.5-15/1 would most likely blow the head gasket at mid to higher RPM. Really pushing the car at higher speed would overheat the engine and certainly blow the head gasket as well as putting a big strain on the VVT assembly, piston, connecting rods, crankshaft & tranny in such a way that failure of those parts is almost inevitable over a short time span.

If power is required, best to go with a bigger low compression tuned turbo replacement engine that fits the small engine compartment such as a 2.5 4cyl or smallest v6. The mods required to turbo the current Spark engine to get any decent power boost would require a lot of expensive mods unless you go with 2psi turbo that would give you about 12/1 compression and you could get by with a steel head gasket and the highest octane available. Even at 2psi, I highly doubt the stock tranny could handle the extra power over time...heat for the auto and CVT and component metal fatigue for a standard shift.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

The biggest reason I purchased the car was due to the amount of miles I drive and with the cost of fuel in the country it had to be economical. Getting turbo parts or another engine over time is easier than going and buying a bigger faster car. I have no idea what you guys pay for a sonic in the USA or other countries but in South Africa a Spark costs roughly $13000.00 . Services and running costs of bigger faster vehicles here is very high. I would. D also like to make it a bit more powerful not huge gains but just thought I would ask if anyone knew what could be done