Installing MyLink radio in base LS model?

I bought a completely base model LS due to the deal I got on it, and now I'm slowly considering doing some upgrades. I've got a good deal on the Kicker speakers mentioned in the upgrade topic, so I'll start with those (and add the sub later), but I've been wondering - what about the radio?

I've seen MyLink radios for under $200 on eBay and replacement center console trim to fit it for about $100 - but would it even work on an LS? As in, would the LS have all of the necessary hookups? Obviously I wouldn't have steering-wheel controls (which I can live without), but I don't know if Bluetooth wouldn't work either (unless it automatically hooks into the OnStar mic/speaker?).

Yes, I can get an aftermarket radio, harness, etc and not worry about that, but I'd like to retain whatever small stuff you can only tweak with factory radio's, like how long the lights stay on after turning the car off.

The issue is getting getting the Mylink unlocked and to work with your system. Chevy says it's not possible but somebody posted the other day they found somebody who could get it unlocked to work. Chevy's system uses a special code key built into many of the individual systems and if that code doesn't match things won't work.

Chevy even warns it dealers that replacing certain key systems with spares or from a like vehicle for troubleshooting won't work and can cause damage or more issues to come up. Now they said the swapping of stereos from a different vehicle won't cause damage but they will not work.

Edited by Ray Dockrey

I wouldn't do it. I just installed a Pumpkin Pure Android head unit that does everything I could ever ask it to, and does it very well. All in all, I have $475 in it, and It can tether off my phone for WiFi, has Bluetooth that allows your phone AND Bluetooth ODBII devices to work simultaneously (for Torque), full android Play store for apps, comes with a decent navigation app, but I now use Google maps or Waze. I also use Amazon Prime Mp3 and SiriusXM apps for music. It is a pretty slick unit. Only thing you need to do to fit the unit is use an xacto blade to trim the back of the Metra bezel to take about a 1/4" off each side. I just flipped the bezel over, and trimmed along the inside of the ridge, and it fits perfectly.Radio is decent, but I NEVER use it. The internal mic isnt great, it has an echo, but for me that is not a big deal. If it bothers you, there is a fix for it over at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2660662

And Pics :)

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipMiCeVwCo2UOc7mJ_kyQ8Q0NnS1rSEBlXY_zLkT

https://photos.google.com/u/0/photo/AF1QipONtF6OOZN1FFJzkwjzcdpti0V9Lb5gky1ADkhQ