Usually when I'm slowing down to stop or park somewhere, I let off the gas pedal and without pressing the brake pedal, the car seems to brake itself when it gets down to about 20mph and then stops braking at about 15mph. Has anyone else had this happen? I've had the car 6 months and can never get used to it. It's rather annoying, honestly. Is this some sort of feature in these cars or might I have some sort of issue?

Usually when I'm slowing down to stop or park somewhere, I let off the gas pedal and without pressing the brake pedal, the car seems to brake itself when it gets down to about 20mph and then stops braking at about 15mph. Has anyone else had this happen? I've had the car 6 months and can never get used to it. It's rather annoying, honestly. Is this some sort of feature in these cars or might I have some sort of issue?

Hello JtotheK,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having vehicle concerns with your 2014 Spark. We understand it's rather discouraging to encounter vehicle issues so early on, so we do apologize. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of this issue? If you'd like, we can facilitate this process on your behalf. Please send your VIN, contact information, mileage and the name of the dealership you prefer to work with in a private message if interested.

Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon. :)

Best,

Jasmine F

Chevrolet Customer Care

It's something to do with the engine and saving fuel. Someone broke it down on here a good while ago, with a better explanation.

I have the manual transmission, and mine does it as well.

• 8 months later...

Dfco, in simple words. If the car is coasting and in gear, the engine shuts down fuel and spark to save fuel, resulting in the compression of the motor slowing the car down. Pretty much the engine shuts off and restarts after the car can no longer over power the compression to avoid stalling.

• 1 month later...