My solution for the Spark spare

Okay, here's what I did. I really did want a spare and not have to use the supplied compressor and goop stuff. After reading all the issues with the lack of a spare in the Spark, I took one of the stock rim/tire off to see if it would fit in the recess. It fit like a glove at least in my Spark! I wanted a like rim but could not see spending the amount people/dealers/others wanted for the oem rim. I opted to buy a Unique 83 generic rim from Discount Tire Direct for $59.00 delivered. I did confirm with them that there were no issues with the fit, especially for the front caliper assemblies. Remember this is a lug-centric fit and not hub-centric, but in my opinion, this should work well as a spare. Did a rim test fit and then found a good 185/55/R15 Hankook used tire at a shop; had it mounted and balanced for a total cost of $34.89. Picked up a scissors jack at the local Harbor Freight for $20.00. While there I found a 15" black heavy duty bag for the jack, handles and additional tools,rags, etc. So for about $120.00, I have peace of mind that should a blow out or flat happen, I won't be sidelined for hours waiting on roadside service.

I will be working on the final part, that being a method to secure the tire and tools. For now I just stuffed a few rags around the tire edges so it won't move. By the way, the flimsy rear carpet cover is flat and shows no sign of a spare being on board. Hope this helps those considering a spare.

Nicely done Ken! I always have respect for people who go out of their way to save some money by putting in some personal effort. Looks like this is an excellent and very cost effective solution. There is no need to go the OEM route for a spare you may never use, or if so, for short distance. This info will be very handy for those wanting a spare that fits the storage area and does not cost much. You probably saved $300+ by not going the OEM route...

For whatever reason it won't fit all sparks . I have the same setup bought from discount tire and bought the same Jack from harbor freight for my 13 Spark a year ago . The wheel doesn't come close to fitting in the tire well . I have to have it angled to get in the hatch area . There must have been some running changes made to the Spsrk . I think only 1 other person was successful getting full size spare to fit . Before anyone runs out and buys anything I would suggest they measure the tire well first .

Well, that didn't take long. I finished securing the spare in the Spark. I owe thanks to whomever wrote about the 4 threaded studs in the spare area. The nut size is truly 8mm x 1.25. A quick trip to Lowe's for all the hardware then got started early. I mounted a plate with 4 holes to the studs, attatched a 1/2" x 7" long threaded rod in the center for the spare lock down nut. I had to manufacture a 4" round plate with a center hole to secure the tire/rim. I used fender washers and appropriate sized nuts to secure everything. That spare is not going ANYWHERE and no rattles or sqeeks! Total cost of less than $5.00! Pictures would have told the story better but I was excited to get this project done. Sorry.