accident..no more sparky

wrecked today.. passenger front wheel is facing sideways driver side mirror thought it was too hot outside so jumped in the passenger seat but not before giving me a kiss and high fiving the rear view mirror.. driver side all scrapped to hell and drivers door only opens half way.. this is what happens when a toyota highlander trys to pull over for a fire truck and doesnt see you already there.. ive been in a few accidents but this one definitely felt the worst .. tboned in a 78 buick, rear ended in a caddy, and squished between 2 suvs in my silverado.. even though this was just a little side action little fella didnt stand a chance i was helpless just had to wait for it to end.. maybe 30 miles an hours.. i loved my little spark but ... dam imagine a bigger car running a red while youre turrning left.. shits scars me to even think about.. even if shes not totalled and they do fix er up.. im concerned.. supposedly these are very safe 10 air bags and such but just that body rock its alot to handle and im a big dude :(post-1584-0-11947600-1426282000_thumb.jppost-1584-0-41468600-1426282006_thumb.jppost-1584-0-88326600-1426282011_thumb.jp

Damned shame, the important thing is, no one was hurt. As Bluer said, the Spark will be fixed, and look as good as new. It will be your decision as to what to do. There's a big body shop a few miles from my house, they park a lot of the latest wrecks in the front, it creeps you out just to drive past this place, there are all size cars, and the big sedans, and SUV's are mangled just as bad as the small cars, no guarantees, just a roll of the dice....

very true. happy to be safe.. there were some super mangled wrecks at the tow yard they took mine too and just went fuuu....kk the tow driver just stared at em too like dam howd that even happen.. dont get me wrong i love this little car no complaints at all but dam scary all accidents are.. :(

The steering linkage probally broke off for the wheel to be like that.

Just some background on me.

I used to do towing and repo back about 12-20 years ago. It was a real eye opener to all types of nasty accidents. Some real bad with people dying and some walk away with not a scratch. Seen minor accidents with people really hurt too. Every accidents is unique.

After towing I got into auto body. My main job was a frame tech along with electrical, mechanical, etc. So fixing cars that were pretty messed up was common for me. I have clipped full front ends for insurance companies like it was nothing.

So right now you just had a traumatic experience that you ended up ok but it's a natural reaction. With time it will get better but in the long run you will decided for yourself. The main thing is you are ok and that is all that matters.

lol I think i get it. I mean no more sparky like I'm pretty sure it's going to be totaled.. If they fix it then ya it's still my daily driver.. just going to be much more careful..

but I agree weird that the wheel went sideways, especially since we were both going straight and it was rubbing straight against a curb but i guess i got push in too much and it got snagged and popped off?

I kind of figured they would, what surprises me is the 9k+. The metal work doesn't look that extensive, I don't know what it's going to take to straighten out the front end. Book value on the car, is more than the cost of the damage, so it's off to the body shop. You're gonna get back a nice shiny 2LT. Had they totaled it, you would have gotten back the current wholesale book value, minus the deductible. The check wouldn't cover a new car, without digging deep, so either way, you're ahead.

I don't know where you live but law in FL allows insurance to go up as high as 80% of the value before total. Most stop at around 70% due to the supplements that can push it over.

From the pictures it look mostly mechanical suspension work. Also no used parts may be used by an insurance company for suspension. Has to be brand new.

Walt because I put nothing down I had to get GAP insurance.. basically I would have rented the car for 8 months and been clear of payments for the next 5+ years so.. probably would of gone and gotten the $177/month lease theyre doing on the EV for 3 years and bought the new spark when i came out but..

bluer theres damage to both bumpers, both drivers side fenders, booth drivers side doors the roof panel above the door ,some how, the drivers side taillight, driver side mirror, both passenger side wheels.. and thats just the body damage.. so basically the entire outside of the car, and the whole suspension, transmission, thing thats all broken down there.. really surprised even if the cost is under that the sheer amount of work needed they didnt just go f*** it its totaled.

I've never financed a car, so I am not familiar with this type of policy, so they based the payoff on what the car cost, not what it is currently worth, correct? So without the gap policy, it probably would have been totalled. The pictures really don't show the full extent of all the damage you mention, but the insurance company is still going for the lesser amount, no surprise there.

well insurance usually (depending on your policy) will pay the what the car is worth not how much you have left to pay.. so for our little cars (and all others) once you drive them off the lot a big chunk of change disappears.. so say you still owe $16k like me but KBB values it at $12K youre stuck holding the bill for the remaining $4K to pay off what you owe.. basically screwed with out the gap insurance which covers the "gap" between what you owe and what its worth. the car being totaled has nothing to do with the gap insurance.. usually theyll total the vehicle if it cost more that 75% of the value to repair it or if its an older car and theres no part to repair it. so $12k value $9k to repair very border line here.. lol

the damage doesnt look that bad (except for that one wheel, and that still doesnt look horrible) its just theres so much of it just scratched the hell out of everything (littlee sucker did hold up pretty well) that its a lot of labor and parts, body shops dont do bondo and all that any more on new cars they just replace all the panels and its a lot of panels to replace

Gotcha, on the gap, they pay the difference, keeps the insurance companies hands out of your pockets. Thankfully, they don't use bondo, except for filling scratches. I've seen guys on the street, molding fenders with that sh*t. Looks good 'till you hit a bump, and it falls out. I know here in Jersey, they have to use all new original factory parts, and restore the car to the exact condition it was in, before the accident. No aftermarket, or junkyard parts. The rules change on used cars, they will negotiate with you, on body parts, bumpers, hoods, fenders, etc. to try to keep the price down, so they don't have to total it, but the decision is yours.

That's the first time I have heard of GAP insurance. Sound like a good idea, specially if you have it financed. I wonder if that kind of insurance is available for those of us who just pay cash, because my insurance will just cover the current value of the car with a small deductible as the best coverage they have. I have often inquired about 'replacement cost' insurance.... for example like replacement of a 2013 with a current year same car if available in the case of a write off, but have been told that is available as a separate policy that is not practical on a $15K car.

I will inquire about this 'GAP' insurance for ppl who pay cash for a new car. With interest rates so low, it seems more practical to borrow from a line of credit than pay cash that can get the same or more return if invested.

Sounds like 'Skids' got a very good settlement with the GAP coverage.

Gap insurance is only for financed loans. All it is intended to do is fill the gap between what the car is worth and what is owed on it. If you pay cash for a car there is no gap.

Yep, gap is not for the customer, it's for the bank to make sure they are covered in a total loss. Most car loans require this gap insurance if you are financing with little to none down.

As for parts it depends on what your insurance company has laid out in your policy. They can be new, aftermarket, or lkq. The only thing they cannot due is put in used suspension / mechanical parts.

They can also in this case order from a junk yard a full front clip for parts too. I can't tell you how many I have done with a front, side, or rear clip.

The adjuster will search local salvage yards in his database and call to reserve the parts. Then it will be listed in the estimate with name and number for the shop to use. Not trying to scare anyone but it's part of the business.

Now some insurance companies will allow you to pay more for all oem replacement in your policy.

Edited by bluer101

Gotcha, on the gap, they pay the difference, keeps the insurance companies hands out of your pockets. Thankfully, they don't use bondo, except for filling scratches. I've seen guys on the street, molding fenders with that sh*t. Looks good 'till you hit a bump, and it falls out. I know here in Jersey, they have to use all new original factory parts, and restore the car to the exact condition it was in, before the accident. No aftermarket, or junkyard parts. The rules change on used cars, they will negotiate with you, on body parts, bumpers, hoods, fenders, etc. to try to keep the price down, so they don't have to total it, but the decision is yours.

The body shop is bound by what the insurance writes in the estimate. This is what is required in NJ.

In New Jersey, where the insurer specifies the use of aftermarket parts, the insurer must disclose to the claimant, either on the estimate or on a separate document attached to the estimate, the following information in writing in print no smaller than 10-point type:

THIS ESTIMATE HAS BEEN PREPARED BASED ON THE USE OF AUTOMOBILE PARTS NOT MADE BY THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER. PARTS USED IN THE REPAIR OF YOUR VEHICLE BY OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER ARE REQUIRED TO BE AT LEAST EQUAL IN LIKE KIND AND QUALITY IN TERMS OF FIT, QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE TO REPLACEMENT PARTS AVAILABLE FROM THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER.

This applies to what your insurance company has in its policy to each customer. If avalible you can pay for all oem replacement at a higher premium. If you also want oem parts when aftermarket is being called for you can talk to the adjuster or shop to pay the difference for oem parts.

LKQ is just an nice way of saying, aftermarket, used, or salvage yard. I would rather have a good salvage yard factory part of a brand new aftermarket.

Edited by bluer101

I see there have been changes made, it seems NJ is one of the states that offers decent protection though, if anyone is interested you can go here http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0398.htm and get a state by state rundown.

That's a good link. I was looking at an older link I had saved.

I'm also not saying that every shop is dishonest but some shops do fix things not by the books. I have seen this first hand after an insurance reinspection after a repair. Just choose a good shop with decent reviews or word of mouth. If the shop

Is all messy and unorganized I bet that's how they will treat your vehicle and claim.

We used to keep all the old parts and sheet metal hanging on the fence labeled with work order. This way the customer can see all the parts if requested while picking up their vehicle. Most honest shops will do this and produce price blacked out part orders.

i did get a super deal buying the car nothing down and 0% apr for 6 years.. spending $800 for the gap coverage to CMA totally worth it and it paid off.. or would have if it was totaled.. even with the gap still paid less than msrp.. there are companies that will give insurance for a set amount, usually done for classic and collector cars and ones that have been customized and all that.

place it's at is one my insurance "recommended" so they warrant the repair and all that jazz.. and the shop has good reviews on yelp, plus they do lots of mechanic work which is what I'm most concerned about.