installed cold air intake and check engine light came on

You have probably bypassed the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS) which is attached to the tube coming from your stock air filter housing with an electric connector that goes to the ECM module. So it is reading too much air for the fuel injector output. Not sure how you would include that sensor into your new intake pipe as it is inside a tube that is part of the stock air filter housing. Without it the fuel injectors do not output enough fuel to match the increased airflow resulting in too lean a fuel/air ratio and thus no benefit and may run hotter than it should.

NOTE: Installing a new air intake without the MASensor will do more harm than good. With the MASensor: a little performance boost at higher RPM's eg; when passing at 80mph with a 4speed auto tranny and using the 'foot to the floor' auto downshift to 3. In my opinion, the only benefits of a properly instaled direct air intake system on a small engine is deeper sound, better appearance and small performance boost at higher rpm's. I forgot to replace my air filter after cleaning the compartments of some sand and without the filter it did have that extra passing power & a deeper sound..when I got back home and saw the white filter sitting on the driveway, I realized why.

Edited by Retired old Gearhead

Take that crap off and install the original filter. Way better for the engine.

I totaly agree as you once had the 'sport filter' system installed, found no benefit and went back to the stock set up. A small engine like this gets no real benefit from this type of air system and messing with the MAF placement is asking for trouble.

I totaly agree as you once had the 'sport filter' system installed, found no benefit and went back to the stock set up. A small engine like this gets no real benefit from this type of air system and messing with the MAF placement is asking for trouble.

Yes agree what you are saying but in the spark the air filter placement is not so efficient and installing an aftermarket filter done right then it can help you a bit.

the MAF sensor is plugged into the cold air. I'm gonna try cleaning the MAF tomorrow with electronic cleaner. I hate all the people telling people that stock is better. Hills that needed more gas before I can cruise right up. It definitely made a difference.

I recently put in K&N's 'High Airflow' filter as a replacement to the stock filter. More power at passing downshifts (Automatic 4sp tranny). Reduces gas mileage to 23-31mpg in 'spirited' driving but the real benefit comes when passing at higher speeds (80-90mph). Since there is no modification to any sensor, it accurately senses the increased airflow and adjusts the injectors accordingly by introducing more fuel to the combustion process to match the increased air density at the intake. To me this is the simplest and cheapest way to get a noticable 'high end' performance boost. The decrease in mpg is a necessary trade off as no power gain is possible without more fuel and air. Filter is rated to last for 50Kmi or almost unlimited if cleaned with an available cleaning kit. I just bought the one filter and will replace rather than clean. If you want to do a little test before you buy..just remove the air filter and drive the car hard and fast for a few miles in a clean road area..that is how the new filter will affect the power and MPG. Be sure to replace the filter once you are done the test as driving for long distances without a filter is, well, not a good thing.

• 1 month later...

Dont just stay stock because it's easier. I have the same DC Sport CAI and the same check engine light happened to mine. Turned out my MAF sensor was crap and I just bought a new one from autozone (lifetime warranty), put it on, and BAM, check engine light went away after a while. It runs nice with that and my 2" piping catback exhaust system with a magnaflow muffler. I need to make a video when someone is revving the motor while I take the video.

post-2323-0-54756400-1431687743_thumb.jp

My 2 inch catback exhaust with a magnaflow.zip

post-2323-0-61254900-1431687778_thumb.jp

post-2323-0-61053200-1431687785_thumb.jp

post-2323-0-17250900-1431687793_thumb.jp

post-2323-0-57852500-1431687799_thumb.jp