Just picked up a new LS, I noticed the LS does not automatically lock the doors when the car is placed in gear and gets above 5 MPH (like nearly every car I had in the past 25 years).

Do I need to set something, or can the dealer fix this, or are the door locks truly manual? :headscratch:

Or are the automatic locks a feature of the electric locks that are available in the LT's only?

I bought the car for my teenage daughters to use, they have never seen a car like this, and neither have I in 25 or more years. I figure this is a safety issue and the Feds would require self locking doors.

For a little car with traction control / stability control / anti lock brakes / and ten air bags, I figure the door would lock automatically to keep you from falling out in a crash.

Thanx!!!

Automatic door locks are not to keep you from flying out in a crash. They are a convenient add on. Unfortunately I believe the LS does not have power locks, they start with the LT1.

Most vehicles you can customize or disable the automatic lock feature. In the Spark the locks lock when put in gear if equipped.

yup you'd have to get an LT to get the power programmable locks. Locked doors don't do much in terms of an accident, In some cases you might actually get locked in. To me it's more of a I don't have to worry about someone running up on me at a stop light opening the door, ripping me out of my seat and stealing my vehicle. Most decent car stereo places can add the automatic mechanisms with an alarm and key fob to unlock the doors. You'd have to check with them if theres an alarm that will automatically lock the doors when moving or put into gear though, not sure on that.