Consumer Reports is at it again

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of the small cars take a beating by these CR mags. Read the early reports 20 years ago on the Geo/Chevy Metro. Most reliable car I ever drove. With the simplicity of this new Spark I expect a

I haven't experienced any of the things they complained about. For a car it's size, my cabin is quiet, seats are comfortable and roomy, and it never really shook my kidneys. As far as complaining abou

I've spent a few days going through a lot of postings here on the forum, and with all due respect, it seems that you do most of the complaining over and over. It seems that you are trying to convince

The Sparks previous to the 13 model that is sold here are much different , Gm spent several years improving it for this market . The ride and handling would not have been acceptable here . The Mirage in my opinion is barely acceptable transportation . It's a very basic car with high running cost and poor handling . The Fiat has poor build quality and reliability . I bought the 2LT Spark , but if they only made the base model then I woukd have passed and kept the Scion IQ. Also owned Brabus smart and again poor build quality and reliability and high running cost . The Adam is the only micro I'm looking forward to , hopefully they bring it over as a Buick .

Edited by sparkfanatic

The Sparks previous to the 13 model that is sold here are much different , Gm spent several years improving it for this market . The ride and handling would not have been acceptable here . The Mirage in my opinion is barely acceptable transportation . It's a very basic car with high running cost and poor handling . The Fiat has poor build quality and reliability . I bought the 2LT Spark , but if they only made the base model then I woukd have passed and kept the Scion IQ. Also owned Brabus smart and again poor build quality and reliability and high running cost . The Adam is the only micro I'm looking forward to , hopefully they bring it over as a Buick .

Sorry to say, buy I highly doubt the mechanical difference is very large. I have a 2012, and the US got the facelifted version, as we also have here in Europe. And technically the cars are identical - only cosmetic changes. So the quality is the same - and for European standards, it's a cheap, low-quality car.

And as I read through the forum, it only sounds like the US-Spark has been made more unreliable with various recalls. Things which have never went wrong in European models.

Funny to hear that the Fiat 500 apparently is made with less good materials for the US market. Here in Europe the running costs on a 500 is very low, and they hardly never break down.

Scion/Toyota iq was only on sale a couple of years here in Denmark, but due to stupidly high prices it sold less than a 1000 cars over a couple of years.

Doesn't the U.S. Spark have a larger engine? We have a 1.2L 84HP, I thought the Euro Spark had a 1.0L 68hp??? I don't know if the euro version has the CTV either.

Ok I found the 1.0L is the standard engine and they also have a 1.2L with 82 hp.

I still can't find out about a CTV availability.

Edited by Angrybird12

Sales stats mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the quality (or lack thereof) of a vehicle.

How many people bought Ford Pintos? Chevy Chevettes?

The reason the Spark sells as well as it does is price, period.

For a similarly equipped Ford, Fiat, Nissan, Scion, Toyota, Hyundai, KIA, or what have you, the price is higher than the Spark's and that is the ONLY reason the Spark (maybe) outsells the others.

If and when we actually do get a real competitor for the Spark (one that matches the features for the same price), that is when we will see if the Spark is truly a "winner".

There are mechanical differences . The motor was enlarged to give a broader power band for US roads . Your 2012 is really a different car than what we got here for 2013 . They tweaked suspension , wheels , tires , safety equipment , powertrain on and on I had a list someplace of the changes and it was extensive .

You can buy a smart , Fiat , Mirage and IQ for less than anything other than base Spark. The smart can be had for less than base since they sell at a loss . The Fiat and Mirage are always heavily discounted and or big rebates which puts them priced the same or less than a 1Lt . The Spark generally sells at sticker in my area , maybe a $100 off if your willing to travel . With rebates you can almost get a Fiat Abarth stick for the price of a 2lt Spark . I could have bought a 2013 Honda Fit Sport for not much more than I paid for for my 2013 2LT Spark and I'm a Honda guy lol . I've owned 3 of the Micros and Spark is far and away the best value and that's why are people are buying . When you compare whats standard to what the other Brands are nickle and diming , it's no wonder the Spark sells so well . The only micro that's on par with the Spark as far as quality build is the Scion but it's less functional and devoid of standard equipment . Once you own a few of these cars and live with them then it's clear which is the better choice .

My experience so far a with the Spark has me considering trading my 2008 Saturn Vue for a Trax. 7 months and almost 12,000 miles on my Spark and it always makes me smile.... Especially at the gas pump.

Sorry to not be able to agree a with CR as much as some people do. But I just can't based on my own experience.

Edited by Angrybird12

Like I tried to point out above, when they say it is no winner in the owner satisfaction survey, that means that people that actually own the car are not happy with it.

It has nothing to do with any perceived Consumer Reports bias, since it comes from actual owners.

Remember that there is only a very small slice of Spark owners on this forum, and the satisfaction or dissatisfaction here is only a minute (albeit lopsided) representation of how the multitude of owners feel about the car.

If you notice, if anyone here makes a post complaining about the car the post is immediately jumped on by people saying how great the car is (usually the same ones over and over), and the complaint gets lost in the shuffle, and the person that made the complaint disappears - I find that interesting.

Sorry, bud this is an Spark enthusiast forum. Troll elseware....

Doesn't the U.S. Spark have a larger engine? We have a 1.2L 84HP, I thought the Euro Spark had a 1.0L 68hp??? I don't know if the euro version has the CTV either.

Ok I found the 1.0L is the standard engine and they also have a 1.2L with 82 hp.

I still can't find out about a CTV availability.

The US Spark has the CVT that is also used by Toyota, Honda, and others. Currently, the only one that has a dual range feature. Sort of a hybrid tranny and has 2 gears combined with the belt and pulley arrangement. That gives it a much wider range ot ratios. The Engine is actually a 1.25 liter with 83 horses at 87 octane. More like mid-90's if you run premium petrol.

Sorry, bud this is an Spark enthusiast forum. Troll elseware....

This forum is supposed to be about ALL things Spark.

Good, bad, indifferent.

Thanks for proving my point.

If a little perceived criticism shakes your faith so badly, maybe it is you that should go "elseware"! :)

Edited by Gossamer

This forum is supposed to be about ALL things Spark.

Good, bad, indifferent.

Thanks for proving my point.

If a little perceived criticism shakes your faith so badly, maybe it is you that should go "elseware"! :)

Gossamer, you are correct in you perception of this forum, and you are entitled to your opinion, but it is becoming so repetitive, it seems you are constantly on the attack. You are a senior member of this forum, state your opinion, and let it go, that is what you're entitled to, but to jump every member who is happy with their car is ridiculous. Please state your opinions, but restrain the constant criticism, of every poster.

WaltK, maybe I'm missing something, but when have I attacked anything or anyone?

In this thread, I merely pointed out something that was in an article that YOU linked to, and when it was ignored I once again tried to get a conversation started is when I was "attacked" for pointing out that owners are not too happy with the Spark.

I've been accused of complaining, but what have I complained about? Problems with MY car and the way GM screwed me over.

Lets see, I was called a troll and in a roundabout way a liar (by you - a moderator), but I shouldn't defend myself or the truthfulness of my posts?

Whatever.

Iam very happy with my 2014 spark I've had the recalls done and not had any problems at all love the car , I researched the spark before I bought it it does everything I want it to to . I love the gas mileage on the spark even in sub zero wheather it's great , my monthly gas bill has gone down at least 200 per month since getting the spark . Very happy spark 2lt owner

WaltK, maybe I'm missing something, but when have I attacked anything or anyone?

In this thread, I merely pointed out something that was in an article that YOU linked to, and when it was ignored I once again tried to get a conversation started is when I was "attacked" for pointing out that owners are not too happy with the Spark.

I've been accused of complaining, but what have I complained about? Problems with MY car and the way GM screwed me over.

Lets see, I was called a troll and in a roundabout way a liar (by you - a moderator), but I shouldn't defend myself or the truthfulness of my posts?

Whatever.

I am not here to debate you, and I am not in the mood to sort out and link to the posts you've made regarding what a piece of sh*t the Spark is. I think the majority of the members here know you're feelings regarding the car, there is no need to keep beating the same drum. As one member pointed out, this is a Spark enthusiasts board, that's not to say the car cannot be criticized, but the repetition is a bit much. Lets just look at what you have posted under your avatar, "current vehicle" 2013 POS Spark, so I think you've made your point, understanding what "POS" means. A few points, yes I linked to the article, thinking some members might find it an interesting read, I do that frequently. As far as your post being ignored, that is not true, there were some replies that just disagreed with you and moved on. As far as being a moderator, one job is to keep things running smoothly, and orderly, and this is getting a bit out of hand, and disturbing some members.

You are welcome to post a new topic, and give all your opinions negative or positive regarding the Spark, and if someone is so inclined they can chime right in and engage you, in a spirited debate. Lets just stop sprinkling this negativity all over the forum.

One last time I'll try to explain what you and others don't seem to get.

First, if I thought the Spark was "a piece of sh*t", why did I try to get a replacement of MY POS with a new Spark?

I even went so far as to tell our wonderful Chevy reps that I would be willing to trade the car in FOR A NEW ONE if they would cover the difference between the loan and the value of the car.

I must really hate the car, huh?

Next, as far as negativity, that is a matter of perception. You (and whatever others) read what you want to in my posts.

Please point out where in this thread I was negative about the car.

Nowhere did I say I agreed with the survey, I just pointed it and wanted to discuss it since most members seem to be satisfied, but the owners that CR surveyed obviously weren't, but it became about me not about the survey or why the owners surveyed weren't happy.

Then I pointed out that sales stats have nothing to due with quality - do you believe they do?

Again, I made a truthful observation that the Spark sells because it is cheap and well equipped - not knocking the car just pointing out the truth.

When I posted a link to an article a few months ago from Car Connection saying the Spark was the second worst car on the road (which again, I never said I agreed with), and I was jumped on for the post, yet you post a link to CR slamming the car and I'M still wrong???

I know that sometimes it is hard to comprehend the written word online, but you (and others) are taking the wrong message from my posts.

I'll try to explain it one last time and I'll even type it slowly: I do not have a problem with the car itself, I have a problem with MY car which is a lemon, and GM for not following through with replacing it.

I hope that clear enough for you and the "others" that my "negativity" offends.

I'm done.

Edited by Gossamer
  • 2 weeks later...

Taking mine in the morning for the hood latch recall. Saturday we (wife, mother-in-law and myself) drove it down to Pigeon Forge and back. Today we drove over the mountain to Asheville NC. 323 miles total since Saturday, all on one tank of gas, averaged 40.12 mpg calculated, DIC showed 39.4 mpg. Passing cars on cruise control going up the mountain, Loving this little bugger.

Edited by Angrybird12
  • 2 months later...

Consumer Reports has been literal scum since the 90's. Ive hated them ever since they falsified their tests and findings to try and make the Suzuki Samurai tippy (and even after making the slalom course tighter they only managed to bicycle it once when trying). I literally loathe that rag publication because thanks to them I cant buy a damn Suzuki Jimny here in the US. All becausre they had an unfair gripe with the Samurai.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no fan of CR, and as was posted, nearly all small cars take a beating in their publication.

With regards to the owners' survey, I take it with a grain of salt—no matter what car it is. There isn't any differentiation between a broken radio and a cracked engine block. Plus, the majority of car buyers (not us fringe lunatic car enthusiasts) are going to complain more about a smaller, less expensive car, than a bigger vehicle, such as a Malibu, Fusion, Camry, or Accord, for example. But so be it. Again, I take it with a grain of salt. I've driven nearly every small car on the market for Subcompact Culture, and I think the Spark is a great vehicle for what it is. But again, I take the owners' survey with some bit of caution.

• 8 months later...

Senyah you are 100 percent correct I permed two geo metros and they were great cars. I don't give a darn what consumer reports or anyone else says about a car I drive.i bought and drive a spark because they are a great little fuel efficient car! I love all the features my 2lt has even heated seats! My metro s never had nor was all the features available back then on those. The spark gets beat up by CR and the eps ratings for fuel milage. I have only had one tank I've gotten less than 40 mpg and my most recent jaunt I went round trip to Niagra falls Canada and averaged 47 mpg driving the speed limit which was 65-70 mph. They could not be more wrong! Plus they never asked me to participate in any suvey!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone who drives one for long miles knows the person who wrote that got the hard to use the info center by reading the manual and not actually using it. They must get confused easily. The rest of the info looks like they took a fast peek at interior pics and guessed how it would ride and level of cabin noise.

Conclusion. Some millennial metro sexual parties too hard with his hipster consumer reporting company and needed to finish something for a dead line. It's so far off it has to be made up.

• 2 months later...

Thanx for the link to the CR review. It is nice to see a good review for a change, and I sincerely hope it is accurate. The "test pilot" doesn't appear to be much of a qualified automobile critic. :) This is one of the reasons that the majority here doesn't have much faith in the Consumer Reports reviews. Don't misunderstand my post, I wish all the new '16 owners the best with their new purchases, and I hope the new Sparks are an improvement. I just don't have much faith in their critiques, crucifying my 2013, after 3+ years of driving it, particularly with the problem free 4 spd gearbox.

Edited by WaltK